Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:04 pm

Just wondering, do AMEX purchases still count towards activity requirements? What about e-rewards? I tried both (spent $1 on AMEX) and redeemed $25 e-rewards towards Hilton Honnors, but in both cases my activity does not reflect this action, even though the point balance went up. Trying to keep my father's account active as last time he stayed at a Hilton was last December.

Thank you,

PedroNY
Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by PedroNY
Just wondering, do AMEX purchases still count towards activity requirements? What about e-rewards? I tried both (spent $1 on AMEX) and redeemed $25 e-rewards towards Hilton Honnors, but in both cases my activity does not reflect this action, even though the point balance went up. Trying to keep my father's account active as last time he stayed at a Hilton was last December.

Thank you,

PedroNY
Any points EARNINGS will move your expiration date by 1 year. That includes Hilton-linked CC (AMEX & Citi).

Do the points not reflect in the recent activity portion of your account?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Any points EARNINGS will move your expiration date by 1 year. That includes Hilton-linked CC (AMEX & Citi).

Yes, that is exactly is the problem. The "recent activity" tab says that there is no activity, period. the point count actually goes up, but it is not shown in anyway in the recent activity. I called HHonnors but they could not explain why that is the case, a bit weird if you ask me.

Best,

PedroNY
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by PedroNY
Yes, that is exactly is the problem. The "recent activity" tab says that there is no activity, period. the point count actually goes up, but it is not shown in anyway in the recent activity. I called HHonnors but they could not explain why that is the case, a bit weird if you ask me.

Best,

PedroNY
Under all points activity, my amex points show up:

29 Aug 2013 AMERICAN EXPRESS POINT BONUS 23808 0
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: A few
does a transfer from amex membership rewards extend account status by a year?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Have 7303 points expiring Nov 7. Any easy way to keep them alive? Maybe a 1000 point magazine redemption or a cheap item in the rewards mall? Not saving them for anything but rather would not lose them.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
And I just cleared them out through the points for magazines thru the reward store. Got the economist and fortune.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by travelinfoo

I see my AMEX hilton activity on my account, but I don't actually see any expiration date for my account. Does Hilton actually calculate and show the expiration date of the miles, or as long as I earn a few points from my AMEX hilton I am in the clear to hold my ever-less-valuable balance?

I've been top tier at Starwood, Marriott and Hilton and while it's been a race to the bottom Hilton has definitely been winning. Can't think of one change they made for the better as opposed to the other two which have had some positive changes in the past.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
Originally Posted by kash
They are timeshare salesmen. Lying is their job.

However, I think if you own their timeshare, you may get certain status (Gold?)
Yes, but I already have Gold, from my Citi Visa Reserve card.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by pitflyer
I see my AMEX hilton activity on my account, but I don't actually see any expiration date for my account. Does Hilton actually calculate and show the expiration date of the miles, or as long as I earn a few points from my AMEX hilton I am in the clear to hold my ever-less-valuable balance?

I've been top tier at Starwood, Marriott and Hilton and while it's been a race to the bottom Hilton has definitely been winning. Can't think of one change they made for the better as opposed to the other two which have had some positive changes in the past.
The website unfortunately does not show the expiration date. You can calculate it yourself. It is 1 year from the date of your last activity posting.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 3:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by forextrader
http://shoptoearn.hhonors.com/loyrew...=1373704063616

Try the Hilton shopping mall - perhaps something you needed to buy online anyway, the merchant could be a mall partner.

One of the merchants is abebooks.com - I used them to buy a $3 Sudoku book - I think I earned 15 HH points, which took like 3 months to post - but, the points were shown backdated to the order date.

I had also confirmed with HH customer service, that as long as I made the purchase before the expiration date, this would keep the points active.

I did this about 2 years ago - so could be worth a quick call to CS just to make sure policy is still the same.
First time ever buying from one of these points malls (personally I hate the hassle and risk of going through the mall and not receiving credit, like those cash back portals)... but, wanted to extend my HHonors points.

How long does it take for the transaction to show up in the account (even as "pending")? I ask because I just placed an order, and nothing is showing up. Not sure if it takes 90 days to even know if the transaction was registered properly with Hilton? Or should the transaction at least show "pending" within a day or so?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:57 pm

What is the best use of these points - it appears the hotels are difficult to find and expensive.

How about transferring to Delta Skymiles? I have 19k Skymiles left.
HHonors will give 1500 Advantage for 10k HH
But gives 1000 Skymiles for 10k HH
Worth it?

I also became eligible for the Surpass card - it has an annual fee of $75. Not sure if it is worth?

Last edited by sciconf; Jan 24, 2014 at 2:27 pm
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
I am "BLUE".
I had one stay last week. I will have two more stays these year, with the last one in November.

Does this mean my points will be valid till November 2015?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by MarcoGT
I am "BLUE".
I had one stay last week. I will have two more stays these year, with the last one in November.

Does this mean my points will be valid till November 2015?
Yes
Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
One question: to reach silver shall I make 4 stays/10 nights in one calendar year (jan-dec)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.