Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:25 am

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Does a C+P stay also qualify ?

Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:26 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by josep
Will a fully prepaid rate qualify as a stay if I do not show up to the hotel? (ie. I want to pay just for the purpose of it counting as a stay)
If you do not actually physically check in to the hotel, it does not qualify as a stay; you will not be credited any Hilton HHonors points or be given credit towards elite level status; and you are ineligible for a refund — despite the stay being paid in full in advance.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by yann
Does a C+P stay also qualify ?

Thanks.
No, and neither will any paid nights immediately before or after any stay using points or money & points. Hilton is one of the last holdouts in this regard.

If you need to mix a stay and travelling with someone else, book the point stay in their name so the paid nights are in your name to get credit. You might be able to talk the FDC into blocking the same room for both rez so you don't have to change rooms. But if it's a choice of getting credit or staying in the same room, go for the credit!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: KF Gold
Hi, just had a couple of questions -

Haven't had a stay in over a year for my own account but I received a complimentary Gold membership (APAC Visa Infinite cardholders) and also received 1000 pts for the password change back in April. Is this sufficient to be considered activity in the past 12 months?

Also, for my wife's account, her last activity was in September 2014 but she has booked and prepaid 4 nights at the Conrad St James for December 2015. Will this also be sufficient to maintain her current points balance or should we buy some points to be on the safe side.

Thanks in advance

mingster23
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mingster23
Hi, just had a couple of questions -

Haven't had a stay in over a year for my own account but I received a complimentary Gold membership (APAC Visa Infinite cardholders) and also received 1000 pts for the password change back in April. Is this sufficient to be considered activity in the past 12 months?

Also, for my wife's account, her last activity was in September 2014 but she has booked and prepaid 4 nights at the Conrad St James for December 2015. Will this also be sufficient to maintain her current points balance or should we buy some points to be on the safe side.

Thanks in advance

mingster23
Doing the password change and getting the points posted should reset your clock according to what Hilton has said.

However, booking alone does not cause her clock to reset (as they can be cancelled without penalty) so get some activity in there by September. Did you not change her password in time for the 1000 points?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:01 pm

No points

I was looking towards a stay in Minneapolis, logged in and see I have ZERO points . Yes, they are lost. I was told that they sent me an email (probably in my spam). Won't give them back. And offered for me to sign up for ways to increase my earnings. I won't be doing that. 18000 points, not much, but for someone who does not travel frequently , I certainly won't give my business to Hilton now. Why would I take the chance of loosing miles again if I dont stay at a Hilton again for another period of time. Hilton you have lost my business.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by babsjvd
I was looking towards a stay in Minneapolis, logged in and see I have ZERO points . Yes, they are lost. I was told that they sent me an email (probably in my spam). Won't give them back. And offered for me to sign up for ways to increase my earnings. I won't be doing that. 18000 points, not much, but for someone who does not travel frequently , I certainly won't give my business to Hilton now. Why would I take the chance of loosing miles again if I dont stay at a Hilton again for another period of time. Hilton you have lost my business.
You might try HUCA. I know people that have been told no by one agent, but then another was willing to do the work to get them back. It's such a crap shoot as to what attitude the agent will have.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
You might try HUCA. I know people that have been told no by one agent, but then another was willing to do the work to get them back. It's such a crap shoot as to what attitude the agent will have.
HUCA, ...not sure what this stands for, but ám willing to give it a try. What do I have to loose? 0-0 =0. Or maybe = 18,000

Thanks
Babs
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:18 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by babsjvd
HUCA, ...not sure what this stands for, but ám willing to give it a try.
Hang Up and Call Again.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Doing the password change and getting the points posted should reset your clock according to what Hilton has said.

However, booking alone does not cause her clock to reset (as they can be cancelled without penalty) so get some activity in there by September. Did you not change her password in time for the 1000 points?
Messed up with her account and forgot to do the password update. The booking we have is a non-refundable pre-paid booking. Do you think that will suffice?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mingster23
Messed up with her account and forgot to do the password update. The booking we have is a non-refundable pre-paid booking. Do you think that will suffice?
No, a booking is not sufficient as even being non-refundable can still be cancelled and won't earn points. There needs to be a stay or some other account activity earning or spending points to count. Sounds like your best bet is to buy a few points and get the clock reset.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:50 pm

How To Keep Hilton HHonors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Ok thanks RogerD408!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Hang Up and Call Again.

Of course! HA! I should have known 😳
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I have points expiring on 8/12. I am booked into an IHG property every night until then, and have no intention of switching reservations. I don't have the HH CC, and points from a mall purchase won't post in time.

Am I correct in assuming my only option here is to buy 1,000 points to keep my account active?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I have points expiring on 8/12. I am booked into an IHG property every night until then, and have no intention of switching reservations. I don't have the HH CC, and points from a mall purchase won't post in time.

Am I correct in assuming my only option here is to buy 1,000 points to keep my account active?
The purchase doesn't need to post in time, the transaction date just needs to be in time. If your points do not come back shortly after the purchase does post then a call to HH should get them reinstated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.