Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2021, 9:50 pm

Depending on if you're coming from SF or LA, if from SF I would spend a day or two in Monterey/Carmel. Plenty of things to do like 17-mile drive, beach, Point Lobos, whale watching. Then 3 days in Big Sur to end on a high note.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Scrotty
Any idea when they will be gone? We will be there in about a week.
The yellow jackets or the corporate group?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:00 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Depending on if you're coming from SF or LA, if from SF I would spend a day or two in Monterey/Carmel. Plenty of things to do like 17-mile drive, beach, Point Lobos, whale watching. Then 3 days in Big Sur to end on a high note.
Coming from SF. I would love to visit Monterey and stay near Pebble beach. Is golfing on 17-mile drive available rn for random people like me? Any recommendations for nice hotels (on a similar level to the Ventana Big Sur) in the area? Thx
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Aeroplan 35k; Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I can't speak to lodging in the immediate Pebble Beach area. I think it's dominated by private house rentals. Or non luxury properties like HR Monterey.

Not sure if you're looking for exclusively Hyatt or points options, but I love Bernardus. We did 17 mile drive and checked out Pebble Beach while we were staying there. Not a golfer so not sure about playing options.

I'd put Bernardus on par with Ventana. I'd say Carmel Valley Ranch, while lovely, is just a notch below Ventana, though I imagine there are plenty who would quibble with that. But CVR can be a good value for the area if points availability works out.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:32 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TravelingChef
I can't speak to lodging in the immediate Pebble Beach area. I think it's dominated by private house rentals. Or non luxury properties like HR Monterey.

Not sure if you're looking for exclusively Hyatt or points options, but I love Bernardus. We did 17 mile drive and checked out Pebble Beach while we were staying there. Not a golfer so not sure about playing options.

I'd put Bernardus on par with Ventana. I'd say Carmel Valley Ranch, while lovely, is just a notch below Ventana, though I imagine there are plenty who would quibble with that. But CVR can be a good value for the area if points availability works out.
Thx. I am happy to stay at non-Hyatt and non-points hotels. Bernardus looks great. Willing to book that over Caramel Valley if it’s meaningfully better. Otherwise, happy to burn Hyatt points on Caramel Valley. Just being careful to limit hotel quality variation as I’m traveling with people that are more sensitive to this. I’ll post in the Caramel Valley thread.

Based on the feedback here, I will cut my Ventana stay to 4 nights. I suspect I am more of a lazy traveler than most people here so I’m giving myself a 1 day buffer. Looks like there is not even a single date available for points bookings (can’t even find premium suites) for the date range I’m looking at.

Looks like Hyatt Prive is the best option to book cash rates.
bcosinteno likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Thx. Won’t derail this thread too much with non Ventana Big Sur stuff other than to ask if you have any suggestions for hotels comparable to the Ventana near the Pebble Beach area?
Not Pebble Beach/Carmel-by-the-Sea, but Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley is a great retreat with similarly expansive grounds, spa and nice dining. Even though it's less than 50 miles from Ventana, you'll definitely notice a difference in the climate since CV is inland.
Another option is to contrast a retreat like Ventana with a stay in one of the numerous inns, boutique hotels or B&Bs in Carmel, Monterey or Pacific Grove (PG seems to fly under the radar, but I feel like it has a more relaxed vibe than bougie Carmel). That's what we did for our local-ish staycation in the spring. It's nice to have your pick of different restaurants in town after eating the same menu for 3 days.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 12:27 pm

Coming from SF. I would love to visit Monterey and stay near Pebble beach. Is golfing on 17-mile drive available rn for random people like me? Any recommendations for nice hotels (on a similar level to the Ventana Big Sur) in the area? Thx
I believe for the three main courses in Pebble, you have to spend the night at one of their accomodations in order to play. I've never done it, but my understanding is it's less of a "who you know" situation than other courses and more of a getting in when they release new bookings...but still tough to snag a tee time.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 2:13 pm

If you're not tied to points availability and paying cash, want something upscale, and do have 6 days I'd strongly consider driving the 3-4 extra hours south and stay at Rosewood Miramar Beach. It is nicer than Ventana at a similar $2k per night.

As far as 6-days at Ventana, I'm with the others that'd probably be to long, but it really depends on your interests. It is a nice property and I found the service extremely friendly. There's obviously a lot of nice hikes, etc. but hiking and laying out by the pool does get boring to me. If hiking is your thing you could probably spend a month there and love every minute of it.

