Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:55 am
In Memoriam

To be honest, 6000 points is 1/4th of a night at a Hampton Inn.

Is it really worth keeping open if you have to do some of these silly things?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:59 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Someone posted in one of the forums recently that they had lost a whole bunch of points because they expired. They called the company (Delta, Marriott, Hilton?) and argued that they won points in one of the online sweepstakes games. The CSR said that these sweepstake points didn't count towards "activity."

I'd be safe and get a Hilton credit card. I have one that has no annual fee. The only thing on it is my hometown newspaper's monthly charge. It's sufficient to keep my account active.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:24 am

Programs: hhonors,NW WP,National
When do hhonors points expire ?

Is there a specific time period after which the hhonors points expire ?
like 3 years or 5 or whatever?
Please help!!

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 30, 2006 at 11:48 am Reason: This milepost was merged into this thread unedited.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:49 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by enkey
Is there a specific time period after which the hhonors points expire ?
like 3 years or 5 or whatever?
Please help!!
Typically, if you have no activity in your Hilton HHonors account for 12 months, the points in your Hilton HHonors account are subject to expiration.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by cool_guy
Here is what the HHonors CRS replied to my e-reward-To-Hhonors-conversion for saving from membership lapse query:

Thank you for your e-mail. Exchanging points from E-rewards does not
keep your account open. The survey bonus already posted in June 2005. To
keep your account open you may purchase 1,000 points at USD 12.50 or you
may record a stay on your account. Should you need further assistance
please let us know.

--
Hi,
Please let me know, if earning HHonors points via e-rewards will help
me keep my membership from lapsing. If I redeem e-rewards $ for hhonors
points today, will they post in time to save my membership from lapsing?

Was I conned into buying HHonors points??
Confusing info from Hilton vs what has been posted here.

I called and talked to a HHonor CSR. She said that 1) points from the mycokerewards promotion does not count as activity in my account; 2) an award stay last Nov will keep my account active until this Nov; 3) only points earned via HHonors AMEX card or buying points directly from Hilton were the only approved activity (if not staying at a Hilton branded hotel). She also said that I can make an award stay online for a Scandic Hotel.

The last points from a Hilton stay was late Sept 2005, so do I need to do something quickly? I assumed that the mycokerewards points to my Hilton account would be enough to keep it active.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:19 pm

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by headinclouds
The last points from a Hilton stay was late Sept 2005, so do I need to do something quickly? I assumed that the mycokerewards points to my Hilton account would be enough to keep it active.
Hilton points can and do expire. A few years ago, a relative complained to me that she was no longer able to log into her HH account. A quick call to Hilton confirmed that the account was suspended and all points gone (due to lack of any account activity over the period of a year), though a plea from me did get the account and points reinstated.

Do bonuses count towards non-expiration? I don't know and wouldn't want to find out the hard way. I did notice that some bonuses such as the Awareness Profile Bonus post undated on the HHonors Online Activity page. Would this lack of a date also affect its viability as a qualifying activity? Unknown.

What I can say is that a $12.50 purchase of 1000 HHonors points would, as a clearly stated qualifying activity, buy a lot of peace of mind.
Old Oct 14, 2006, 1:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Is it still true that you can keep your HHonors points from expiring simply by charging something on your Amex?
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Yes. That's what I've done.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Here's another question on the subject: I'm a little short of my next MyPoints 5K redemption level and the one year mark since my last activity rolls around in late Jan., and knowing it can sometimes take a while for MyPoints to post should I buy 1K for twelve bucks to ensure the account stays active until the award goes through? I don't have lots in the HH account at the moment, but 50K also not an amount I'd like to lose due to poor planning either.

Opinions, please.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:18 pm

Just wondering, since all you were talking about was adding points to your accounts, how about using some points? Like stay one night in one hotel. Can I keep my remaining points for another year this way? Because "account activity" is not just adding points, am I right?
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pctang
Just wondering, since all you were talking about was adding points to your accounts, how about using some points? Like stay one night in one hotel. Can I keep my remaining points for another year this way? Because "account activity" is not just adding points, am I right?
yes, that will work too
Old Dec 15, 2006, 4:55 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Points expiring on 31/12/2006

Any way to keep them open? Will not be able to stay in hotel.

Also if I book now for end of january will that Help?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 6:09 am

Is it even worth trying?

Yep, my fault - I ended up with two extra accounts due to some job changes, which I had forgotten about until I found the paperwork during a home move over the holidays. I haven't had any activity on the accounts since late 03/early 04. I know there are points in each, but when I try to log in with the numbers it says the account is no longer active. I know I should have charged a stay along the way, but that's spilled milk now. I can call ("you never know until you ask"), but does anyone have any thoughts on my chances of getting these accounts reinstated?

Thanks.

Last edited by fcrit; Jan 4, 2007 at 6:12 am Reason: Typos!
Old Jan 4, 2007, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1p HH gold
So what's the conclusion? Does points earned from e-reward and point.com etc. count as activities to prevent the points from expiring? I went though most recent postings but failed to draw any conclusions.

WJ
Old Jan 23, 2007, 5:02 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Ways to prevent pts from expiring?

I though I was going to stay in doubletree in Orlando, however news to expedia and me when I arrived is that doubletree is no longer doubletree but vista??? So now my pts are all going to expire 2-1-07. I did this MYPOINTS survey for 250 plus 60 pts however I dont think they are going to post in time. Also called to make my account gold with the old code, however what can I do to save my pts?
thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.