Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:44 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I redeemed a hotel night last October but then canceled it before the stay and the points were redeposited. Yet all my points (which are not that many, but still...) have apparently expired anyway. Is this a computer error? What do you experts recommend that I do?

Assuming they restore my points I guess I need to get the Hilton Amex card so this doesn't happen again.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I redeemed a hotel night last October but then canceled it before the stay and the points were redeposited. Yet all my points (which are not that many, but still...) have apparently expired anyway. Is this a computer error? What do you experts recommend that I do?

Assuming they restore my points I guess I need to get the Hilton Amex card so this doesn't happen again.
My points were due to expire last week, so I have recently done a fair bit of research into keeping them. From a few blogs etc I established that booking and cancelling a reward night would not extend 1yr validity as essentially no new activity has occurred on the account. In the end I transfer across a few Amex MR points, and my points are still there.

Some comments did refer to point reinstatement, but not normally for nothing, ie offered a challenge to get them back. I'd suggest calling, negotiating, and offering to buy 1,000 for $12.50 or whatever small amount it is as a start, but not necessarily the credit card route straight away. Getting the Hilton credit card will help, but since the free night cert is only earned in first 3 months and then valid for 6 months after earning it, you might want to plan application/spend accordingly.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:30 am

My points expire in a month.
I tried buying 1000 points for 12.50$ online, but it did not work. Has anyone tried that recently?

Is there any cheaper way to increase the validity of my points for another year?

Tx.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDT86
My points expire in a month.
I tried buying 1000 points for 12.50$ online, but it did not work. Has anyone tried that recently?

Is there any cheaper way to increase the validity of my points for another year?

Tx.
Where (geographically) are you based? The options are completely different depending on that, but neither your profile nor your post explains where youre based.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Where (geographically) are you based? The options are completely different depending on that, but neither your profile nor your post explains where youre based.
I am based in Italy, I am logging in from Australia, the HHonors website seems the same.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am based in Italy, I am logging in from Australia, the HHonors website seems the same.
That may be why you can't buy HHonors points. The system may reject cards and/or addresses from outside the US.

As mentioned a page or two back, one option for keeping your account alive is:
d. donate points through The Hilton HHonors Giving Back Program.
Go figure out what the minimum amount you can donate is, and then evluate whether donating that amount is a reasonable way to keep your account alive.

Or else just keep reading backwards through this thread for other ideas. (If you try to frontwards, you'll see posts from 10 years ago which may mention options which no longer work.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 12, 2014 at 7:56 pm
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
That may be why you can't buy HHonors points. The system may reject cards and/or addresses from outside the US.
If that's true, that would be really a shameful bug in their system! o.O
I will try again with different cards in the next days... =/
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that's true, that would be really a shameful bug in their system! o.O
I will try again with different cards in the next days... =/
Oops, you already read my post, and then I added to it!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:02 pm

I was going to lose my point by a couple of days so I also tried to buy online and was couldn't. I contacted hilton honors direct and they actually added 1000 points to my account as a one off gesture.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Does the points *really* expire? Or is this something new? I have rarely visit this forum, so sorry for asking.

Last time I have stated at Hilton was some time back in 2012. And since then I have no activities and I still have my points in the account.

However I did receive a snail mail remind me I have lack of activities almost a year and I will lost all my points soon...

Just wonder if I missed the news about inactive account for a year will lost all the points. (or I just get lucky before?)
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Does the points *really* expire? Or is this something new? I have rarely visit this forum, so sorry for asking.

Last time I have stated at Hilton was some time back in 2012. And since then I have no activities and I still have my points in the account.

However I did receive a snail mail remind me I have lack of activities almost a year and I will lost all my points soon...

Just wonder if I missed the news about inactive account for a year will lost all the points. (or I just get lucky before?)
I think you are lucky, tho its not unheard of. Safer to use your hh credit card if you have one, transfer Amex MR if you have those, or buy 1000 points. There seems to be no other easy way.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by ArchLives
I think you are lucky, tho its not unheard of. Safer to use your hh credit card if you have one, transfer Amex MR if you have those, or buy 1000 points. There seems to be no other easy way.
Thanks... I guess I will convert them. 11k isn't much use, right? (only to 1k AP or less than $25 gift cert)
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Thanks... I guess I will convert them. 11k isn't much use, right? (only to 1k AP or less than $25 gift cert)
Still worth 1 or 2 nights at low-end redemption options, just book before they expire (2 nights still worth more than 1k AP). But the trick of booking a redemption then cancelling in the hope of generating activity to keep account alive and active doesn't work.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by ArchLives
Still worth 1 or 2 nights at low-end redemption options, just book before they expire (2 nights still worth more than 1k AP). But the trick of booking a redemption then cancelling in the hope of generating activity to keep account alive and active doesn't work.
Thanks.. but I have no plans to travel anytime soon... so I guess I will just convert them before all gone...

I tried to look for possible places I might travel, but none of the hotels cost less than 20k a night.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:19 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nsx

Hilton restored my points as a courtesy after I wrote them (snail letters work better for exceptional requests) mentioning that their own website still carries the old terms on expiration.

From http://news.hiltonhhonors.com/index.cfm/page/9001

MEMBERSHIP EXPIRATION

Hilton HHonors points do not expire as long as members remain active in the program. To keep an account active, members can stay at one of Hilton Worldwide's hotels, or earn or redeem HHonors points within 12 months.
All's well that ends well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.