Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2009, 2:52 am
Suspended

Programs: BMI, VS, Marriott, SPG, HH*S, GoldPoints+
Quick and Dirty / Expiration

Can anyone recommend a Quick and Dirty way to credit a small points award in order to keep an account alive?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 4:07 am

Programs: LH, HH, PC
You can purchase 1.000 points for $12,50. That's quick but not dirty.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 4:47 am

Or make an award reservation for a year in the future - certificate is issued immediately. Then cancel when you want to use the points.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:14 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Just bought my iTune (singular). They usually credit points over to UA pretty quickly; I'll report back when it posts. (My HH points currently have two months to live.)

Originally Posted by Boraxo
(Compare with the obnoxious SPG program which requires an actual stay or an SPG Amex card ).
Coffee at a Starwood hotel's restaurant, or gum from the on-site sundries shop, can earn Starpoints. You might need to drop by the front desk or ask the clerk to make sure your SPG account gets credited (or just send the receipts to SPG), but they do count.

Edit: Points posted on 14 April.

Last edited by paytonc; Apr 20, 2009 at 1:41 am
Old Mar 7, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Just checked & my last HHonors activity posted 17th March last year for a 10-12 March stay.

Does this mean with no activity for nearly a year I may lose my points (288,000)?

If so should I just buy some points (UK based) to keep the account alive?

Just transfered 1,000 points from e-rewards (credited instantly), does that keep the account active for another year?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by pmcg; Mar 7, 2009 at 4:44 pm Reason: e-rewards transfer
Old Mar 7, 2009, 11:37 pm

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by pmcg
Just checked & my last HHonors activity posted 17th March last year for a 10-12 March stay.

Does this mean with no activity for nearly a year I may lose my points (288,000)?

If so should I just buy some points (UK based) to keep the account alive?

Just transfered 1,000 points from e-rewards (credited instantly), does that keep the account active for another year?

Thanks in advance.
ANY transaction will count as activity, so if they really credited, then you're fine for another year.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 4:53 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by Brobbel
ANY transaction will count as activity, so if they really credited, then you're fine for another year.

Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:54 pm

Don't let them steal your points!!!

I advise everyone who has had their points stolen from Hilton, without notification, to submit a Better Business Bureau complaint. We can’t let them get away with breaking the terms of membership and ripping us off. They are NOT apologetic and they don’t want our future business. The lady I spoke to was RUDE and didn’t care at all. I earned those points and they took them with a smile on their faces. They did NOT email me to let me know that the points were expiring. She said she did, but after reading the flyertalk thread, looks a lot of people haven’t received that email notification.
Go to www.bbb.org and submit a complaint. It is easy to fill in the forms. Use this address for the complaint:
Hilton Honors
P.O. Box 9003,
Addison, TX 75001-9003
You can use my text for your complaint or modify it to suit your needs:

I tried to login to my Hilton Honors account today and found my account to be inactive. I called in and the rude lady said my account was purged and my points expired.

My last Hilton activity/stay was in 2007. But I had not received any notice of my account being deactivated-- or anything from Hilton telling me that my account would be closed due to inactivity. (As an aside, I haven't had any activity in my Marriott account in over 3 years, and yet I can still pull up my account, view my credits etc.)

So I was not aware of any expiration of points within Hilton, as apparently many others were also not notified of expiring points by Hilton. See the discussion thread at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...thread-20.html.

Hilton failed to honor the contract. It states that they would notify me of any expiring points. The rude lady I talked to did not offer to reinstate my points, she said I have to purchase 5 nights of hotel stays to get 25,000 points. That is unacceptable. Hilton is stealing points from people they want as customers.

I want all of my points back plus additional points for Hilton breaking the contract.

I want to warn all consumers to be wary of Hilton Honors, they will steal your points as soon as they can.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Can anyone confirm from personal experience that a 1,000 miles purchase has kept their account alive, even with no hotel stays ?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I can confirm that using my HHonors Amex has kept my account alive without any stays but I don't know about simply purchasing points.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 8:43 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Can anyone confirm from personal experience that a 1,000 miles purchase has kept their account alive, even with no hotel stays ?
Yes, I did just that last year and my points are still there. No stays since, either.

Originally Posted by paytonc
Just bought my iTune (singular).
Still hasn't posted, 3+ weeks on.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 1:49 am

Programs: HHonors, WN RR
Contact a local Hilton property and ask the GM if it is possible to have them check you in for a night at a deeply discounted rate...

although buying 1000 points would probably be easier...
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Marriott, American
Without reading the 23 pages of posts before this, I simply have this to say about retaining your points and/or miles in their programs .

Going down my list, the easiest program to deal with,
far and away is Marriott's who stated that they never,ever close or delete anyone's acctunless it's specifically requested..

(Too bad that all the programs don't make it so easy)

As far as The Hilton HHonors program, by simply opening an acct. in one of their 'associated' Credit Card Co.'s and charging anything to that acct. once a year keeps the acct. up to date,no questions asked.

The same holds true with United Airlines. Use their Credit Card AT LEAST once a year and you're acct. will remain active and you're good to go.

Of course,it's best to decide what suits your needs the best,and by using their card almost exclusively, you'll really see quite a growth in the amount of points or miles you have in your preferred program .

Again,I hope I haven't rehashed what someone already else has..
If so,sorry.
Take care
Old May 25, 2009, 6:45 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Points Expiry

How can I stop HH points from expiring? My last stay in a HH hotel was Aug 2008.

Will transfering points from AMEX accent to HH fix this problem?

I have 140,000 points with HH and hold Diamond Status.

What is the ideal amount to transfer?

thanks

CHucksta
Old May 25, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Check the sticky:

How To Keep Hilton HHonors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

The Definitive “HELP! My Hilton HHonors Points Have ALREADY Expired!” Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.