Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by indual
I just got the mypoints miles, that should keep me going for another year! Thanks for the suggestion here!
MyPoints does not have transfers to Hilton available as a reward any longer (as of this spring). E-rewards still seems to work, however, as the only "free" way to get points. Looks like buying something through iTunes via Hilton HHonors Earning Mall would be a cheap way to extend expiry also, but at 3 points per $, much worse yield than simply buying 1000 points for $12.50
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:41 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Mehdron
MyPoints does not have transfers to Hilton available as a reward any longer (as of this spring). E-rewards still seems to work, however, as the only "free" way to get points. Looks like buying something through iTunes via Hilton HHonors Earning Mall would be a cheap way to extend expiry also, but at 3 points per $, much worse yield than simply buying 1000 points for $12.50
e-rewards does still work as i just a i just redeemed $50 in e-rewards for 3,000 hh points yesterday (and it posted to my hh a/c within seconds of completing the transaction on e-rewards)
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:31 pm

Am I crazy or did canceling an award an re-depositing the miles used to count as activity.

I guess I was really dumb for thinking that it did... Was that some other hotel program?
Old Nov 8, 2008, 7:51 pm

Programs: RA
Is the points in a membership HHOnors expire ?

Hi all

Is the points in a membership HHOnors expire ?
I Waiting for the answer
Thanks all
Old Nov 8, 2008, 8:34 pm

If there is no activity in your account for one year, Hilton can close your account and you would then loose the points that were in your account. Otherwise, HHonors points in an active account do not expire.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 12:19 am

As long as you have at least one activity a year, you'll be fine.
Redeeming points also counts as an activity.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA-1P
Point-stealing Hilton .......s

Yes the points do indeed get stolen by Hilton if you don't say with them in a year. They even close your account. I just got hit by this.

After an unusual year of no travel due to some sad family stuff I'm now ready to hit the road again. I went online to make some expensive reservations, and the Hilton website wouldn't let me log in. When I inquired about this I found they'd disabled my (Silver VIP) account and taken away all my points.

You really have to wonder about the logic of Hilton's actions. Rather than welcome me back as an old friend, I find they've closed my account and stolen my stuff. A sane loyalty program would have preserved my points, kept the account open, and just dropped me down a level to Blue.

For example Virgin Atlantic dropped me from Gold to Silver because I didn't travel this year, but Virgin didn't steal my miles or close my account.

Shame on Hilton. Now I'm traveling again I'll be putting thousands of dollars of business elsewhere. Those points they stole are the last thing they're ever getting from me.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 5:06 pm

Is a stay required to remain active? Doesn't a purchase which earns you HHonors points on a credit card count as activity as well?
Old Nov 9, 2008, 5:30 pm
une

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Any activity counts in order to stay active. Purchases, points from credit cards, redemptions.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 5:54 pm

Since you can get a Hilton HHonors credit card with no annual fee, seems like there should never be a reason for points to expire. If not used regularly, keep the card in storage and use it once a year to purchase a pack of gum or some other small item.
Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: RA
Thank you all for answers
And send some of the readers write the final result
Old Nov 13, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
To keep accounts active, does "activity in a year" mean "some activity within 12 calendar months", or "some activity in a calendar year". For instance, do you have to have no activity for an entire calendar year, such as activity on Jun of '08 (activity in '08), then no activity in '09, then they'll delete the account at the end of '09? Or, does it mean that if you have activity in Jun of '08, you must have activity by Jun of '09? Thanks!

Steve B.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
It is any twelve month period. You must have at least one activity in that timeframe.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 3:09 pm
une

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
it's 12 months from the last activity.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
At least they are warning me...

I have a note telling me my 41,000 HH points will expire February 01, 2009 unless I do things. They give me a list of things to do (stay, buy a timeshare, go mall shopping, etc.) but don't indicate to book a reward and then cancel.

I have read this, and am hoping for just one more, definitive, "It will work" - I intend to book a 40k award for a night I likely will not use (but MIGHT) sometime in the next 8 months or so - then cancel it later, say June.

Will this reactivate my points for another year, from that June?

Thanks
EC T

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.