Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by jwudbwei
So what's the conclusion? Does points earned from e-reward and point.com etc. count as activities to prevent the points from expiring? I went though most recent postings but failed to draw any conclusions.

WJ
My answer is yes, E-reward redemptions do prevent the points from expiring. I have been doing e-rewards redemptions into my father's Hhonors account and the account is still active without any loss of points. His last Hilton stay was over 18 months ago (and his last non E-rewards activity)
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by frank_10b
I though I was going to stay in doubletree in Orlando, however news to expedia and me when I arrived is that doubletree is no longer doubletree but vista??? So now my pts are all going to expire 2-1-07.
Well, if you booked the hotel through Expedia, you wouldn't have been entitled to points even if the property were still a Doubletree, so that part may not have helped you.

Were it me, I'd probably just pay the $12 or so to HHonors to buy 1,000 points.

Mike
Old Feb 23, 2007, 5:41 pm

Programs: United
Angry Hilton Honors expired points

I am so distressed with these people at Hilton. While I understand you cant keep accounts active forever with inactivity, they made no effort to notify me that my points would expire. Afteer nearly 20 years of travelling for work and also planning conventions and major award shows at Hiltons from LA to NYC over the years...I get the shaft when I need them the most! I was hoping to use my 98.000 points to help me with accomodations while seeking treatment for a brain tumor. I havent travelled as much in the last few years due to this condition. No other program, airline or hotel has done this. I guess its the way things are going though. When I first called, I explained what happened and they said that they would reactivate and reinstate my miles. I even took the Reps name. When I later checked, my balance was ZERO! I called again and they said that they would not reinstate it and had no record of my call! They also emailed me that offer of 5K bonus for each nite I stay in 2007 until my prior balance is reached! So much for loyalty. I dont think I want to reward pooer behavior and give Hilton 20 nites of my money this year. I will spread the dirty word on Hilton and stick with Mariott & Starwood.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by njlogan
I am so distressed with these people at Hilton. While I understand you cant keep accounts active forever with inactivity, they made no effort to notify me that my points would expire. Afteer nearly 20 years of travelling for work and also planning conventions and major award shows at Hiltons from LA to NYC over the years...I get the shaft when I need them the most! I was hoping to use my 98.000 points to help me with accomodations while seeking treatment for a brain tumor. I havent travelled as much in the last few years due to this condition. No other program, airline or hotel has done this. I guess its the way things are going though. When I first called, I explained what happened and they said that they would reactivate and reinstate my miles. I even took the Reps name. When I later checked, my balance was ZERO! I called again and they said that they would not reinstate it and had no record of my call! They also emailed me that offer of 5K bonus for each nite I stay in 2007 until my prior balance is reached! So much for loyalty. I dont think I want to reward pooer behavior and give Hilton 20 nites of my money this year. I will spread the dirty word on Hilton and stick with Mariott & Starwood.
I am very sorry for your health situation, and hope Hilton reconsiders. Priority Club points do not expire and HH might want to take notice.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 4:20 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Typically, if you have no activity in your Hilton HHonors account for 12 months, the points in your Hilton HHonors account are subject to expiration.
Just got my new, blue , card. (Hey, the previous Gold card was comped so no big deal.) What puzzles me is that it says to ensure I don't lose my "HHonors privileges" (and the footnote talks about closing my account) I must earn HHonors points before 30 June 2007. But I stayed in a Hilton in late January! So they're giving me 5 months?! Is this a new rule?

PS They've sweetened the rather ominous tone of the missive with a double points offer from May to July (which niftily co-incides with 3 stays I will make in June). But I'm not feeling too special, by the look of the brochure this is a standard letter to downgraded Golds - presumably to encourage them not to defect entirely now that they have no status to defend. It worked - I was considering changing some of those June bookings, but this might make me change my mind.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:16 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
just signed up for the mypoints acct through Hilton to get the 500 bonus points.

