Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond Plus, HHonor Diamond, SPG, CX
Thanks guys. I guess I will have enough travel plan to feed my accounts ... and saw the "expiration if no activities within 12 months" in HHonors terms and conditions .. so that means they do not keep your points and your account if there is no activities within 12 months? That's not flexible!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by popcorndk
.. so that means they do not keep your points and your account if there is no activities within 12 months? That's not flexible!
Well, it is a program for frequent guests. If you can't manage at least one stay a year, I think you are not the customer the program is designed for.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond Plus, HHonor Diamond, SPG, CX
I wasnt saying I am not able to manage my stays regularly .. comparing to the airline FQTVs, some keep your points for 5 years, some keep for unlimited time, depending on airline's own terms and conditions. What they should do is to keep the real loyal customers even if they for some reasons have not been able to travel as much during a period of one year.

On the contrary, if you frequently visit every "frequent guest" program, regardless airlines or hotels, I guess those are really not the loyal customers a business would want!

Sorry sguy to have brought your discussion so far out of topic.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by popcorndk
What they should do is to keep the real loyal customers even if they for some reasons have not been able to travel as much during a period of one year... Sorry sguy to have brought your discussion so far out of topic.
No, don't apologize, I think it's really pertinent. If a multi-year Diamond suddenly drops to two or three stays in a calendar year (perhaps he / she got laid off -- an all-too-plausible scenario these days) I think there ought to be some consideration there. Absolutely.

When customers only use Hilton once every year or two, however, then complain that the program isn't working for them, I don't see their case. The program's mission is to reward a certain degree of patronage.

What HHonors (and to be fair competing programs) is so bad at is tracking and predicting customer lifetime value over a multi-year arc, then dispending status and benefits accordingly. The program's focus is always on the here and now. It's ridiculous to comp people to Gold on the basis of nearly no loyal behavior, but knock a Diamond down to dirt level because of a probably-temporary hiccup in his travel spend. HHonors ends up with a lot of people in the mix who either don't value the status they've got, because they did nothing to earn it, or think they should be granted elite status because they might show loyalty in future, which I also disagree with.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:59 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
beforew this goes too far off topic

you can keep points alive by

buying points at HH
spending $$ on HH dining (registration required)
staying at a cheap hotel through HH, not priceline etc

but it is true - points expire after 12 mos of no activity, AND reports are that you do NOT get a "last warning."

squeakr
co mod HH
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Does a charge to a Hilton CC (Amex, Visa or Surpass) do it? I'm referring to non-hotel spend that accrues HH points>
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:17 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Does a charge to a Hilton CC (Amex, Visa or Surpass) do it? I'm referring to non-hotel spend that accrues HH points>
YES! ANY charge on your HH CC will post new HH points into your HH account and ANY activity in your HH account will keep your points "alive". Charge one Starbucks drink PER YEAR on a HH CC and your points stay active for the next 12 months.

I find it a sin (yes, I said it) when people let perfectly good points expire. (I have a friend who gets expensed travel, earns thousands and thousands of miles and points and then lets them expire. Truly, I want to ring his neck. )

It's soooooooooo easy to keep these accounts active.

Last edited by sk3; Oct 25, 2010 at 4:47 pm Reason: to add the bit about my dumb friend!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:33 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by sguy
Not a regular Hilton customer, but have 20K points expiring at the end of this month.

Trying to find a hotel to redeem these points on but not much luck...

My next visit to the US/Canada will be in Jan-Feb 2011, and there don't seem to be any Point Savers for Jan-Feb, is this usual?

Other places I will visit are UK, Europe and most of Asia-Pacific, but I can't find anything for only 20K points except really out-of-the-way hotels in the UK.

Any suggestions on what to do with the points? I can always transfer them to miles, but the conversion rate doesn't seem good.
I recommend you spend $12.50 and buy 1,000 points right now online.

As mentioned above you could also get account activity through Idines, also Erewards, and by using HH's e-shopping portal for that matter. Or you could tranfer points to another HH member, or receive points from another HH member.

And you're right, the conversion ratio for points to miles is BAD.

But being that the clock is now ticking for you, I'd just consider the $12.50 your "penalty" and buy the 1,000 pts online now. Then you're set for another year - and hopefully you'll have more HH stays between now and 12 months from now, or at the least find something of value to do with the points you have during that time.

Last edited by sk3; Oct 25, 2010 at 4:41 pm Reason: added ways to earn points
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Essentially ANY activity that changes the points total in the account is "qualifying" - earn points with a qualifying survey, purchase at a retail or travel partner (e.g. car rental), card charge, a hotel stay, points purchase, points spend, etc. It's also imperative to be sure e-mail and other data are up to date.

(Even if they close the account, often people can advocate for getting points back with stays, etc. and are often even given short cut challenges to status.)

(As for airlines - more than one has gone for 18 months of inactivity results in points loss.)
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Let's be fair to Hilton (not that I'm a fan) but $12 and change is pretty cheap and easy for a 1-year extension. SPG requires that you earn actual points at a hotel or use an SPG Amex - which is a royal pain for those of us who don't do Amex. Then again, IC and Hyatt points never expire...
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by JDiver
Essentially ANY activity that changes the points total in the account is "qualifying"
Redeeming as well? For some reason I haven't been staying much in Hiltons anymore as they are either sold out or ridiculously expensive in Europe. However, I just redeemed a stay in the US where I will be for a few days. I also waitlisted an eUpgrade. Will my spend at this stay generate any points that stop my points from expiring?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:16 pm

2 stays in next 12months = points back

My points expired in late September. Today when I called HH I was told that if by October 2011 I manage to have two qualifying stays I would have all my points re-instated. All I have to do is call them a few days after my 2nd stay and re-mind them to have my points re-instated. I think that is pretty fair.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:36 pm
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
anyone got trouble using the hilton shopping mall?
I could not sign in..
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
HHonors dining is another easy source. I have a participating Deli restaurant nearby. Will just spend a $1 and it should be good.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA PLT
Originally Posted by BearX220
No, don't apologize, I think it's really pertinent. If a multi-year Diamond suddenly drops to two or three stays in a calendar year (perhaps he / she got laid off -- an all-too-plausible scenario these days) I think there ought to be some consideration there. Absolutely.
There should also be a soft landing, as I know many on this forum have posited well before me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.