Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2021, 7:04 am

Does this property have minimum nights booking policy? When I look on most weekends for one night reward stay nothing comes up but if I do two nights I see availability.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by olouie
Does this property have minimum nights booking policy? When I look on most weekends for one night reward stay nothing comes up but if I do two nights I see availability.
Yes, 2 nights minimum from what I've seen. Some dates seem to have 3 night minimums.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Booked our second stay at the property for the week before Christmas 2022. Kinda surprised that week is a low season week, but psyched to get a room for only 25k/night. We took some friends with us last time as our "first trip since COVID" treat, but this time I got them to sign up for the CSP bonus and so they were able to book their own.

Looks like the week has already booked up now for the most part. Dec 22-24 is still available for a standard free night award.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by olouie
If you have the available points, you could book a 2 night stay and then message the Hyatt Concierge (your Globalist assigned concierge or the twitter team) to modify afterwards.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
If you have the available points, you could book a 2 night stay and then message the Hyatt Concierge (your Globalist assigned concierge or the twitter team) to modify afterwards.
Thats a great tip. Will try it.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:27 pm

Has anyone here done the Gourmet Getaway Chef Series they seem to be doing every month or so now? Apparently the weekend we're there they'll be doing one, but it's $1,000 per couple and basically amounts to a Friday reception, Saturday dinner and Sunday brunch. Seems extravagant when the food would otherwise be completely free, so wondering if we're missing something. Assume that just because they're hosting this event that the normal food operations will still be operating at full capacity for those of us that opt out?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Sorry if this question is so naive, if I book a suite for January for 60k, food is included? what is exactly included?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:25 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by honores41
Sorry if this question is so naive, if I book a suite for January for 60k, food is included? what is exactly included?
Scroll back a few posts ...FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD - reopened 2/5/21
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by honores41
yes food included. alcohol separate.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by flyertalker9
Has anyone here done the Gourmet Getaway Chef Series they seem to be doing every month or so now? Apparently the weekend we're there they'll be doing one, but it's $1,000 per couple and basically amounts to a Friday reception, Saturday dinner and Sunday brunch. Seems extravagant when the food would otherwise be completely free, so wondering if we're missing something. Assume that just because they're hosting this event that the normal food operations will still be operating at full capacity for those of us that opt out?
Yeah, I got the email too....that's crazy $$$ for what you get, imo

Thank you for choosing Alila Ventana Big Sur for your upcoming stay. We are consistently striving to bring exceptional experiences to our guests, and your timing is perfect. You have the opportunity to join a special series of events with Chef Maxwell Robbins of Land & Sea Dept, and famed Longman & Eagle Restaurant, for our Gourmet Getaway weekend xx, 2021!

Maxwell Robbins, formerly of Soho House, Gilt Bar, and the Purple Pig, brings a fresh vision to his culinary style, with elegant and soulful dishes that reflect the Bounty of Big Sur. He is also a leading figure in the evolution of sustainability within the culinary community, driving initiatives to reduce plastic and source ingredients with an eye towards stewardship.

The weekend is a celebration of all the makes Big Sur a unique and special environment for culinary masterpieces with exclusive dining events, fun activities and paired tastings. It includes the following:

-Opening reception Friday night with food and wine
-Culinary demonstration and chef-lead activity Saturday morning
-Six course dinner Saturday night, including wine pairings
-Sunday morning brunch
-Special take away with items fitting the weekend's theme. Chef has partnered with a local artist for a one of a kind gift you will not want to part with.

To join us, please call our Concierge team at 855-265-1629 or respond directly to this email. Tickets for the Gourmet Getaway weekend are $1,000 per couple (plus taxes and service charges) and are in addition to your confirmed room rate.

We look forward to welcoming you to Alila Ventana Big Sur!
Old Dec 3, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I would probably be happy to pay $500pp of a supplement if it was a chef I knew and followed on instagram. However, I have no idea who this person is.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:15 pm

$500 pp for this doesn't sound that outrageous. You figure a six course dinner for something like this would be minimum 150. Big question is the wine. If the wine selection is good, could be worth another 150. Then you get the friday night thing, the class, and brunch. That feels like another 100+ and then factor in hotel/private element of it and yeah it doesn't seem outrageous. Now that doesn't mean it's everyone's cup of tea. But compared to $200+ for an hour massage or $400+ for the falconry this is downright reasonable.

FWIW, Longman & Eagle is legit. One of my favorite places in Chicago. Much more high end and creative gastropub food vs fine dining. But very high quality. Now if only they could bring the mixologist and the beer list from L&E...
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd want to know the wines before deciding.

BTW, what if a hotel guest that weekend isn't part of a couple? Would they charge $1000 (per room/suite), $500 (per person) or just say no?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by boolean64
$500 pp for this doesn't sound that outrageous. You figure a six course dinner for something like this would be minimum 150. Big question is the wine. If the wine selection is good, could be worth another 150. Then you get the friday night thing, the class, and brunch. That feels like another 100+ and then factor in hotel/private element of it and yeah it doesn't seem outrageous. Now that doesn't mean it's everyone's cup of tea. But compared to $200+ for an hour massage or $400+ for the falconry this is downright reasonable.

FWIW, Longman & Eagle is legit. One of my favorite places in Chicago. Much more high end and creative gastropub food vs fine dining. But very high quality. Now if only they could bring the mixologist and the beer list from L&E...
The issue is you can’t look at the prices in a vacuum, because they’re replacing meals you would otherwise get for free. So the question is, is the step up in quality from the restaurant to these meals worth $500? That’s questionable at best.
Soccerjoshj07 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 5:44 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by boolean64

Good way to look at it. I think your rough analysis makes a lot of sense. There is definitely a premium on the price but I think it could easily be worth it to many guests here, especially for people that are used to prices for nice restaurants in VHCOL cities like SF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.