As far as the Ventana menu getting old, apparently a lot of people in this thread haven't figured it out, but there are other restaurants in Big Sur and the surrounding area that aren't at the hotel. Just because there's free food doesn't mean you need to build your entire trip around it ...
janehoya likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP Gold 100K, Hilton Diamond(Amex), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by boolean64
I believe for the three main courses in Pebble, you have to spend the night at one of their accomodations in order to play. I've never done it, but my understanding is it's less of a "who you know" situation than other courses and more of a getting in when they release new bookings...but still tough to snag a tee time.
Poppy Hills and the Pacific Grove muni course are nice courses. Poppy is in Pebble Beach. It’s the NCGA home course
Old Sep 7, 2021, 5:15 pm

We did Ventana and Alila Napa recently, with a night in SF (Hotel Kabuki) to visit some friends that broke up the drive (about 2 hours each trip).

Originally Posted by TravelingChef
I should clarify that while I do think 6 nights at Ventana is arguably too long, my logic there is based on a combination of its cost on cash or points, and just generally limited "stuff to do."

I've stayed at the Ritz Half Moon Bay a few times for work and if you're not from the area I think it'd certainly be nice for 2-3 days. The hard product isn't on par with Ventana but the overall experience and location is quite nice.

Again, Half Moon Bay is a 40 minute drive for me and we go to the Ritz a few times a year for a weekend staycation, so others very well may find it a far more compelling option than I do, as I'm admittedly generally jaded with Bay area options after a decade here.

Without scrolling back up, I think I recall some folks who considered doing a Ventana Big Sur trip and a Napa trip as a split. If logistically feasible for you (timing, rental car, points availability etc), I think that's a winning combo, the Big Sur vs Napa change of scenery is significant enough that you feel like you're getting two totally different vacations on the same trip.

Without traffic, Big Sur to Napa is a 3.5hr drive. I get pretty antsy in a car after little more than two hours, so I totally understand if someone were to say that trek sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Though, in this instance, if someone were up for the drive I think it'd be worth it. Especially if you've never been to Napa and/or are really into wine.
TravelingChef likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
I was sitting next to a group of 6-8 corporate event planners at dinner at the Sur House Wednesday night, sounded like they came in from all over the country for this weekend's buyout. Seemed likely to be a corporate buyout of some type. They mentioned they had certain rooms for security staff and then on Thursday morning when we were checking out there were about 8 county sheriffs and a few vehicles in one of the lower lots having a meeting. Seemed like it was going to be a pretty high profile event.
mpeterson78 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 6:54 am

Thx. I am happy to stay at non-Hyatt and non-points hotels. Bernardus looks great. Willing to book that over Caramel Valley if it’s meaningfully better. Otherwise, happy to burn Hyatt points on Caramel Valley. Just being careful to limit hotel quality variation as I’m traveling with people that are more sensitive to this. I’ll post in the Caramel Valley thread.

Based on the feedback here, I will cut my Ventana stay to 4 nights. I suspect I am more of a lazy traveler than most people here so I’m giving myself a 1 day buffer. Looks like there is not even a single date available for points bookings (can’t even find premium suites) for the date range I’m looking at.

Looks like Hyatt Prive is the best option to book cash rates.
Big plus one on Bernardus - lovely property that we keep going back to.
TravelingChef likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 4:31 pm

First time here and is the service usually this painfully slow? Waiting for check in and kept being told room is ready but we cannot get it until it’s “inspected” but it will be ready in 30 minutes. It’s been same line for almost 3 hours now. Ok not end of the world since we got here early, but it’s a bit chilly and they heatlamps aren’t working. Someone came by and said they would turn them on. That was 45 minutes ago and I guess they cannot find a lighter to turn them on. At the nightly rates you would think the service would be way faster.

On the positive side the sun deck service was friendly and quick.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 5:26 pm

Coming from SF. I would love to visit Monterey and stay near Pebble beach. Is golfing on 17-mile drive available rn for random people like me?
For Pebble Beach, if you're not staying on-site, you can book only the day prior. For Spy and Spanish, you don't need to stay on-site. I think you can book 30 or 60 days out. Same with Del Monte and The Hay.

If you're playing multiple rounds with several people, you save quite a bit with the membership.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by drewdawg199
I was sitting next to a group of 6-8 corporate event planners at dinner at the Sur House Wednesday night, sounded like they came in from all over the country for this weekend's buyout. Seemed likely to be a corporate buyout of some type. They mentioned they had certain rooms for security staff and then on Thursday morning when we were checking out there were about 8 county sheriffs and a few vehicles in one of the lower lots having a meeting. Seemed like it was going to be a pretty high profile event.
The Biebers were there last month. I think they would have private security not sheriff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.