Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Rotterdam {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
Smile

Originally Posted by Sisosig
These salmon and deli cuts are a minimal requirement for a 5-star hotel breakfast. I fail to believe the salmon has ever been away, unless they ran out of it on a particular day. So nothing special imo. It would be more informative to point out they are offering local hotel-rooftop harvested honey at breakfast.
Your wish is my command.

Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:06 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Had quite a nice stay here just over a week ago, booked standard room received junior suite 602 ^

King Bed Junior Suite
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Won't comment too much as a nice hotel, old design on outside but well renovated as mentioned above many times. Exec lounge was okay, didn't go there for snacks / meals to be honest. Bar and Restaurant was good for both evening meal as well as breakfast (busy at breakfast though).

Parked at adjacent parking garage but could have also done valet for the same price (Euro 30 IIRC).

Some pics for those interested:

General Lobby and Bar area: (ground floor):

Lobby area Hilton Rotterdam
by BA_pics, on Flickr

coffee bar area just before exec lounge ground floor
by BA_pics, on Flickr

seating area in hotel bar
by BA_pics, on Flickr

finger snacks very good
by BA_pics, on Flickr

The 6th Floor: (hallways and floor plan)

Floor plan 6th Floor
by BA_pics, on Flickr

stools outside elevators
by BA_pics, on Flickr

view exiting elevator 6th floor
by BA_pics, on Flickr

hallways on 6th floor
by BA_pics, on Flickr

The Junior Suite:

sliding doors for bedroom and bathroom
by BA_pics, on Flickr

View back to wooden panels and wardrobes
by BA_pics, on Flickr

rounded corners for carpet to wooden flooring
by BA_pics, on Flickr

View to TV sideboard
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Refreshment Centre design
by BA_pics, on Flickr

wardrobe 1 contents
by BA_pics, on Flickr

wardrobe 2 contents
by BA_pics, on Flickr

bedside lamp design
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Bathroom:

Sink area
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Loo
by BA_pics, on Flickr

separate shower
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Tiled Bath area
by BA_pics, on Flickr

Hope these are of use to others.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Just made my first ever OLCI ! No point holding back as upgrade was already applied to my reservation by the Hilton

Just happened to make sense to this last weekend at Rotterdam Hilton for the weekend summer carnival. Hotel sold all rooms only as Deluxe OR High Floor Deluxe , no Execs, No J/Suite, No full Suite's were sold

The reason became apparent at physical checkin ... Lounge closed for the carnival weekend after guest issues last year. As such no Lounge to HHGs or suite upgrades but as an HHD (maybe the only HHD as didn't see others getting free bar either day) I was allowed sodas/coffes at bar during day plus beer/wine in evening (no spirits), very happy as not to worried about missing usual free nibbles

A day or so after booking Deluxe many months out, my tickbox upgrade showed as full Suite for euro=0. whilst eg lesser J-Suite tickbox would be 50Euro. My room type modded to Full a Suite 4days before arrival date so I did the OLCI as just one suite per floor and grabbed the highest floor left.

Also did really well in July 2014 , booked 2rooms as one for non status friend, modded to connecting J-S and Full Suite , but as we checked in independently with me the HHD second we ended up with 2x Full Suites

PS
Due to expected strong winds&rain the authorities cancelled carnival ... First time ever ... before I woke up 9am Saturday morning. It was cloudy and wet in Rotterdam but it was Amsterdam that the storm hit! Planes were landing sideways on Saturday and lots were cancelled
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
Smile Spirits are back

Great news, its seems that Hilton Netherlands is seeing that they were losing some customers with their budget cuts in the lounges in The Netherlands
I was in the executive lounge today in Hilton Rotterdam and saw some new items and Spirits.
With the new Hilton Schiphol, the Hilton Rotterdam is doing some upgrades with their executive lounge products. I also noticed a voucher at my room for a free drink in their bar. For now, positive news.
I hope that Hilton The Hague is also doing this upgrade, because their lounge is one of the poorest in The Netherlands.
Pictures from lounge Rotterdam and Executive Suite 901 at sunday 20 dec 2016 and voucher room:

Last edited by ITravelElite; Dec 24, 2015 at 9:41 am
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
Originally Posted by ITravelElite
Great news, its seems that Hilton is seeing that they were losing some customers with their budget cuts in the lounges in The Netherlands
I was in the executive lounge today in Hilton Rotterdam and saw some new items and Spirits.
With the new Hilton Schiphol, the Hilton Rotterdam is doing some upgrades with their executive lounge products. I also noticed a voucher at my room for a free drink in their bar. For now, positive news.
I hope that Hilton The Hague is also doing this upgrade, because their lounge is one of the poorest in The Netherlands.
Pictures from lounge Rotterdam today at sunday 20 dec 2016 and voucher room:
Wow!! I also hope the same for The Hague, such a nice hotel but indeed a rather poor EL. I have to put the Rotterdam Hilton on my list soon (even though I don't really like Rotterdam). Seems good enough for a weekend away and only 1 hr from where we live :-)

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the nearby Manhattan hotel has become a Marriott (with executive lounge) recently?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by Delectatio
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the nearby Manhattan hotel has become a Marriott (with executive lounge) recently?
I bet it does. The Manhattan doesn't have spirits in the lounge, although they do serve a decent red and white wine. The hotel reservation system has not yet joined Marriott, you must call customer service to get your points/stay credit. Only the lower 12 floors are part of the hotel, but the lounge and some of the executive rooms have good views. The (current) lounge is much smaller than Hilton's. The Hilton EL has a much bigger variety in tables, lounge chairs and sofas. I must say I like it better because of that.

