Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryandc99
There is a daily hike I think around 10 am that is open to any resort guest. It is free and departs daily. I would not call it strenuous at all.
That's more like a property tour. I suppose for a property tour, it's strenuous, but I don't think it gets to the level of a hike.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:51 pm

We'll be there in a few weeks. Is there anything I need to book in advance? Dining reservations, activities, etc?
Old Nov 12, 2021, 6:13 am

It's a small resort, but since it's all inclusive, pretty much everyone is eating dinner at the same spot. I would just email and book your dinners for the night - just my opinion. Couldn't hurt.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 6:46 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LonghornFlyer
We'll be there in a few weeks. Is there anything I need to book in advance? Dining reservations, activities, etc?
The "leisure concierge" team from the property should reach out to you a few weeks before your stay. They will make dinner reservations and book available activities for you. The email address, [email protected], has been previously posted in this thread if you think it's necessary to contact them before they contact you.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I would contact the concierge team proactively if you're particular about your dinner reservation times. When they reached out to me I got back to them within 30 minutes, but Sur House was already booked solid from 6 to 7:30pm for dinner.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I suppose the property would have to buy the spa to make that work, right? They claim they don't own the spa, at least when it comes to getting base points for spend there.

Also, I don't think they'd have nearly enough capacity there to include treatments like Miraval.
Bringing the Miraval conversation back up, the new owner's stated goals are:
  • Seek to close the ADR gap between Ventana and the neighboring Post Ranch Inn
  • Seek to improve ancillary revenue for the spa and activities to comparable spend for ultra-luxury resorts
  • Opening the Sur House restaurant to non-resort guests
So it doesn't seem like they want to go to Miraval style all inclusive pricing for activities, but at the same time I could see them expanding the spa (and reducing the number of freebie activities)

If I were Hyatt I'd just create a new column on the award chart for all inclusive (much like regular room, standard suite, premium suite) and be done with it. Get rid of the separate Ziva/Zilara/Miraval pricing.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drnilescrane
  • Seek to improve ancillary revenue for the spa and activities to comparable spend for ultra-luxury resorts
So it doesn't seem like they want to go to Miraval style all inclusive pricing for activities, but at the same time I could see them expanding the spa (and reducing the number of freebie activities)

If I were Hyatt I'd just create a new column on the award chart for all inclusive (much like regular room, standard suite, premium suite) and be done with it. Get rid of the separate Ziva/Zilara/Miraval pricing.
Ziva/Zilara aren't really in the same category as Ventana which also isn't really in the same category as Miraval.

Ziva/Zilara and Ventana pricing is per room, based on 2 persons in each room. At Ziva/Zilara you can pay an additional charge for additional guests. Making Ziva/Zilara/Ventana pricing more in line with Miraval (where there is a sizable charge for each person in the room beyond the first guest) would be a pretty big devaluation.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Ziva/Zilara aren't really in the same category as Ventana which also isn't really in the same category as Miraval.

Ziva/Zilara and Ventana pricing is per room, based on 2 persons in each room. At Ziva/Zilara you can pay an additional charge for additional guests. Making Ziva/Zilara/Ventana pricing more in line with Miraval (where there is a sizable charge for each person in the room beyond the first guest) would be a pretty big devaluation.
I did forget about that fact. I've got no idea how many people go solo to a Miraval vs as a couple.

My thought was to make the Ziva/Zillara's a "Cat 3 All Inclusive" vs say Ventana as a "Cat 7 All Inclusive", assuming double occupancy. Or maybe just a per person all inclusive surcharge on the regular redemption rates. That way you don't spawn a million asterisks if properties decide to offer an all inclusive plan.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I did forget about that fact. I've got no idea how many people go solo to a Miraval vs as a couple.

My idea basically was to make the Ziva/Zillara's a "Cat 3 All Inclusive" vs say Ventana as a "Cat 7 All Inclusive", assuming double occupancy. Or maybe just a per person all inclusive surcharge on the regular redemption rates. That way you don't spawn a million asterisks if properties decide to offer an all inclusive plan.
Miraval is a pretty popular solo destination, since it's very activity based. I don't think that's the reason why they do per person pricing though.

Many properties - mostly resorts - do actually have all inclusive plans (e.g. Andaz Mayakoba and Papagayo). They're just cash upcharges.

There probably will be changes to the pricing structure for all inclusive properties once ALG is integrated. But I would hope they stick more with the Ziva/Zilara model vs. Miraval.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:44 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond

Not privy to what the new owner is doing but there was a huge discussion for the ADR of this hotel on Telegram:

https://imgur.com/a/lMTgMOB The FT image uploading feature isn’t work on mobile for me rn

No idea if this is true but pretty funny to think about
nsx likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Not privy to what the new owner is doing but there was a huge discussion for the ADR of this hotel on Telegram:

https://imgur.com/a/lMTgMOB The FT image uploading feature isn’t work on mobile for me rn

No idea if this is true but pretty funny to think about
Oh I know it's true. I spoke to the GM about it when I stayed there with a friend who works in higher ed (focused on hospitality, so we like to talk) - they aren't even trying to hide it at all. And Host bought the property knowing that too: "Significantly benefits from its Hyatt affiliation and World of Hyatt redemption bookings, which contributed a substantial amount of total room nights sold in 2020- 2021 and demonstrates the growing desire for high-end leisure experiences among World of Hyatt loyalty members".

Sur House was entirely awkward 30 something types in hoodies with their significant others when I was there for a mid week stay deep within COVID. Honestly they were a plurality when I was at Andaz Maui too - the fleece vest types were down at the Four Seasons.

I would much rather the credit card bonus types than the EDD types we got immediately afterwards at the Hyatt Regency Santa Rosa - never again.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:29 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Oh I know it's true.
The new buyer therefore knows it too. How can Hyatt be planning to double the points cost without derailing the new owners' gravy train and presumably violating a carefully drafted purchase agreement?
Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Ventana Big Sur at 30K Standard Room award, making it the highest value redemption within World of Hyatt (maybe of all hotel loyalty programs) was/is too good to last. I'm glad I was able to participate in this gravy train twice while it lasted.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by CIT85
Ventana Big Sur at 30K Standard Room award, making it the highest value redemption within World of Hyatt (maybe of all hotel loyalty programs) was/is too good to last. I'm glad I was able to participate in this gravy train twice while it lasted.
Who says it's over?

Even if it is increasing - you can book for nearly all of 2022 currently to get in another time.

I found a lot more weekend dates open when searching this morning than I did a week ago.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
We are arriving tomorrow, 9:45 at SJC, thinking a couple of hours in Santa Cruz/Carmel maybe get there around 1/1:30?
I realize our room won’t be ready but is it ok?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.