Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Dinner reservations and activities: email [email protected]

Big Sur Smokehouse is closed at least thru end of July 2023.

Your stay includes all meals, whether in-room 24 hours a day, lunch on the Sur House Terrace from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or dinner at The Sur Houseour award-winning restaurant that is open for dinner from 5-9 p.m. Please see our dining menus here.

Signature experiences:
Morning Movement (Tai Chi, Yoga, Meditation, Big SurCus Poi Dance)
Coast Ridge Hike
Bees and Big Sur
Falconry

Foragers Hike
Redwood Hike
Sur House Social
S'mores
Astronomy

July 2023 activity schedule:

https://www.ventanabigsur.com/pdf/JU..._AtAGlance.pdf

Print Wikipost

Ventana Big Sur- Alila - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2023, 6:45 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by slariz
And a F&B credit at an all inclusive is of limited use.
Except VBS is not "all inclusive". It's more accurately described as "full board" as most food and non-alcoholic beverages are included, but alcohol and some specialty items are not. If you order a bottle of wine to accompany your dinners, you'll blow through a F&B credit quickly.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 1:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
That's hardly an upgrade (I'd argue the bare minimum upgrade)! Especially after they saw the spa suite in the app...
But upgrade is based on availability and if theres no other room available and you got a better room than booked, its an upgrade.

Unfortunately, while I understand disappointment but demanding recovery for this is going to push hotels/chains to hide pre-assigned rooms from guests.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 3:06 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This is normal for that property. About half the times that app show me an upgrade at Ventana I end up with a different type room.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
This is normal for that property. About half the times that app show me an upgrade at Ventana I end up with a different type room.
Very true. I think they pretty much prioritize by fist come first serve of whatever rooms are open when you happen to checkin.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 9:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by olouie
Very true. I think they pretty much prioritize by fist come first serve of whatever rooms are open when you happen to checkin.
Ironically thats exactly what people are arguing hotels should do.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
How the heck do you get a points reservation here on weekends?
Old Aug 26, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
How the heck do you get a points reservation here on weekends?
Its possible, you just need to be determined (and lucky).
Old Aug 26, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Its possible, you just need to be determined (and lucky).
Aside from booking far in advance, are there any tricks like min stay requirements?
Old Aug 26, 2023, 10:37 am

Aside from booking far in advance, are there any tricks like min stay requirements?
Many weekends have 3 night minimum. I also found much more availability closer in to travel dates.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 11:25 am

Many weekends have 3 night minimum. I also found much more availability closer in to travel dates.
How do you know which weekends have 3 night min or just assume all of them does? I assume that means you need Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 7:15 pm

Basically what the other posters said. Try looking for dates 2-3 weeks out from today or whenever you are searching. See if someone cancelled last minute, well, maybe more towards two weeks out because of the cancellation policy. If you do end up finding something, it is probably due to luck.

How do you know which weekends have 3 night min or just assume all of them does? I assume that means you need Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday night.
I do not want to speak for all the weekends based on my one data point, but I have definitely seen standard rooms for two weekend nights (Friday to Sunday) available to book recently. I actually booked a standard room with points for a Friday to Sunday stay in January a couple weeks ago. In fact, in that same search, I saw standard rooms for another weekend in January also available. Since booking, I have seen standard rooms available for a weekend in May and another weekend in September (2024), both weekends being Friday to Sunday.

The only reason why I saw all of these dates is because I literally searched for every weekend between now until thirteen months out. I did this every couple of days at all hours. Hence, the determination as other posters have pointed out. And honestly, you just have to be lucky that something opens up as you are searching. As soon as I booked, there were unsurprisingly no more standard rooms for my dates.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 1:49 am

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
For those who plan to bring a dog for the Big Sur Suite, is it better to request for the upper floor or the bottom floor? Thank you.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
Originally Posted by happychic
For those who plan to bring a dog for the Big Sur Suite, is it better to request for the upper floor or the bottom floor? Thank you.
bottom floor, the sound insulation isn't great

also note if you don't explicitly answer their pre-arrival survey and say you are bringing a dog they tend not to charge you the $150 per pet fee. This is even the case when you bring your dog with you to the checkin desks in the "lobby" and they know you have a dog and give him/her a bandana with the Ventana logo on it
Old Aug 28, 2023, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by happychic
If were me, I would prefer top floor if you go to bed early/are a light sleeper, because you can normally here footsteps in the room above you.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 11:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
If were me, I would prefer top floor if you go to bed early/are a light sleeper, because you can normally here footsteps in the room above you.
Ironically, this is precisely why I'd suggest the bottom floor. On our first visit, our stay was seriously marred by a dog pacing in the room above us. Human footsteps are fine, because we don't usually spend all our down time walking in circles in the room.
It'd be very considerate to pick downstairs.
skj and martzipan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.