When I was staying at the Manhattan I was upgraded to a junior suite (booked an executive room). I have less than 10 lifetime Marriott stays, so it wasn't because of my status. At the Rotterdam Hilton I usualy am upgraded to a jr. suite as well. The Marriott jr (corner) suite has a touch of luxury and great panoramic views. But the Hilton jr suites have a better impression of being special and unusual. Which I think does matter when you are spending a lot of time in hotel rooms.

The Rotterdam Hilton now has a one Michelin star restaurant on site: Joelia. It is filled to capacity every night, you'll have to reserve well in advance I guess.

Last edited by Sisosig; Dec 31, 2015 at 6:37 am Reason: Added link
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
Just completed a stay, upgrade to JR suite. Good lounge with Duvel available. Breakfast was good..... Great location.
I will return, this is a great deal with the perks.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Anyone have some insight?

Hi all,

It appears that we are in need of a single night stay in either The Hague or Rotterdam before continuing on to Amsterdam the following early afternoon.

Sounds like the Hilton Rotterdam has a much better hard product than Hilton The Hague. Also, if I'm correct, The Hague is smaller and quainter, so easier to see in a 24hr period than Rotterdam? I do enjoy a good EL during the evenings and the last report on the Hague is that spirits are charged for and not free?

Anyway, don't want to make too much of a deal out of this, but if anyone can provide some objective insight, it may help me decide which property to book.

Thanks all, and Happy New Year.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:11 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Hi all,

It appears that we are in need of a single night stay in either The Hague or Rotterdam before continuing on to Amsterdam the following early afternoon.

Sounds like the Hilton Rotterdam has a much better hard product than Hilton The Hague. Also, if I'm correct, The Hague is smaller and quainter, so easier to see in a 24hr period than Rotterdam? I do enjoy a good EL during the evenings and the last report on the Hague is that spirits are charged for and not free?

Anyway, don't want to make too much of a deal out of this, but if anyone can provide some objective insight, it may help me decide which property to book.

Thanks all, and Happy New Year.
Either will be a good stay so regardless of which one you end up choosing you'll be very pleased I think, however, from my limited stays at both the following would be my personal summary;

-Hague Hilton has nicer breakfast atmosphere, more intimate and is less busy in main restaurant (not had it in either lounge). Food choice is close to the same though in both.

-Rotterdam Hilton has nicer exec lounge, bigger, and with better choices and more seating area (ground floor and inside but with nice big floor to ceiling windows). Hague Hilton lounge on top floor and outside terrance if the weather is nice is a plus, otherwise smaller and less choice.

-Diamond treatment at both is very good, some of the best in Europe.

-Rotterdam has been renovated more recently and the rooms are very nice indeed, however, Hague rooms are also quite nice (even standard rooms, which you're unlikely to get).

-Bar in both are very good with good choices and friendly staff.

-staff in both are very good.

-parking at both is a pain, Hague less so if you valet park but expensive as hotel has parking under it, Rotterdam as parking is next door outdoor facility and a bit of a pain in poor weather with outside trek needed, also fairly expensive but space is a premium in both cities.

-Rotterdam is (in my view only) a bigger city and feels like a big city, somewhat colder but with more available, should you want it, the Rotterdam location is a bit sterile and uninviting location at first but you can walk to plenty of areas fairly quickly...Hague is indeed better placed with a much smaller city feel to it and quieter (still very busy traffic though!)...you can get almost anywhere in the Hague within a few minutes walk.

For location only I would pick the Hague, for hotel only I would likely pick Rotterdam. Either will be brilliant to be honest so cutting the hairs really fine here... Enjoy the trip, safe travels ^ (and let us know which you did choose and how it was please!)
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
As usual BotB, you're a wealth of FT information
I have already booked a night at the Hague (points); my gut feeling is that for one full 24hr period, Hague will be easier to enjoy. We are going to be there at the end of July, so I like the idea of the outside terrace of the EL.

Thanks for validating my impressions.

Best,
Fozzie

Originally Posted by BotB
Either will be a good stay so regardless of which one you end up choosing you'll be very pleased I think, however, from my limited stays at both the following would be my personal summary;

-Hague Hilton has nicer breakfast atmosphere, more intimate and is less busy in main restaurant (not had it in either lounge). Food choice is close to the same though in both.

-Rotterdam Hilton has nicer exec lounge, bigger, and with better choices and more seating area (ground floor and inside but with nice big floor to ceiling windows). Hague Hilton lounge on top floor and outside terrance if the weather is nice is a plus, otherwise smaller and less choice.

