Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:45 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Bumping this. I just successfully used the TopGuest social media check in process to earn 50 points from a Doubletree. I'm hoping this will reset my expiration date.

Points posted in about 3 days. There's a thread in MilesBuzz about it.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: A|Club Gold, HHonors Silver, TAP Miles winner
Little help

Hi everyone,
I know this does not sound like a lot but our 14400 points are expiring in February. I was waiting to buy a restaurant.com certificate for $2, but the offer does not seem to be available at the moment.
I am not sure if spending $12.50 is worth it since I am not sure if we will be able to use the points anyway.

There is a remote chance we will be going to Liverpool later in the year. The hampton inn is only category 2 12500 points. Can I book an e-reward for a tentative date now and then later have it amended without loss of points? Or if I cancel the reward, are the points reinstated or do I lose them (since I had no activity in my account)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Reservations can be amended as long as the inventory still exists. And, cancellations do return the full amount of points into your account.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:17 pm

Hilton HHonors Dining New members can earn 1,100 Bonus Points

1 Join Hilton HHonors Dining and register for the Get a Jump on 2011 Bonus.
2 Spend $30 dining at participating restaurants, bars and clubs over the next 30 days.
3 Complete a review within 30 days of each dine. (The review link will be emailed to you, and it only takes a minute to complete.)
4 Earn 1,100 HHonors Bonus Points.

GET A JUMP ON 2011 BONUS DETAILS
*This bonus offer is open to new Hilton HHonors Dining members or existing members without a dining profile at the time of registration. A dining profile includes creating a web login and opting in and remaining opted in to receive emails from Hilton HHonors Dining with a valid, deliverable email address. To qualify, your profile must originate through one of the "Join Now" links on this page. You must register by March 31, 2011, to qualify for this bonus. You must continue to satisfy other Online and/or Elite Member level criteria to earn this bonus.

To earn this bonus, you must spend a total of $30 (including tax & tip) in any combination of dines at participating restaurants, bars or clubs within 30 days of registering for the bonus, and submit a review about the dine within 30 days of your dine. You must complete a review of your dine for the dine to count towards this bonus. Please note that activity that occurred prior to registration will not be eligible for this bonus. In addition, all dines must occur during a valid reward period and be paid for with a credit or debit card registered in Hilton HHonors Dining. A maximum of 1,100 Bonus Points may be earned with this bonus. Offer is not combinable with other Hilton HHonors Dining bonuses. Please allow 4-6 weeks from your dines for any Bonus Points to post to your Hilton HHonors Dining account. All account inquiries related to this bonus must be received by August 30, 2011.

Please note that some restaurants offer rewards only on certain days of the week or up to a maximum spending amount per month. For complete program Terms and Conditions, guidelines and restrictions, and the latest rewards calendar, visit hiltonhhonorsdining.com. Other limitations may apply.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I vaguely recall being able to see an expiration date for my HHonors points due to inactivity on the HHonors website in the past, but can't find it these days. Where should I look? Or am I just supposed to figure out the date of my last activity (2/8/10) and plan accordingly?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:17 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Or am I just supposed to figure out the date of my last activity (2/8/10) and plan accordingly?
Yes. If it is February 8, 2010 then hurry. If it is 2 August you have some time left.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:29 pm

Canadians??

Hi all, do you know if Canadians can apply for either of the Hilton Honours credit cards? We have approx 15000 pts (not many) that are about to expire in April and want to keep them. We are considering one of those programs but I do not see where they apply to Canada. Anyone know? I may just have to do the purchase of 1000 points..please let me know if anyone has any info, thanks! We have 3 nights booked later this year in the States at hilton brand hotels but not until then.

thanks!

Leah
Old Mar 4, 2011, 5:11 pm

I don't understand why it would be a good business decision for Hilton to inactivate a guest account for inactivity after a year of non-use. I certainly understand zeroing out the points, and I am not complaining about that at all. However, I went to book a week stay at a Hilton property and see that my Hilton account no longer exists. I stayed at a Hilton in 2009. Why does Hilton do that with this tough economy? Is it some Hilton Computer geek that thinks it is too expensive to store old guest accounts on the server ( I mean at least for 3 years) ? Storage is cheap! You'd think they would be glad to have a customer back. Email statements cost next to nothing. It irritated me enough that now I am staying at a Starwood property instead.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 2:22 am

Programs: EK Gold; BA Silver; GF Silver; HH Diamond, SPG Plat; IHG Plat
Hi

I have searched the forum, but are transferring miles from one account (my wife's) to another account (mine) a way to stop her points expiring?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by Caledonian
Hi

I have searched the forum, but are transferring miles from one account (my wife's) to another account (mine) a way to stop her points expiring?
NO. Here is the info from Hilton TC:
# Members who do not earn points in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and, if so, are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. To keep the HHonors account open, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:

* stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio;
* earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation; or
* purchase HHonors points.

Here are my recommendations -

1) buy points
2) purchase something through Hilton mall.
3) dine through hilton dining.

Hope it helps.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by KenP
I don't understand why it would be a good business decision for Hilton to inactivate a guest account for inactivity after a year of non-use.
Honestly, I don't think anyone here understands why they do it.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 6:04 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by gv111
NO. Here is the info from Hilton TC:
# Members who do not earn points in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and, if so, are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. To keep the HHonors account open, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:

* stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio;
* earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation; or
* purchase HHonors points.

Here are my recommendations -

1) buy points
2) purchase something through Hilton mall.
3) dine through hilton dining.

Hope it helps.
or
4) Use your Hilton Honors Credit Card one a year
Old Mar 21, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KenP
It irritated me enough that now I am staying at a Starwood property instead.
Except Starwood has the same account cancellation policy with one year of inactivity.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:47 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Except Starwood has the same account cancellation policy with one year of inactivity.
But SPG never does, and the staff are much better than the HHonors gestapo!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
I'm in the same boat as my 5000 or so Hilton points are about to expire at the end of March. Just looked through the Hilton HHonors Mall and figured I could buy a couple of 1-hour prints from Walmart (enough to equal $1), and probably just pick them up from the nearest local Walmart.

That should work to keep my points from expiring for another year hopefully!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.