Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2021, 6:40 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The included meals are fabulous and better than almost restaurant experience I have had. But I’m not a foodie.

Edited to add: My opinion is shared by three of my relatives and their significant others who stayed at Ventana on separate visits at my urging. Two of those relatives eat at very good (but not 5 star) restaurants quite frequently.
flyertalker9 likes this.

Last edited by nsx; Dec 3, 2021 at 10:19 pm
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
The included meals are fabulous and better than almost restaurant experience I have had. But I’m not a foodie.
Agree. I feel like paying for the food destroys a big part of the value proposition of the Ventana, which is the all-inclusive nature, and the fact that you’re already getting outstanding food for free. If I wanted to pay that much for food I’d go buy some Michelin dinners in SF.
Soccerjoshj07 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 5:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One could also plan to stay at Alila Napa and make reservations for dinners in good wine country restaurants.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One could also plan to stay at Alila Napa and make reservations for dinners in good wine country restaurants.
If one wants to spend money one could do whatever one wants. Stay at Single Thread, dine at French Laundry.
The point is people stay here cause the food is included.
I'm pretty sure Jan Koum doesn't frequent this board looking for recommendations.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure?
Old Dec 5, 2021, 4:51 pm

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
I was checking menu fro La Ventana, it said for the inclusive menu you just can order one appetizer , one entre and one dessert. Is that correct?
Old Dec 5, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by honores41
I was checking menu fro La Ventana, it said for the inclusive menu you just can order one appetizer , one entre and one dessert. Is that correct?
I’ve never had problems ordering more.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by flyertalker9
The issue is you can’t look at the prices in a vacuum, because they’re replacing meals you would otherwise get for free. So the question is, is the step up in quality from the restaurant to these meals worth $500? That’s questionable at best.
Originally Posted by flyertalker9
Agree. I feel like paying for the food destroys a big part of the value proposition of the Ventana, which is the all-inclusive nature, and the fact that you’re already getting outstanding food for free. If I wanted to pay that much for food I’d go buy some Michelin dinners in SF.
Originally Posted by s0ssos
The point is people stay here cause the food is included.
To each their own. I don't book the Ventana because I get free food. It's a nice benefit but i don't consider it the main draw. Even if i had to pay for food it would still be one of the best redemptions in the system. In fact last time, we spent a fair amount of money at Nepenthe for dinner because we wanted to try something new and delicious...and it delivered. Not once did i think we spent $x+++ because of the opportunity cost of the free food. I'd think about this offer the same way. Is it worth it on its own? Depending on the wine, might very well be the case for us.
ps9a and ralphs like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by honores41
It might say that...but in reality you can pretty much order whatever you want.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 2:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I'm planning on cancelling a standard room for 3 nights Dec 30 - Jan 2. I don't know if it goes back into inventory but maybe it can be useful to someone.
Skink likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I had a stay here last week and it was super good. Probably the 2nd best hotel I ve stayed in my life. And I have stayed at probably 100+. Great value on points. Will recommend to absolutely everyone.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
I had a stay here last week and it was super good. Probably the 2nd best hotel I ve stayed in my life.
Can't help but ask — what's the best?
jona970318 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by ralphs
I'm planning on cancelling a standard room for 3 nights Dec 30 - Jan 2. I don't know if it goes back into inventory but maybe it can be useful to someone.
Update: another FT member and I coordinated over text to so that he could book it the minute after I cancelled. It doesn't appear to have gone back into inventory
nsx and renila like this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Curious which room is the best at this property? I was upgraded to Vista Hot Tub Suite last time I was there, and I thought it was the best room based on the rate etc. After readying room details and photos, Coast House Suite and/or Cottage might be even better. Any idea which room/suite/villa is the best?
Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
Update: another FT member and I coordinated over text to so that he could book it the minute after I cancelled. It doesn't appear to have gone back into inventory
Makes sense. They are overbooking standard rooms then moving people to higher categories. Canceling the reservation means they probably still have a negative number of rooms and would require somebody to manually reopen the inventory.
nsx and Soccerjoshj07 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.