Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2020, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by afmiami
I understand that in the Big Sur area there is no cellphone service, is it correct?
There is ATT and Verizon service throughout the property.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by liondragonx5y
I called today and they said the Peloton bikes were moved outside under a cabana and are available (not positive but that's what they told me). They also brought some weights outside to the cabanas. It seems like they are trying to do everything they can to accommodate people. They said they are at an average of 84% capacity next week and are capping at 85% (so they are basically sold out). Definitely a lot of interest for this property with the new all-inclusive model -- only a few of the rooms each day are available on points, with the rest being cash. I have a reservation next week and am excited to go!
They do have bikes outside but they are not Peloton bikes. Here is part of the email reply I got back:

As we navigate the many guidelines set forth from the state and county we are still making every effort to provide an elevated service. While not the Pelotons, we have placed TechnoGym bikes in one of our outdoor cabanas that can be used during your stay.
Not a dealbreaker of course but I know how dedicated Peloton users can be, and don’t want to get your expectations wrong.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 9:51 am
Community Director Emerita

We arrive in a week and have heard nothing from the property. How far in advance were others contacted? If I want to initiate contact, what email address should I use?
Old Jul 20, 2020, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by blackzarg
They do have bikes outside but they are not Peloton bikes. Here is part of the email reply I got back:

Not a dealbreaker of course but I know how dedicated Peloton users can be, and don’t want to get your expectations wrong.
Thanks for the update. It's going to be hard to complete the Pelothon if the bikes aren't available.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We arrive in a week and have heard nothing from the property. How far in advance were others contacted? If I want to initiate contact, what email address should I use?
I am going this Wednesday and I was contacted one week ago. This is the email:

[email protected]

Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:02 pm

I had a stay this past weekend, it was a good getaway but the experience was "OK". Seems like there are a lot of miscommunications on their end, they messed up a couple in-room dining orders multiple times. No hot water running for my tub (had to wait 30 mins for them to reheat the water, apparently it happens frequently when multiple rooms are using hot water?). But I didn't complain to the staff, given the circumstances I think we were just happy that they reopened. But I don't see myself paying thousands of dollars per night to stay here nor 60k per night again. 30k points per night maybe, the Big Sur House Restaurant was great, but for some reason the in room dinning the first time was pretty disappointing (although it should be coming directly from the Big Sur House).

Last edited by doenutt; Jul 20, 2020 at 3:09 pm
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by doenutt
I had a stay this past weekend, it was a good getaway but the experience was "OK". Seems like there are a lot of miscommunications on their end, they messed up a couple in-room dining orders multiple times. No hot water running for my tub (had to wait 30 mins for them to reheat the water, apparently it happens frequently when multiple rooms are using hot water?). But I didn't complain to the staff, given the circumstances I think we were just happy that they reopened. But I don't see myself paying thousands of dollars per night to stay here nor 60k per night again. 30k points per night maybe, the Big Sur House Restaurant was great, but for some reason the in room dinning the first time was pretty disappointing (although it should be coming directly from the Big Sur House).
Guessing you were in a suite. Are the ocean views significant enough to warrant trying for them over the forest view?

Sorry to hear about in room dining, that was a big consideration for me. I'm not staying until October, but am expecting social distancing to still be in play even if things are open. A beautiful suite, beautiful grounds and in room dining may be all I'm hoping for. I figure remote, expensive places will be the best places for a socially distanced vacation (where I don't have issues with people without masks wanting to crowd my elevator.

Assuming they work out the service bugs, do you think it's worth a 3 night stay or is two plenty? I'm also thinking of 2 nights at Highlands (perhaps in addition too).

It's very pricey pointswise, but it's the only points I'm spending this year (other than my fun in Costa Rica in January).
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Guessing you were in a suite. Are the ocean views significant enough to warrant trying for them over the forest view?

Sorry to hear about in room dining, that was a big consideration for me. I'm not staying until October, but am expecting social distancing to still be in play even if things are open. A beautiful suite, beautiful grounds and in room dining may be all I'm hoping for. I figure remote, expensive places will be the best places for a socially distanced vacation (where I don't have issues with people without masks wanting to crowd my elevator.

Assuming they work out the service bugs, do you think it's worth a 3 night stay or is two plenty? I'm also thinking of 2 nights at Highlands (perhaps in addition too).

