Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2021, 2:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by CrashDavis
We are here right now too. We dined outside the past couple of nights, including tonight, and they had the heaters on and the gas “fireplaces” on. We were both comfortable and are Californians (so get chilly easier than most folks). The outside dining was packed tonight, as it seems a fair amount of people just arrived today.
Great! Just the datapoint I was looking for. Thanks!

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 4, 2021, 2:00 pm

Sold again for record price.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2021/11/04/ventana-big-sur-sold-again-setting-new.html?
Skink likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kk25folsom
Just booked New Year's weekend (12/30-1/2) last night @ 30k. Was more availability on same dates even after I booked.
We also just booked New Years a few days ago for those exact dates!must've snagged the leftovers from what you had!

Guess we'll see you there
Old Nov 4, 2021, 4:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Just three months after Hyatt Hotels Corp. purchased the 59-room Alila Ventana Big Sur resort for $148 million in June, the company has flipped the hotel to Host Hotels & Resorts Inc. for $150 million, breaking the per key record for resort sales at $2.54 million.
I'm looking forward to the reality TV show Flip This Hotel.

Last edited by nsx; Nov 4, 2021 at 4:45 pm Reason: Article excerpt added
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Weird for them to flip from 148m to 150m. You'd think the fees alone would eat up more than 2m of value.
MSPeconomist and jona970318 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ralphs
Weird for them to flip from 148m to 150m. You'd think the fees alone would eat up more than 2m of value.
They got a lengthy management contract, commitment from the buyer to invest money and they got it off their balance sheet before the ALG deal closer. Hyatt came out a winner on this one IMO.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ralphs
Also, that article is all sorts of confused. They keep referring to Hilton instead of Hyatt?

Last edited by coleslaw; Nov 4, 2021 at 6:24 pm
Old Nov 5, 2021, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by coleslaw
They got a lengthy management contract, commitment from the buyer to invest money and they got it off their balance sheet before the ALG deal closer. Hyatt came out a winner on this one IMO.
That was my immediate thought before I even saw the details ("I bet they kept the management contract"). Nice implementation of the asset-lite strategy, purchasing the property then flipping it in order to protect the management contract. It actually serves WoH members better, because the Hyatt owned/leased properties are among the stingiest in the system.
DaveH and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 8:52 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Flipping the property was Hyatt's plan. From a news release issued 8 June (emphasis added)...

"On June 3, 2021, a Hyatt affiliate acquired the 59-room Ventana Big Sur, an Alila Resort, located in Big Sur, California for approximately $148 million, securing the Company’s long-term brand presence in a highly sought-after resort destination. The resort, situated on 162 acres in one of the world’s premier leisure destinations, also includes 63 distinctive camping areas and 15 tent cabins and is one of three world-class Alila resorts operating in California. The resort is well-positioned to be considered as part of Hyatt’s capital strategy and Hyatt intends to turn to evaluating the sale of this asset while retaining a long-term management agreement."
Old Nov 5, 2021, 10:28 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Hyatt definitely lost money on the deal after all fees and closing costs. I don’t know why people are so celebrating the fact that they sold it with a “long-term” management contract when

a) These long-term contracts are trivial to maneuver out of (for a price obviously)
b) This is standard practice for hospitality companies when dumping important assets

Seems like the original Ventana management contract was under threat and Hyatt decided eating a loss here was worth keeping the property?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Hyatt definitely lost money on the deal after all fees and closing costs. I don’t know why people are so celebrating the fact that they sold it with a “long-term” management contract when

a) These long-term contracts are trivial to maneuver out of (for a price obviously)
b) This is standard practice for hospitality companies when dumping important assets

Seems like the original Ventana management contract was under threat and Hyatt decided eating a loss here was worth keeping the property?
It absolutely was worth keeping when it was the most prominent member of the Alila brand at the time. Hard to convince new owners to join a fledgling brand when existing owners are trying to dump it.

Note the first thing Hyatt did when taking it over was change the branding from Ventana, an Alila Resort to Alila Ventana Big Sur.

They also sold it to Host, a REIT whom they've trusted with owning some of their most prominent divestitures - Grand Hyatt San Francisco, Andaz Maui, Coconut Point - and a company that owns 1/3 of all the US Grand Hyatt properties. They aren't going to pull the flag.

At the time I thought maybe Hyatt were upset with the clear gaming of WoH reimbursements by the owners. It now seems more likely the developers of the hotel always intended to flip it when it stabilized (and rumors are the economics were a bit shaky before the all inclusive model/WoH came along). Hyatt was just being defensive.

Last edited by drnilescrane; Nov 5, 2021 at 12:31 pm
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:14 pm

From Hyatt's Q3 2021 Earnings Release:
Alila Ventana Big Sur— a Hyatt affiliate sold the 59-room Alila Ventana Big Sur, located in Big Sur, California for approximately $150 million (approximately $148 million, net of closing costs and proration adjustments), and entered into a long-term management agreement.
They didn't lose (or didn't lose much) money.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Unless you've actually seen the agreement, you have no clue how easy or costly it would be for the owner to term the management agreement prior to expiration.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:40 pm

my Hyatt contact says Ventana will be changing to Miraval pricing of 65K/n for 2 adults in 2022, likely during Feb/Mar category changes. unclear if branding stays Alila Ventana or shifts to Miraval Ventana.
nsx likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:45 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Colin
my Hyatt contact says Ventana will be changing to Miraval pricing of 65K/n for 2 adults in 2022, likely during Feb/Mar category changes. unclear if branding stays Alila Ventana or shifts to Miraval Ventana.
I gave this a Like even though I don't actually like the news. I figured the Ventana deal would degrade before 2023 but this would be much sooner and much steeper a devaluation than I imagined.

Peak pricing is looking like the least of our problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.