Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: Depends on the card offers :)
Need to reset HHonors points clock. Easiest way?

I just got an email that my points are about to expire, so I need to earn a few quickly. Don't care how many, as long as it resets the clock.

I don't plan on staying at a Hilton property/renting a car before they expire, and I'm actually out of the country, so earning points through a dining program isn't practical. Does anyone know of an easy promo that doesn't involve me buying something I don't need from their mall?

Survey, newsletter, or something similar to E-Miles would be great.

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, Hyatt
Hhonors' website says you can do one of the following:

a. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
b. earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
c. purchase HHonors points; or,
d. donate points through The Hilton HHonors Giving Back Program.

C or D is probably easiest. You can buy points here:
http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/points/purchase.do
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by cripps
Hhonors' website says you can do one of the following:

a. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
b. earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
c. purchase HHonors points; or,
d. donate points through The Hilton HHonors Giving Back Program.

C or D is probably easiest. You can buy points here:
http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/points/purchase.do
Thanks for the speedy response. As I don't stay in hotels very frequently, I'm really hoping to find a free solution to reset the clock. It isn't really worth it for me to buy points.

I think the obvious answer would be to just the HHonors points go...but I hate seeing value go to waste!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, Hyatt
How many points do you have? I think the minimum is 1000 points for $12.50.

If you don't want the points to go to waste, donate some to charity!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by JordyC
Thanks for the speedy response. As I don't stay in hotels very frequently, I'm really hoping to find a free solution to reset the clock. It isn't really worth it for me to buy points.

I think the obvious answer would be to just the HHonors points go...but I hate seeing value go to waste!
If I understand you correctly, you don't want to spend any resources to keep HHonors points from expiring yet you have no plan to use those point. Something is missing here...
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by lewende
If I understand you correctly, you don't want to spend any resources to keep HHonors points from expiring yet you have no plan to use those point. Something is missing here...
I'll use them...one day. I'm not a big hotel user, but if something is earned, why let it go to waste? It's always easy to reset the clock for ff miles (often for free), so I assumed it's the same for hotel points.

I don't have many points, I think I stayed at a Hilton property for two nights, so perhaps donating them to charity like @cripps said is the best use of them.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 2:26 pm

e-Rewards allows you to transfer to Hilton HHonors. This is an invite only program, but it's pretty easy to find an invite in your inbox somewhere if you've been part of traveler programs for a while.

TopGuest allows you to check in to a hotel through Facebook or Foursquare and get 50 HHonors points, which should restart the clock.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by javacodeguy
TopGuest allows you to check in to a hotel through Facebook or Foursquare and get 50 HHonors points, which should restart the clock.
Boom! Exactly the kind of solution I was looking for, thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 1k
expiring diamond... help me plan a trip!

Hi all,

My diamond status is expiring in March... but I've got a couple hundred thousands points left to kill. I'm based in London & want to take a long weekend to make the most out of the status. Any tips on where I should consider?

I was thinking maybe Rome Cavalieri (where I haven't been yet), but not sure I want to have an action packed weekend staying so far out of town. The old standby would be the Paris Arc de Triomphe, but i've been to paris half a dozen times now, and would love to do something new. (Same with Barcelona).

anything special in the hilton/waldorf set I should see before I never stay in a hilton ever again? :P Or anything that is just the right combo of location and great upgrade rooms?

thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: AA Plt, HH Diamond, IHG Plt
The Molino Stuckey in Venice is a really nice hotel and has upgraded us every time we have stayed there on awards. Venice always has something going on to.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 7:58 am

cool, thanks. is it pretty conveniently located? never been to venice either.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:41 am

if you are looking for a weekend I'd say go for it; however, if you are just trying to 'burn your points' are you sure you wanna do that?

if you are still travelling, just try to get your diamond status back.^
(unless, of course, you cannot and have no choice).
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:16 am

Seychelles? Maldives?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:16 am

Um.. yeah. i've heard Rangali is the place to be... but the maldives are a bit far for a long weekend (leave friday, return monday).

shoreline: I am still traveling but I'm no longer staying exclusively hilton. and perhaps more importantly, i'm no longer spending $40k a year on my Surpass card, since i've switched my primary CC to the Citi Executive AA card... :P
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:54 am
Community Director Emerita

Dubrovnik - have yet to stay in their Hilton, but there are many rave reports. It is an old palace with a great view over the old town.

Evian - I really like this hotel with its beautiful view over Lake Geneva.

Dresden - delightful town with the Hilton in the most desirable location, steps from its 600 year old cathedral. Check weather reports; it might not be a great winter location.

Berlin - it's been years since I've stayed in the Hilton, but I liked it and it was just a couple block walk to the grand museums on Potsdamer Platz

Vienna and Munich both have solid business hotels in good locations for sightseeing. I particularly enjoy Vienna, and there is a Hilton within the central ring and historic heart of the city

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.