-Diamond treatment at both is very good, some of the best in Europe.

-Rotterdam has been renovated more recently and the rooms are very nice indeed, however, Hague rooms are also quite nice (even standard rooms, which you're unlikely to get).

-Bar in both are very good with good choices and friendly staff.

-staff in both are very good.

-parking at both is a pain, Hague less so if you valet park but expensive as hotel has parking under it, Rotterdam as parking is next door outdoor facility and a bit of a pain in poor weather with outside trek needed, also fairly expensive but space is a premium in both cities.

-Rotterdam is (in my view only) a bigger city and feels like a big city, somewhat colder but with more available, should you want it, the Rotterdam location is a bit sterile and uninviting location at first but you can walk to plenty of areas fairly quickly...Hague is indeed better placed with a much smaller city feel to it and quieter (still very busy traffic though!)...you can get almost anywhere in the Hague within a few minutes walk.

For location only I would pick the Hague, for hotel only I would likely pick Rotterdam. Either will be brilliant to be honest so cutting the hairs really fine here... Enjoy the trip, safe travels ^ (and let us know which you did choose and how it was please!)
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
I do enjoy a good EL during the evenings and the last report on the Hague is that spirits are charged for and not free?
Your stay will be half a year from now, but at the moment all drinks are without charge. Spirirts, wine and beer are available until 9PM.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:42 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Sisosig
The Rotterdam Hilton now has a one Michelin star restaurant on site: Joelia. It is filled to capacity every night, you'll have to reserve well in advance I guess.
We have had great treatment the few times we have stayed at the Rotterdam Hilton. Often for a weekend night, and almost always at an absurd rate (€89 to €109). We always put a request (in the comments) for a suite upgrade and have gotten the upgrade (not junior, I believe executive suite) on our most recent visits. But, remember, we are there over weekends.

Since dining was mentioned, one of my favourites (if not my favourite) restaurants in the Netherlands is located a short walk away from the Rotterdam Hilton. FG Food Labs, I can't say enough good things about this restaurant or the owner chef François Geurds. Believe me, you will NOT be disappointed.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:44 pm

Thanks for the FG Food Lab suggestion. I used to park in front of FG Food Labs when it was still free at night, and walk to the Hilton. Always felt like going to that informal looking restaurant, didn't now it was that good.

About the lounge I can only repeat what others have said: the offerings have vastly improved. Very attentive staff too. Hors d'oeuvres from 6-9PM, drinks until 9:50.

Received a full suite upgrade as well (weekend stay)!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:10 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Just had a 1-night stay over the weekend at this property. It has been like 2 years I have not been here, the last time was when they just started with the renovation.

Was upgraded to a Jr. Suite (already upgraded when I did online check-in) which coincidentally is the same room that BotB reviewed (room 602). Since I did earlier have a problem with the rate - I did get an apology note in the room besides the welcome note. I had set up in the room 2 bottles of water and a bottle of wine with a cup of mixed nuts. (am not sure which would have been the real diamond welcome gift - if any).

Offerings in the lounge (in the former breakfast room) - was good - they had for hot item a mix of the Dutch snacks (mix of frikandel, croquette, etc). If you are a small eater - I would say that you could have made a small meal out of it.

From the room design point of view, I really liked it - it was my cup of tea- I really liked how they mixed the different structures and colours. (I would not mind decorating my own place like this ).

I had breakfast in the lounge - I did not bother to ask if I could also have it at the restaurant - as the offerings in the lounge (although categorized as continental) contained the normal hot items (minus the sausages, mushrooms and other full english items) which was ok for me.

I would say it was near perfect stay - only item if I had to complain would be during check-out. The chap checking me out seems inexperienced and without telling me anything, just stated that they will charge everything to my card on file - which I had to question what they were charging (city tax as the room was prepaid) and did not even inform on the value to be charged.

With the recent flash sale - i was planning maybe another night later this year - but noticed that prices are now above the 80 Euros mark even with the 35% discount. Not that impressed.. seems the rates are increasing every year - before renovations I remembered you could still get rates around 60 Euros.

Off-topic: For food, in the same area as the Food Lab (still need to try), on the opposite site of the 'Station Hofplein' area, there is also this nice restaurant cum cafe cum bar 'Bird restaurant/cafe' which had some really good and affordable food and some interesting wines - if you are early it's ok, but later it got really packed.

Last edited by nldogbert; Mar 14, 2016 at 3:32 am
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nldogbert you raise an interesting point about the prices. Even after the refurb it was possible to bag it for €68 or so on either the public sector rate or the corporate benefit rate. That has since stopped. I found the revenue man would "give up" and dump inventory on the Thursday afternoon and quite interestingly they would often not sell any Deluxe rooms only Executive at this point which made the prices higher, thats despite the hotel being quiet.

I really like the arrangements in the executive suite especially the quality of the doors which really keeps noise out and my partner and I love the desk! We have both written many a paper on there, fighting over who would use it next. It's a striking difference to the prevalence of MDF crap in most hotels so its good Rotterdam went for some quality finishings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.