Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur House—our award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
·
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
· Coast Ridge Hike
· Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

· Foragers Hike
· Redwood Hike
· Sur House Social
· S'mores
· Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
Is it worth it to use a SUA here?
You will get a nicer room using SUA than if you don’t.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL PM
Just got back from a 3 night stay at Ventana. It was exceptional! I only have the slightest of nits that I would pick but overall the service, room, and food were all excellent. I would go back in a heartbeat and feel like I got solid value for my points.

Highlights:
  • We used points to book a standard suite (Big Sur Suite) and were upgraded (Discoverist) to a Big Sur Forest Shower Suite. The room was absolutely lovely, very well maintained, and both housekeeping and turndown services were timely and well done!
  • Everyone we saw and talked to at the resort was so friendly! We loved chatting with our servers at Sur House, shuttle drivers, and activity guides.
  • We had all our meals at Sur house, and the food ranged from good (breakfast) to excellent (lunch) with dinner in-between. I read here that service can be hit or miss but we didn't have any complaints! We didn't have anything that wasn't good, but we did find breakfast on the whole to be under seasoned, plus had the least compelling menu, and dinner could be a little hit or miss. Everything we tried at lunch was top-notch! If they really wanted to step up, I would love them to work on their coffee - cappuccinos obviously came from a machine vs a person pulling espresso and steaming milk, and the brewed coffee was meh. Offering a French press or something like that would be neat.

Some things not to miss:
  • The burger at lunch
  • Relaxing in the infinity hot tub
  • Enjoying the views from the meadow
  • Hiking around Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park and Point Lobos State Reserve (near Carmel)

Let me know if you have any questions I can answer!
dpb132, strickerj and Readymint like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:47 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
It looks like Highway 1 is closed both north and south of VBS, effectively isolating it. See QuickMap (ca.gov)

Hopefully current guests and employees won't be stranded too long, and those planning to arrive soon won't have their plans affected too much.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 2:38 pm

I don't think this latest closure is going to be a quick fix. CHP is saying it will likely be an extended road closure.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...e-19378076.php
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Is there a Back Road in and out? I’d rather endure a longer drive, than cancel my upcoming visit.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 3:52 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by beachmiles
Is there a Back Road in and out? I’d rather endure a longer drive, than cancel my upcoming visit.
One lane is still usable, so you can expect a signal or flagger stopping traffic for several minutes at a time to allow alternating flow.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
One lane is still usable, so you can expect a signal or flagger stopping traffic for several minutes at a time to allow alternating flow.
Local authorities currently telling non-residents to stay away, and the hotel has closed bookings for the next week.
Boraxo and olouie like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 8:51 pm

Well first and foremost, I hope everyone currently in Big Sur ends up ok out of all this. Then, I hope it's able to be resolved somewhat soon: we have a booking for the end of April and I'd hope to go still. Fingers crossed
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:52 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Clemson
I don't think this latest closure is going to be a quick fix. CHP is saying it will likely be an extended road closure.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...e-19378076.php
Thanks for the update - I've been trying to drive this stretch of PCH for years, and it looks like it might get postponed again. My visit is in October though; I planned it that way so there'd be time to make adjustments in case of winter/spring storms.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:58 am

Maybe they will do the helicopter flights like post ranch had a while back when the roads closed.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:12 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by newg33b
Well first and foremost, I hope everyone currently in Big Sur ends up ok out of all this. Then, I hope it's able to be resolved somewhat soon: we have a booking for the end of April and I'd hope to go still. Fingers crossed
That’s optimistic. Would make backup plans.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:05 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I wouldn't. The remaining lane has been deemed usable. There will be traffic delays and construction delays, but no extended blockage.

However, if your plans include driving excursions during your stay, I would change those plans.
joecool1885 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by olouie
Maybe they will do the helicopter flights like post ranch had a while back when the roads closed.
It's too bad they didn't build Two Roads into this property.
newg33b likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
do you think Hyatt/Ventana would do anything to accommodate if this arises? Thinking our next best option would probably be Carmel Valley Ranch, but no points availability for our dates. Or otherwise maybe we completely reroute the second half of our trip, which was supposed to be two nights at Ventana, then down to SLO, Santa Barbara and out of LAX
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:10 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by newg33b
do you think Hyatt/Ventana would do anything to accommodate if this arises? Thinking our next best option would probably be Carmel Valley Ranch, but no points availability for our dates. Or otherwise maybe we completely reroute the second half of our trip, which was supposed to be two nights at Ventana, then down to SLO, Santa Barbara and out of LAX
The road south from Ventana to SLO has been closed for well over a year. Reopening will be delayed due to the repairs now needed north of Ventana.
newg33b likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.