Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
You don't have to bring a $2000 bottle to extract value. If they have your $300 bottle, it'll cost $800+ here.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Depends. If I'm bringing a bottle that would cost me $2000 on a wine list then it's not so bad.
I guess I just don't appreciate alcohol enough...

I'd be just as happy drinking a $50 bottle of wine as I would drinking a $500 bottle of wine (which is about as expensive as I've tasted so far).

$50 corkage on my $50 bottle of wine is... not good value (especially not if you’ve paid the going cash rate for this place... but if you’ve paid the going cash rate for this place you probably won’t be bothered by an extra $50 here or there )
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by coleslaw; Feb 17, 2021 at 6:35 pm
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by hedoman
You don't have to bring a $2000 bottle to extract value. If they have your $300 bottle, it'll cost $800+ here.
It's great to know that I've been saving between $300 and $2000 per stay simply by not drinking alcohol!

Seriously, I had no idea that people without infinite money (their own or their employer's) spent that much on wine. Or at least I'm surprised that such people read and post on FlyerTalk. Who needs points when you have megabucks?
59Impala likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw

$50 corkage on my $50 bottle of wine is... not good value
$50 is definitely on the high side for corkage. But if the hotel charges a 3x markup on retail (which was my experience, if not more) then a $50 corkage on a $50 bottle is cheaper than the $150 that they would charge at the restaurant for that $50 bottle. So good value for anything more than a $25 bottle. Said differently, the wine list at the Ventana is not good value.

Overall, sounds like reality is settling in there. I remember coming away from my trip over the summer thinking that it was all too good to be true. Although the pendulum seems to have swung a bit too far if spaghetti is one of the dinner options.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Depends. If I'm bringing a bottle that would cost me $2000 on a wine list then it's not so bad.
We brought bottles to the restaurant both nights we went. No issue at all with the $50 corkage charge. I think it's pretty reasonable for the location.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by coleslaw
$50 corkage fee (on top of everything else you mentioned) is pretty bad.
$50 corkage sounds like the most reasonably priced thing at the place anymore.

Sad to hear the reviews of the food etc. We went last March just before covid became a national thing -- I still recall enjoying a reasonably priced (and wonderful) cheese plate and reasonably priced glasses of Van Winkle 12 year at the bar. Would much prefer that over a mediocre "all-inclusive"
Old Feb 18, 2021, 10:47 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Is $50 corkage totally ridiculous in a normal setting? Absolutely!

Is $50 corkage totally reasonable at a place like Ventana? Absolutely!

For those that value and enjoy a great bottle (whether $50 or $2000), bringing your own down here and paying the corkage makes more sense than paying $100 for a $30 retail bottle.

Totally separate issue, I have a points reservation booked for March 18-21. Received an email from the property today informing that they are conducting unexpected electrical work from March 15 to the afternoon of March 19. "This means we will not be able to honor your reservation". Supposedly someone from reservations will be contacting me within 48 hours to rebook. Hoping they honor the points redemption with no issue!

Anyone else with a stay over these dates receive a similar email?
Old Feb 18, 2021, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by ps9a
We didn't go to the happy hours, and we skipped a few meals along the way-- French toast, burger (minus the dijonnaise, which my first burger was swimming in), and shrimp lettuce cups were my favorites. Anyway, we weren't headed there for a culinary adventure, so that didn't really upset us... I'd suspect most people head to Big Sur for the hiking/coastline/views, and Ventana is well situated for all of that.
I also stayed on points over the weekend, in a standard room. I think the food was slightly worse than our first visit last year, but still above average.

Dinner:
Octopus bad first time we ordered it, good the second time we ordered it
Bruschetta great
Bass meh
Chicken great (it's fried chicken, surprise!)
Short Rib bad
Arctic Char great
Spaghetti not my taste
Sundae great
Brulee meh

Breakfast
pastry basket bad
avocado toast great
chicken hash meh
ventana breakfast meh

Lunch
beet dip great
shrimp tacos bad
burger meh (sad, because last year's burger was AMAZING)
tostada meh
cookies great (no charge for milk...)
charcuterie good

We enjoyed our stay. The hard product and customer service is great and I feel churlish complaining about any mediocre meals at the 30k points/night rate. We continue to enjoy the Big Sur area, and experienced low crowds perhaps due to the pandemic, the month, the rain, the Hwy 1 closure, and just dumb luck. When we visited the ranger station at Pfieffer Big Sur, the gentleman said he had helped just 50 people today, compared to peak season of 2,000 people walking through those doors during the summer. But that was on Saturday, which experienced some rain earlier in the day, and was WAY less busy than Sunday, which was both the day of our departure and Valentine's Day.
Kacee and Soccerjoshj07 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 12:57 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
I believe there is a pressure cooker involved with the fried chicken. More like broasted chicken. As written earlier.....four thumbs up. Definite highlight of the dinner menu. Who'd have thought?
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sounds like the menu changes further solidify this place as a max two-night destination.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Sounds like the menu changes further solidify this place as a max two-night destination.
You can eat off property
Old Feb 19, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Troopers
You can eat off property
Sure. Or bring freeze dried meals and a backpacking stove. Or fast.

Point is, (a) it's isolated, with very few other options within 45 minutes' drive, and (b) you're paying for the meals. Most guests will be staying on property for the majority, if not all, their meals, and most will be done with the menu after two nights.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Point is, (a) it's isolated, with very few other options within 45 minutes' drive, and (b) you're paying for the meals. Most guests will be staying on property for the majority, if not all, their meals, and most will be done with the menu after two nights.
Huh? Their menu was always limited prior to shifting to all-inclusive. And it wasn't a 2 night max then. The fact that it is now all-inclusive doesn't change that.

I get you want to extract every nickel out of the hotel with your 30k points/night award booking...the agony of actually paying for a meal off-site.

ETA: yes, ppl should stop booking here for the limited menu, standard hotel fare food and the high corkage fee. Selfishly, this is great as there will be less competition for award stays.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 8:51 am

I believe there is a pressure cooker involved with the fried chicken. More like broasted chicken. As written earlier.....four thumbs up. Definite highlight of the dinner menu. Who'd have thought?
The chicken dish last summer was also outstanding. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was creative and delicious...definitely not a chicken breast plopped on a plate. The bar is high for chicken to be the highlight of the menu, but it can happen...and that was back when the the steak was flannery beef.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
Huh? Their menu was always limited prior to shifting to all-inclusive.
It's now much less attractive with the short-rib replacing the steak and reports of lower food quality. Don't get me wrong, I'm still planning to return, I just don't see staying more than 2 nights with the current offerings. And yes, I'll be burning points, as $2k per night is definitely not in my budget :-)
united 1k flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.