This should keep my account active yes? How long does it normally take to post? My last stay at a HIlton hotel was 8/10/2006.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 2:42 pm

Programs: hilton honours, BAEC,BMI
Originally Posted by richiezc
just signed up for the mypoints acct through Hilton to get the 500 bonus points.

This should keep my account active yes? How long does it normally take to post? My last stay at a HIlton hotel was 8/10/2006.
will it definitely keep the account active??
my last stay was also oct2006
and i don't have a stay planned yet
Old Jun 22, 2007, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Just got my new, blue , card. (Hey, the previous Gold card was comped so no big deal.) ...I must earn HHonors points before 30 June 2007....

PS They've sweetened the rather ominous tone of the missive with a double points offer from May to July (which niftily co-incides with 3 stays I will make in June). But I'm not feeling too special, by the look of the brochure this is a standard letter to downgraded Golds ...
I'm in the same boat. Got downgraded to a BLUE. Just signed up at mypoints.com for some bonus HH pts. Hopefully these will get posted by June 30, 2007. Anyone know how long before the points get posted? Thx!
Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:07 am

Programs: UA,DL,CZ
Question How to keep my points from expiration

Hi all,

I just got the E-mail from HHonors that my HHonor points is goingto expire since I have not been staying at Hilton for a year.

Is there a good way to keep my points from expriation? I have 38000points and I am a member in China.

Thanks,

tylor
Old Jun 25, 2007, 5:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by tylorcl
Hi all,

I just got the E-mail from HHonors that my HHonor points is goingto expire since I have not been staying at Hilton for a year.

Is there a good way to keep my points from expriation? I have 38000points and I am a member in China.

Thanks,

tylor
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Attached is a thread which will give you lots of options.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...oints+expiring

Also, FYI, as a new member you might not be aware of the search feature. The search feature is located on the blue bar, directly under the title of this thread. Almost anything you want to know on flyertalk can be found by starting a search.

I would also suggest you reading the PLEASE READ FIRST: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Pertaining to Hilton HHonors thread at the top of the first page, as it contains some of the best information about the Hilton HHonors program.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:56 am

I read through all 16 pages and found conflicting answers to my question.

I believe each of the following 3 activities will refresh my account to keep it from expiring. Is this correct?

(1) Last month I transferred Amtrak to HH.
(2) I'm about to transfer eRewards to HH in July, Oct, Jan.
(3) 500 points for signing up at MyPoints.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm already aware of the no fee HH Visa.

Originally Posted by Madgalena
To keep a Hilton account alive, just sign up for MyPoints through the link on the Hilton page. The 500 bonus points should post in 2-3 days.
Originally Posted by Eugene
As I said above, "taking action" does not necessarily mean that you have to stay at a Hilton. Any means of accumulating points would be fine (E-Rewards, MyPoints, car rental, etc)
Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Any activity counts. Transfer some MyPoints or E*Rewards in
Originally Posted by cool_guy
Here is what the HHonors CRS replied to my ... query:

Thank you for your e-mail. Exchanging points from E-rewards does not
keep your account open.
Originally Posted by ultypt
E-reward redemptions do prevent the points from expiring. I have been doing e-rewards redemptions into my father's Hhonors account and the account is still active without any loss of points. His last Hilton stay was over 18 months ago (and his last non E-rewards activity)

Last edited by rrgg; Jul 9, 2007 at 3:02 pm
Old Jul 13, 2007, 5:59 pm

How to avoid miles/points expirations?

In addition to staying in a Hilton brand hotel: any other imaginative ways to preserve your points soon to expire?
Old Jul 13, 2007, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

Originally Posted by best
any other imaginative ways to preserve your points soon to expire?
How about reading the thread below and checking the FAQ sticky?
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435471
Old Jul 13, 2007, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
get a Hilton credit card from either Citi or Amex
Old Jul 13, 2007, 8:49 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by best
In addition to staying in a Hilton brand hotel: any other imaginative ways to preserve your points soon to expire?
You can buy some points... $10 worth and it will keep your account active
and points safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.