Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:02 pm

Book a night at the Waldorf for 40K points.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:08 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Have a car rental post to Hilton.

Make a donation to the Walk For Hope for 5K points.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Best Deal is the Hilton Amex Card, No fees, 20,000 pts after 1st use. And no $$$ out of pocket and as long as you use it Once every year you'll maintain your HH Pts.

I see it as Mighty nice of HH to have sent you such an email Warning you, they didnt have to and then the Pts would have simply disappeared and you would have been Steamed.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 2:51 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Buy 1,000 HHonors points for $12.50.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K_MM, AA EX_PLT Hyatt/Hilton Dia, Mar Gold, IHG PLT, Amtrak S++, Hertz 5Star, Avis First
Make an award reservation on-line. Have the points taken out, and then cancel it, and have them returned. Don't know if this will work, but it's two transactions, right?

Or, sign up an e-rewards account. Earn $25 e-rewards currency, which is very quick and not hard at all, and transfer 1000 HH points.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 6:20 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by luxury
Originally Posted by JT_BOS
Make an award reservation on-line. Have the points taken out, and then cancel it, and have them returned....
I would worry that these two options are not in fact options, given that the T&Cs talk about "third-party source" :

earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation
Old Feb 13, 2006, 11:11 am

Many thanks for the helpful advice. I'll probably end up staying a weekend night.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 8:11 am

Programs: DL, HH, & IHG Dia; Bonvoy Titan
Warnings may or may not come

Beware: Hilton does not always notify you if your points are about to expire. I supervise a staff of traveling employees and am accustomed to seeing these "about to expire" e-mails.

However, I was not paying attention to my own account, and suddenly all points disappeared. Problem: No warning e-mail was ever received. I called HHonors twice and asked why I received no notification, especially since my own point balance was significantly higher than my employees'. It seemed so "convenient" for them to terminate large balances without notification. I was told, essentially, tough luck, the T&Cs don't require us to notify you.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by luxury
I managed to retrieve the E-Mail that HHonors sent to me and in fact it includes this option, which I have taken.

"You may also keep your HHonors account open beyond May 01, 2006, by taking advantage of one of the following options:

1. Stay just once before May 01, 2006, at any participating Hilton®, Conrad®, Coral by Hilton, Doubletree®, Embassy Suites Hotels®, Hampton Inn®, Hampton Inn Suites®, Hilton Garden Inn®, Hilton Grand Vacations Club®, Homewood Suites by Hilton® or Scandic hotel in more than 70 countries worldwide and enjoy all the benefits of the Hilton HHonors program.

2. Earn HHonors points through any number of HHonors partners. For more information about earning points with HHonors partners, click here.

3. Purchase Hilton HHonors points at hiltonhhonors.com/purchasepoints. You can purchase up to 40,000 Hilton HHonors bonus points online per calendar year (in increments of 1,000 points) and use them toward hotel stays, exciting rewards, and more.

If you do not take one of the actions above by May 01, 2006, your HHonors account will be closed and all accumulated points will be forfeited. Prior to your account closing, you may redeem your HHonors points for any eligible reward. After the points are redeemed, your account will be closed by the date above and all remaining points will be forfeited. For a complete listing of HHonors rewards, click here."

To Alex B it seems very shortsighted of Hilton not to reinstate your points in circumstances where you are the person directing business to them.

Thank you all for your help.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
Best Deal is the Hilton Amex Card, No fees, 20,000 pts after 1st use. And no $$$ out of pocket and as long as you use it Once every year you'll maintain your HH Pts.

I see it as Mighty nice of HH to have sent you such an email Warning you, they didnt have to and then the Pts would have simply disappeared and you would have been Steamed.
I got offered 10K points in the warning e-mail. Is there a link for the 20K offer?
Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I got offered 10K points in the warning e-mail. Is there a link for the 20K offer?
What have you done to cause HH to send you a warning email
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:47 pm

Need cheap way to earn points to keep account open...

I received a letter today from Hilton Hhonors that states I need to earn points before July 10th in order to keep my account open. I have 80,000 points and don't want to lose them.

So, what is the cheapest way to earn points online?

I have no travel plans in the near future...

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 18, 2006 at 9:41 pm Reason: This milepost (and the following two mileposts) were merged into this thread unedited. Thank you, nako!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by atwnsw2
I received a letter today from Hilton Hhonors that states I need to earn points before July 10th in order to keep my account open. I have 80,000 points and don't want to lose them.

Thanks in advance.

Anthony
You may consider to apply for a Hilton Amex card and make charges to it once in a while to keep your account active. The card has no annual fee so cost is your time to apply ;-)

Detail of the card:

http://hhonors.hilton.com/en/hhonors...editcard.jhtml
Old Apr 18, 2006, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold

Thanks in advance.

Anthony
My experience is that I forgot one account and then signed up a new one, one day I found the old membership info and then I called HH to combine the two accounts. The old account has some points that did not expire, the old account was just inactive so as long as the account info is the same, they can combine the new and old accounts and transfer the points of the old account into the new one. I think this maybe another way to keep your points.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
hmm

Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Go on a job interview and say in a Hilton

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.