Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2022, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Depfeffel
Will this stay count as “eligible” and thus extend points expiration?
In my view, negative - as this would not be seen as an "eligible activity" as per HHTCs.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 4:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MichaelA380
In my view, negative - as this would not be seen as an "eligible activity" as per HHTCs.
Thanks, this is what she feared.

If she gifted the points to my HH account, does this have any bearing on their expiry date?
Old Oct 21, 2022, 6:39 am

My wife has a shed load of HH points due to expire on 01/01/23.

We recently stayed at a Hilton in Dubai but this was booked via a third party, however the stay does show in my wife’s account albeit with zero points awarded.

Will this stay count as “eligible” and thus extend points expiration?
If you are in the United states, I suggest signing up for Hilton honors dining, a charge through that will extend the points. Otherwise you could try buying something small on Amazon with them, a cheap local stay, or buy some points
Old Oct 21, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Schnit
If you are in the United states, I suggest signing up for Hilton honors dining, a charge through that will extend the points. Otherwise you could try buying something small on Amazon with them, a cheap local stay, or buy some points
Thanks - took the call to just buy a small amount of points - $50 gave a 100% bonus so 10,000 points - worth it not to lose several 100k!
Old Oct 22, 2022, 11:08 am

If she gifted the points to my HH account, does this have any bearing on their expiry date?
I see that you resolved the matter in the meantime through purchasing - however, just to answer your question, a transfer to another user would not have extended the validity, only a donation (see the link in the wiki at the top).
Old Nov 7, 2022, 12:27 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Hello guys.
Do you know if transferring credit card membership points to Hilton Honors account is an eligible activity?
Old Nov 7, 2022, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Hello guys.
Do you know if transferring credit card membership points to Hilton Honors account is an eligible activity?
Yes. See item b in the (very very short) wiki above.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Yes. See item b in the (very very short) wiki above.
Wiki should probably clarify what any 3rd party source is. Dining, transfer, etc
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:00 am

Points expiring help

Hi, we’ve got around 50,000 points expiring this month, we typically used Hilton lots but since covid, much less hence them expiring. We don’t want to lose them, but we don’t think we can stay before they expire.

can I book a room for next summer adding the extra £50 cash to the booking? Will that keep them active? Can I still cancel the room as usual if needed?

or can I keep the points active by buying more? 1000 points for example just to keep it open?

thanks muchly!
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Manda79
Hi, we’ve got around 50,000 points expiring this month, we typically used Hilton lots but since covid, much less hence them expiring. We don’t want to lose them, but we don’t think we can stay before they expire.

can I book a room for next summer adding the extra £50 cash to the booking? Will that keep them active? Can I still cancel the room as usual if needed?

or can I keep the points active by buying more? 1000 points for example just to keep it open?

thanks muchly!
The easiest thing to do is just buy some more.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
The easiest thing to do is just buy some more.
perfect thanks, we will definitely be using them next year as we have a big US trip planned!
Old Dec 16, 2022, 11:18 am

Buying points is definitely the easiest trick outside the US
Old Dec 17, 2022, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Manda79

thanks muchly!
Another approach: book a hotel way in the future (e.g. Dec 2023), and cancel before approaching. If you still have no stay at that time, before canceling this one, book another one way in the future (e.g. Dec 2024).

The only point with this process is: do not forget to cancel at appropriate timing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.