Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: RA
thanks all
I have spent long times for reading this thread
22 pages and 320 posts
Did not find a precise answer
!!
I do not know what to do to keep the points not expiring
I am very confused

In any case
thanks
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Use the Hilton shopping mall https://www.hiltonhhonorsearningsmall.com/ and buy a dining certificate from Restaurant.com. Use code PRESENT for 80% discount.

So get a $25 off certificate from a restaurant in your area for $2 - you will earn 18 HH points and that will keep your points from expiring.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by forextrader
Use the Hilton shopping mall https://www.hiltonhhonorsearningsmall.com/ and buy a dining certificate from Restaurant.com. Use code PRESENT for 80% discount.

So get a $25 off certificate from a restaurant in your area for $2 - you will earn 18 HH points and that will keep your points from expiring.
Don't know that it would work if Abdulmalik100's location is the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (just a guess).

Easiest thing to do is to buy 1,000 points for $12.50 USD.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Don't know that it would work if Abdulmalik100's location is the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (just a guess).

Easiest thing to do is to buy 1,000 points for $12.50 USD.
Agreed. Also restaurant certs are unreliable. I ordered one and my card was charged but I never received it.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Never had a problem with certs - but in all fairness I did not pay attention to the posters location and I agree - buy 1K miles for $12.50 - easiest way.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 8:06 am

Never had a problem with certs - but in all fairness I did not pay attention to the posters location and I agree - buy 1K miles for $12.50 - easiest way.

Is this the way guaranteed 100%?
Is it a try this way?
Is Ietonk before the deadline to cancel my account?
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Abdulmalik100
Is this the way guaranteed 100%?
Yes, guaranteed per T&C below, from HHonors Term & Conditions. Purchased points post immediately.

13. Members who do not earn points in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and, if so, are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. To keep the HHonors account open, the member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:

1. stay at a Hilton Family hotel;
2. earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation; or
3. purchase HHonors points.

Failure to take action (a), (b), or (c) described above will result in the deactivation of the Member's account and the forfeiture of all accumulated points. Once the account has closed, the member may not retrieve any points forfeited by Hilton. Any reward redeemed by the member before the account closes (such as a hotel reservation made or a car rental voucher obtained) is still valid after the account closes. Members are exempt from the foregoing requirements during their first year of enrollment.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:15 am

Can't we buy a $10 GC to a store like Kohls or B&N from the shopping mall and get points for it to remian active?

Has anyone tried that?
Old Jun 21, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, HHonors Diamond (earned), Aer Lingus Gold Circle, ex-UA,ex-NZ
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Can anyone confirm from personal experience that a 1,000 miles purchase has kept their account alive, even with no hotel stays ?
Yes. I was worried that I would lose tens of thousands of points. It was well worth the $12.50.

And now I am staying regularly again and have reached Diamond and also have a HH credit card, so I don't think it will be a problem for me again.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:24 am

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Join e-rewards....works for me and others to top off HH if needed. Keeps HH active with only the lowest level of earnings = 1000 pts

Useful for other programs too ....Global coverage
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by pb9997
Yes, guaranteed per T&C below, from HHonors Term & Conditions. Purchased points post immediately.

13. Members who do not earn points in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and, if so, are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. To keep the HHonors account open, the member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:

2. earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation; or

Failure to take action (a), (b), or (c) described above will result in the deactivation of the Member's account and the forfeiture of all accumulated points. Once the account has closed, the member may not retrieve any points forfeited by Hilton. Any reward redeemed by the member before the account closes (such as a hotel reservation made or a car rental voucher obtained) is still valid after the account closes. Members are exempt from the foregoing requirements during their first year of enrollment.

ok sir
thank
I selected
I purchase 1000points=12.5$
I hope that My Points safely
I hope that now I should be reassuring
Old Jun 23, 2009, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Purchasing points does work. I've done it. It is inexpensive and easy to do.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Apologies if this has been answered already, but this thread is 300+ posts and 7 years long.

Does an award stay keep an account active?

The T&C is ambiguous:
Members who do not earn points in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and, if so, are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. To keep the HHonors account open, the member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:

The brown text above suggests that an award stay might not, since it does not earn any points. But item #1 says "stay at a Hilton Family hotel" and does not explicitly specify that it must be a paid/point earning stay.

Does anyone know for sure? My last paid stay was in October '08; in December '08 I redeemed points for a stay in April '09. Will my account expire in October, in December, or in April '10?
Old Jun 24, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by swag
Apologies if this has been answered already, but this thread is 300+ posts and 7 years long.

Does an award stay keep an account active?

The T&C is ambiguous:

The brown text above suggests that an award stay might not, since it does not earn any points. But item #1 says "stay at a Hilton Family hotel" and does not explicitly specify that it must be a paid/point earning stay.

Does anyone know for sure? My last paid stay was in October '08; in December '08 I redeemed points for a stay in April '09. Will my account expire in October, in December, or in April '10?
About the earning on awards: I'm not sure for the stay itself, but put some costs on your bill and you will be fine, because you earn (at least) 10 points for every dollar spent. So spent a dollar and you're save.

For the other question: I guess October '09 is the date of milesexpiration.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver

Any estimate on how long it takes for these points to post? Just realized that my last stay was July 12, and I'd hate for my account to be wiped out in 5 days because of a lack of activity...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.