Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
A technical question:

My last activity was on Feb 1, 2016. Per the policy, will the points expire on Feb 1, 2017 or Feb 28, 2017?

Many thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by PayItForward

That said, under (d), a donation of 4,000 points (equivalent to USD10.00 works too and that is cheaper than a 5,000 point stay if it is just a MR.

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/earn-u...nts/index.html
"How to Donate Your HHonors Points:
HHonors points may be donated in increments of 10,000. Each 10,000 HHonors point donation equals a US$25 donation"

4000 or 10000 points minimum?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:34 pm

Can anyone share his/her experience on how soon the points will be posted to Hilton account once it shows as pending on the Hilton ShopToEarn site? Thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
The transaction date is what will count and not the posting date. Every system has a different process and therefore can vary greatly. Should your points go away before the transaction posts, just call HH and ask for your points back.
Is there any official word on HHonor site that mentions it's guaranteed to get points back as long as the transaction date from the shopping portal is before the original points expiration date?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by popomama
Is there any official word on HHonor site that mentions it's guaranteed to get points back as long as the transaction date from the shopping portal is before the original points expiration date?
No, it's not "guaranteed". However, it doesn't say the points must post before your points expire, just earning points will keep the account active.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
No, it's not "guaranteed". However, it doesn't say the points must post before your points expire, just earning points will keep the account active.
The easiest way to keep points from being forfeited is to buy 1,000 of them for $10.

If you don't want to spend any money, just call customer service with any issue you like. The rep should offer to transfer you to Hilton Grand Vacations (HGV) to listen to a 2-3 minute spiel about time shares. (If the rep doesn't ask, you can request the transfer.) A week or so after your call to HGV they will deposit 500 points to your account and you'll be all set for another year.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:12 pm

I just called Hilton about an upcoming point balance expiring and the rep told me the number is 15 months since the last date of activity... I didn't think to ask (since I didn't know what the policy was at the time) if this replaced the 12 month policy, whether this was specific to my account, or some other thing. Anyone else have this experience?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sac86738
I just called Hilton about an upcoming point balance expiring and the rep told me the number is 15 months since the last date of activity... I didn't think to ask (since I didn't know what the policy was at the time) if this replaced the 12 month policy, whether this was specific to my account, or some other thing. Anyone else have this experience?
Do you even have the same experience if you call back again and talk to a different rep?

Most of us don't have points expiring soon so can't make the same kind of call as you can easily make two or three times to see if you get consistent information or not.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by sac86738
When I first started out, my stays were erratic and sparse. Rather than test my luck, I went the easy way out by purchasing points. Might have changed but I always thought it was 12 months since last qualifying activity.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
probably been asked, but how to tell definitively when pts will expire? Not seeing expiry date on H.com.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
It's been 14 months since last stay and my brother definitely still has his 30,000 points. Why is this?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by italdesign
probably been asked, but how to tell definitively when pts will expire? Not seeing expiry date on H.com.
Wish I could say for sure. But you're right--expiry date isn't shown on H's web site as it is on some others. What I'm battling now is CSR telling me Points Pooling counts as Qualifying Activity toward points expiration, despite it being absent from the T&Cs--as listed in the Wiki and as listed live, online, at the time I wrote this.

It's clear from the T&Cs, at least, that 12 months is the clock. Believe I saw it here or elsewhere that if one possesses a particular Hilton CC that miles may not expire--I wouldn't count on it though. If that's the case, it should be added to the wiki.

I'm probably going to purchase the minimal amount of points from hilton to keep my points active. I trust FlyerTalk more than I do Hilton CSRs and supervisors--supposedly I was escalated to a supervisor on chat, who then insisted that despite the absent verbiage in General section of theT&Cs, item 13, that points pooling counts as a transfer and thus a qualifying activity for the purpose of keeping points alive.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:05 am

I see we can spend HHonors points at amazon.com at 500 points per Dollar, minimum 5 points for 1 Cent.

Would that trigger an "activity", keeping the account active for another 12 months?

Last edited by sokolov; Mar 11, 2018 at 7:44 pm
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Does transferring points to a friend count as activity?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:56 am

Today is the last day for buying points with an 80% bonus. For USD 10, you get 1,800 points while extending the life of all your points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.