Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2021, 1:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by allimac914
Thank you!
We had some diet cokes, ice teas, water, and weren't charged.

I could stay here for an entire week if it weren't so dang expensive, but clearly I'm in the minority of opinion here.
Cometstar likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
3 nights have plenty standard availability. Just need to look harder. For example 10/29 -11/1. 2 nights not so much.
seems like there is now a 3 night minimum for standard 30k rooms. I can see lots throughout the summer 2021 but none show up if searching for 1 or 2 nights. I do 2 nighters standard room available for 2022.

Originally Posted by coleslaw
And if you do find three nights that work, then you can book and at a later point cut it down to two nights (if you are only looking to do two nights).
Please report back if you can cut from 3 to 2. Twitter won’t do it and globalist line called the hotel and they said no. I guess 3 nights at 30k is still better than 2 nights at 48k for standard suite, point wise and value wise.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by myperks
seems like there is now a 3 night minimum for standard 30k rooms. I can see lots throughout the summer 2021 but none show up if searching for 1 or 2 nights. I do 2 nighters standard room available for 2022.

Please report back if you can cut from 3 to 2. Twitter won’t do it and globalist line called the hotel and they said no. I guess 3 nights at 30k is still better than 2 nights at 48k for standard suite, point wise and value wise.
Damn. That’s new. I’ve had no problem cutting stays short in the past (mainly at Andaz Maui but never at this property)
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Yeah, I also see plenty of points availability for 3 night stays... I just preemptively booked 3 nights in October in case we decide to go then.

Interesting rate rules, I imagine the deposit language is just a placeholder though.

30k gets you the King with Fireplace (listed at $2,300/night)
48k gets the Big Sur Suite
60k gets Big Sur Spa Suite, Forest Shower Suite, or Vista Hot Tub Suite (all of these were available on the dates I checked, with the Vista Hot Tub listed at an absurd $4,000/night)
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
30k gets you the King with Fireplace (listed at $2,300/night)
48k gets the Big Sur Suite
60k gets Big Sur Spa Suite, Forest Shower Suite, or Vista Hot Tub Suite (all of these were available on the dates I checked, with the Vista Hot Tub listed at an absurd $4,000/night)
Wow, $2300 for King with Fireplace is $800 more than what I usually see when Standard Room Award is available. I'm surprised that they had Standard Room Award when base room rate is that high.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Three nights is about right to settle in and enjoy the area.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:12 pm

I just booked for May, does anyone have suggestions on which suite is most worth it? Some tripadvisor reviews alleged that the vista suite now looks at a parking lot they are building, is that a real issue? looking for suite with the best views (preferably with a hot tub). Also note im using points.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by silverm0623
Just got back from a weekend there and was blown away by the resort. We were upgraded from a standard room to a forest shower suite. I could definitely see the menu being repetitive if you're there for like a week long stay. Their $50 ribeye special for dinner was well worth it IMO. Service was spectacular across the board and the weather was simply amazing.

Any activities you recommend to do from the hotel? Was there availability for the hot tub or Japanese bathhouse while you were there?

$50 additional charge for ribeye? Not part of all inclusive?
Old Mar 7, 2021, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
We had a great 3 night stay here. Food was good and comparable to our last stay in August. The hotel seems to be pretty full judging from the full parking lot. My wife attended the free yoga classes in the mornings. We did our own excursions down the coast seeing sea otters and an orca that appeared to have at least tried to have one of them for lunch. We'll definitely come back in the near future. In my opinion this is the best time of year to be here: no fog and lush green grass that needs to be cut down in fire season.
Any good hikes you recommerecommend?

Also, curious if you did any hotel activities like falconry, wine tasting, massages, pool, etc and availability for reservations.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 5:07 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by Lucas1

Also, curious if you did any hotel activities like falconry, wine tasting, massages, pool, etc and availability for reservations.
we just did the guided property walk which was longer than expected! But it was a nice walk/mini hike. Pool, hot tubs, and Japanese baths were nice otherwise did some of the must sees in the Big Sur area.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 5:22 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

When everything was shut down due to fires I hiked the dirt road behind the restaurant all the way up to the ridge. Not much shade but the view is great.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 7:40 pm

Any activities you recommend to do from the hotel? Was there availability for the hot tub or Japanese bathhouse while you were there?

Activities from the hotel are a bit pricey for what they are, but they do have a free morning guided hike on the trail that goes around the property at 10AM everyday. Japanese bathhouse is first come first serve but there are technically 3 baths within it and there will rarely be more than 6 ppl there at a time. Keep in mind it is....clothing optional just like the Mountain Pool right above it (or people just assume it is). We were very surprised by it but you're more than welcome to keep your swimsuit on and no one will care. We went to the Bathhouse 3 times since it was so relaxing (once in the afternoon, after dinner, and after breakfast).

If you do not like fish or chicken, then paying $50 for a spectacular cut of steak was worth it in my opinion. However the arctic char and the chicken were also extremely good and I would have been fine with just those for the two nights. The short rib was more like a....roast to be honest. However my other half actually preferred it to the ribeye, but just a matter of preference. I still think it's one of the best steaks I've had.

There's still plenty of hiking to do within the area, but the place we wanted to hike (Pfeiffer Burns State Park) was mostly closed unfortunately due to the flash flooding.
Thunderroad and Soccerjoshj07 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 4:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond

Partington Cove, about 10 miles to the south is our favorite. There are two accesses there to the shore, one through a tunnel. We have seen otters and orcas there. It also has a trail up the canyon along a stream through redwoods.
Thunderroad and Soccerjoshj07 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
We stayed here last month and the no paid food upgrade was mentioned or offered. I wouldn't bother, the base food is good enough and I feel we actually ate too much.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by shiframeir
I just booked for May, does anyone have suggestions on which suite is most worth it? Some tripadvisor reviews alleged that the vista suite now looks at a parking lot they are building, is that a real issue? looking for suite with the best views (preferably with a hot tub). Also note im using points.
Well that sucks. I have the vista suite booked for Sept. I guess it just depends on which one you get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.