Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Does the "buy points" not work? I wanted to buy 1k points for 12.50 $ but all my credit card were refused.

Is there another quick and cheap way to keep points from expiring?

The cheapest article which I found was a "Bamboo Knitting Needles" for 3.46 £ (free shipping).
Old Jul 25, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Does the "buy points" not work? I wanted to buy 1k points for 12.50 $ but all my credit card were refused.
It's very iffy online, just ring hhonors and buy the points on the phone
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Happened to me too. Quick call and the same card worked.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:34 am

My points (71k) are set to expire in December, so I made a purchase on my HH Amex last month. The points posted, but AwardWallet is still showing the expiration date in December. Does HH Amex spend no longer count as qualifying activity? I'm also thinking maybe AwardWallet is incorrect, however I can't find the expiration date on the HH website. I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:25 pm

I had the exact same issue. I emailed Hilton who confirmed the expiration date was extended by my purchase so at least I have it in writing.

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
My points (71k) are set to expire in December, so I made a purchase on my HH Amex last month. The points posted, but AwardWallet is still showing the expiration date in December. Does HH Amex spend no longer count as qualifying activity? I'm also thinking maybe AwardWallet is incorrect, however I can't find the expiration date on the HH website. I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
I received an e-mail back in August advising me my points would expire on Nov 1. Now I recently stayed at a Hilton in South Africa which shows on my account but with 0 points earned (I presume this is because I booked via a hotel booking site and not the Hilton Site). I would like to know if a stay with 0 points will extend my expiry date. I cannot find my expiry date on the Hilton site when looking at my account details - if this is possible could someone tell me how/where to find it.

Many thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
why guess........just ask HH this question.........

Originally Posted by pschafer
I received an e-mail back in August advising me my points would expire on Nov 1. Now I recently stayed at a Hilton in South Africa which shows on my account but with 0 points earned (I presume this is because I booked via a hotel booking site and not the Hilton Site). I would like to know if a stay with 0 points will extend my expiry date. I cannot find my expiry date on the Hilton site when looking at my account details - if this is possible could someone tell me how/where to find it.

Many thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:25 am

Many thanks.
No, it does not count against your account; I had the same issue last year and there was no way to get it credited.
Regards
Georg
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: HH diamond

Many thanks.
Third party sites, which is what you used for your South Africa stay, do NOT count for stay or night credit. Your South Africa stay does NOT extend your points expiration. It counts as ZERO credit for all.

Your points expiration is as your email states: Nov 1.

You will need to have ELIGIBLE activity (stay booked via hilton site or some other earnings, e.g., Hilton AMEX, HHonors mall, etc) before Nov 1.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
The cheapest way may still be to buy 1k points. Purchases from the Hiton mall may not work. I purchased soemthing from a shop via the mall but got no points after two months.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Thanks all, I did sent HH an e-mail regarding this question but still to get an answer. I will just buy 1000 points as I would like to get my meagre balance (93000+) up to some even number so I can clear them out with a 1 night redemption somewhere nice along the way in my travels. (Fortunately I pretty much cleared out my account more than a year ago with a great stay in Koh Samui, before the most recent devaluation).

As an aside, I've given up accumulating points in any hotel program due to my perceived lack of value inall such programs. I just stay where I want based on value for money, location, TA reviews and so on.

Update - got a reply to my e-mail from HH - confirmed my stay with 0 points would not "count" but "as a gesture of goodwill" they would award me 2000 points which would extend my expiry date by 1 year. Very nice service.

Last edited by pschafer; Oct 1, 2013 at 1:03 am Reason: Updated info
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
I went to a timeshare presentation at the Elara in Las Vegas, and they tried to tell me that the only way to keep points from expiring was to buy a timeshare. I told them I was constantly earning more points with my credit card, and they said that didn't matter. Two different people said this. I expect better from Hilton. They shouldn't be lying to their guests.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:53 pm

They are timeshare salesmen. Lying is their job.

However, I think if you own their timeshare, you may get certain status (Gold?)
Old Oct 29, 2013, 3:11 pm

Of course, I am visiting here because my points are expiring. If I buy something using my points in the HHONORS shopping mall, will it keep my points from expiring for another year? I have seen items for less than 2000 pts but I have not been through check outs yet.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
HHonors points have shown up as a redemption for My Coke Rewards (US) again. Not the greatest value by MCR standards- 225 MCR points= 500 Hhonors points- but it might be useful for someone out there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.