It's very pricey pointswise, but it's the only points I'm spending this year (other than my fun in Costa Rica in January).
I would say if your stay is during the promotion for 25% points back, it's definitely worth it. As for the ocean view, we were unlucky that it was foggy during our stay we couldn't really see anything. We did catch a quick 15 min ocean view during our dinner at the Big Sur House, and the fog came back. So it's kinda 50/50 I would say, I don't mind the view as much. I definitely felt way safer staying here than going to the groceries stores, before we enter our room. The room had a seal that showed the room had been cleaned and sanitized so does the golf cart door that they drive you in. They require everyone to wear masks on the property, not that big a of deal.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by doenutt
As for the ocean view, we were unlucky that it was foggy during our stay we couldn't really see anything. We did catch a quick 15 min ocean view during our dinner at the Big Sur House, and the fog came back. So it's kinda 50/50 I would say
In July and August, I'd say that's more like 90-10 in favor of fog

October would be a completely different story.
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 5:43 pm

Does anyone have a phone number for the front desk?

We are staying tomorrow and have not heard from the property so we'd like to learn more about what's offered so we can enjoy as much as possible. I've tried the main line and for each number I try to connect to it says the mailbox is full. Any other ideas how to reach them before we arrive?

Thank you!
Old Jul 20, 2020, 6:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by spellbound2
We are staying tomorrow and have not heard from the property so we'd like to learn more about what's offered so we can enjoy as much as possible. I've tried the main line and for each number I try to connect to it says the mailbox is full. Any other ideas how to reach them before we arrive?

Thank you!
I contacted them by email over the weekend and have yet to hear back regarding a stay next week. Seems guest communication is not their strong point based on some of the recent replies here.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by spellbound2

Thank you!
From an email I got from reservations:Reservations Department

[email protected]

Direct: 831.667.2331
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
I contacted them by email over the weekend and have yet to hear back regarding a stay next week. Seems guest communication is not their strong point based on some of the recent replies here.
Try 831-667-2331 that's the number I used for communication for my stay this past weekend
Given the circumstances they are pretty busy, and there might be some miscommunications from my experience...
invalyd likes this.

Last edited by doenutt; Jul 21, 2020 at 10:48 am
Old Jul 21, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Platinum Pro, IHG Platinum Elite, Marriot Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by madderlake
@afmiami

Any other questions before I check out, let me know!
Thanks for taking the time out of your vacation to post - it's very helpful to have someone share their experience right as Ventana reopens! I am checking in tomorrow (7/22) for a three night stay, standard suite points booking. We have a similar stay in mind to yours - hiking, in-room dining, and enjoying the space and local nature. Pools, public hot tubs and fitness center access not a big loss for us.

Upon checking the WoH app this morning, I noticed a room type change from Big Sur Suite (what I had booked) to Big Sur Forest Shower Suite. Maybe they've already gone ahead and upgraded me (I am an Explorist). It's not the Hot Tub Suite I'm still holding out for, but we'll see!

The temperature forecast has been whipsawing back and forth the last few days, but looking at lows in the high 40s as of now. Might make our 7:30pm dinner rez at Sur House on Thursday a chilly one, but we'll see!

I'd be happy to report back on this thread with our experience. We are definitely looking forward to the change of scenery, if nothing else.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by troypozi
Thanks for taking the time out of your vacation to post - it's very helpful to have someone share their experience right as Ventana reopens! I am checking in tomorrow (7/22) for a three night stay, standard suite points booking. We have a similar stay in mind to yours - hiking, in-room dining, and enjoying the space and local nature. Pools, public hot tubs and fitness center access not a big loss for us.

Upon checking the WoH app this morning, I noticed a room type change from Big Sur Suite (what I had booked) to Big Sur Forest Shower Suite. Maybe they've already gone ahead and upgraded me (I am an Explorist). It's not the Hot Tub Suite I'm still holding out for, but we'll see!

The temperature forecast has been whipsawing back and forth the last few days, but looking at lows in the high 40s as of now. Might make our 7:30pm dinner rez at Sur House on Thursday a chilly one, but we'll see!

I'd be happy to report back on this thread with our experience. We are definitely looking forward to the change of scenery, if nothing else.
I would stay away from in-room dinning (at least for dinner) from my past weekend experience, the restaurant is fantastic. Every table is far apart from each other, and it's outdoors. The food was excellent, the farm chicken was crispy on the outside and super juicy on the inside

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.