Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:51 am

Programs: Starfleet Captains Club
How to keep account from being deactivated

I have a friend who never travels, and he received an email from hilton saying that his account would be deactivated by Feb 06.

Does he need to stay in a hotel, or can he earn points through some other means such as opening an Amex account to keep the account active?

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 16, 2005 at 8:10 am Reason: This milepost (and the next milepost) was merged into this thread unedited.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 8:02 am

I believe that any point activity will suffice. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329057.

Mike
Old Dec 4, 2005, 2:18 pm

Don't want my account to be closed/points to expire...

I amassed about 400k points during 5 years of heavy business travel between 1999-2004. Since then I no longer travel. To maintain my HHonors account, I usually redeem points for a free night once a year. A couple questions I have:

1) I just noticed that the HHonors terms for closing an account/losing your points is "Members who do not earn points in any 12 month consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and, if so, are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points."

I thought this used to included redeeming miles? Did they change it?

2) What's the best way for me to ensure my account doesn't get closed/lose my points? Will redeeming a free night once per year still work? Should I purchase 1,000 points for $12.50 once a year (will that work)?

THANKS GUYS!

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 4, 2005 at 10:14 pm Reason: This milepost (and the next four mileposts) were merged into this thread unedited.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 2:54 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Charge something on a HH Amex or HH Visa
Old Dec 4, 2005, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer
I amassed about 400k points during 5 years of heavy business travel between 1999-2004. Since then I no longer travel. To maintain my HHonors account, I usually redeem points for a free night once a year.
First of all you should have used the points years ago. The points have devaluated at least 50% during this time. Why not spend them?

To keep your account active just sign up for the Florida Walk in February. For $20 you get 5000 HH and another year extension of your points (that should have been used).
Old Dec 4, 2005, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by martinplas
Charge something on a HH Amex or HH Visa
Thanks! I just signed up for HH AMEX...

Originally Posted by holtju2
First of all you should have used the points years ago. The points have devaluated at least 50% during this time. Why not spend them?
I didn't realize this. Unfortunately, my new job prevented me from having the the opportunity to use them back then. What happened? Are the 150k 7-night (GLON?) awards gone now? I've been WAY out of the loop since then...
Old Dec 4, 2005, 6:38 pm

Are the 150k 7-night (GLON?) awards gone now?
GLON went from 100K to 150K for 6 nights about 2 years ago.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nako
I believe that any point activity will suffice. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329057.
See The Definitive “How To Earn Hilton HHonors Points” Thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329057
1) I just noticed that the HHonors terms for closing an account/losing your points is "Members who do not earn points in any 12 month consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and, if so, are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points."

I thought this used to included redeeming miles? Did they change it?

2) What's the best way for me to ensure my account doesn't get closed/lose my points? Will redeeming a free night once per year still work? Should I purchase 1,000 points for $12.50 once a year (will that work)?
Some loyalty programs still allow one to keep an account active by spending (such as Qantas), but I think the Hilton "earning" requirement you quote has been in place a while. It's tough to keep all the program rules straight sometimes, isn't it? Post #2 of the Definitive Earning thread still includes award redemption as qualifying activity to keep an account alive.

Unlike Starwood, where a "stay" credit is required (including hotel dining), with Hilton even "bonus" points count. The definitive thread helpfully linked to above by nako (albeit without the thread topic title conveniently listed) provides lots of ideas. I like making a contribution to the City of Hope breast cancer virtual walks.

See $25 Donation to a Good Cause and 5,000 HHonors Points
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351841
Old Dec 9, 2005, 10:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Link not working - any idea if this promo is still good?

This link is not working. I went to the City of Hope website but found not mention of the promo with miles (I know, I should contribute anyway ...)

Anyone know if this is still valid?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
See Post #551 in the City of Hope thread.

Click on the South Florida walk, which is the only one currently open.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:10 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH Gold, UA silver, Hertz PC
Agree with the post above, go for the AMEX card and get 10,000 points plus when you get 125000 points go for the 4 night stay
Old Dec 14, 2005, 7:49 am

Thanks guys...got the CC in the mail yesterday!

Originally Posted by rickc
Agree with the post above, go for the AMEX card and get 10,000 points plus when you get 125000 points go for the 4 night stay
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:00 am

Avoiding Forfeiture

I've received an email from Hilton Honors that I have until May 1, 2006 to stay at a Hilton or my account will be closed and my points forfeited. I was Silver Tier and have about 47,000 points accumulated. The last day I stayed at a Hilton was March 6, 2005. I would note that the 90 day grace period in my case seems to have been shortened to less than 60.

When I checked the Hilton Honors T&C this is what it said:

13. Members who do not earn points in any 12 month consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and, if so, are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. The account may be reactivated by the member taking one of the following actions:

stay at an HHonors hotel, thus reactivating membership; or
earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation

Any suggestions as to a quick and easy way to earn points and keep my account active?

Alternatively, how would you spend 47,000 points? Doesn't seem enough for a serious reward. Many thanks.

Last edited by Canarsie; Feb 12, 2006 at 7:55 pm Reason: This milepost (and the following eight mileposts) were merged into this thread unedited.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (My IV to the Net: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7250/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Sticky: Hilton FAQ at the top of the Hilton forum should find the answer there.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:54 am

Programs: UA PremExec,AAmm,*wood Plat, Hilt DVIP
Originally Posted by Imperial Special
Any suggestions as to a quick and easy way to earn points and keep my account active?
you could stay a night at a hilton

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.