Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Official Honors FlyerTalk Ambassador

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Honors FlyerTalk Ambassador

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by underpressure
I can tell you why, some "genius" at Hilton looked at all of those nickels and dimes being collected by the airlines and said, "hey, why can't we do that?"
What that braintrust did not see is when the airlines were taxing their casual travelers, they actually enhanced the service to their best customers with better seats/food/booze/free wifi service/upgrades and they did not charge their best customers luggage fees.

This is pure crap.
Hotels have been nickel and diming since long before the airlines even thought of it. Most likely, in fact, the airlines got the idea from hotels.

Hilton is probably betting that most of its "best customers" are going to pass this internet fee through to their employers/clients. Given that said customers have been doing this for decades with $300 rates for dumpy rooms, $5 cans of coke, $30 room service burgers, and $20 shirt laundry, they probably have a point.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not being an apologist at all. I travel 50% for leisure and 50% for an employer that doesn't allow for much excess spending, so these fees hit close to home and I'll personally push back. But I'm just saying, for a chain that has long been focused squarely on the traditional "business traveler", I can't say that this surprises me in the least.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I sent a complaint to hilton. I have not heard back. Perhaps my message did not go through.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Free LTE tethering and massive data plans have largely made hotel wifi irrelevant to me. Sometimes I actually prefer the cheaper hotels as they would have coin operated laundry machines available which I really appreciate.

To me, especially when I'm just looking to shower and sleep, a travelodge and a Hilton do the exact same thing, except the travelodge does it way cheaper.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:50 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I am collecting your feedback re: Tiered Internet each day and regularly sharing with my team. I will continue to post any new updates I receive!

Thanks,
Erin
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
My Gratitude

To All Hilton staff, Erin as well(while you could not help with the last PM request, many thanks for trying!), too numerous to mention but especially exec lounge at Conrad Tokyo, certain management at Grand Waikikian but
most of all to customer care folks. My mom, bless her, always said, "Ask nice, then ask twice(still nice)."
When the ball is dropped, Hilton, my home away from home is quick to pick it up-service recovery at Hilton is to be emulated by all in the hospitality business. Thanks again!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:07 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Esltroy
I sent a complaint to hilton. I have not heard back. Perhaps my message did not go through.
I got a reply "we are constantly evaluating our brands.... bla bla bla"

It would have been better had they not replied at all.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jake108
To All Hilton staff, Erin as well(while you could not help with the last PM request, many thanks for trying!), too numerous to mention but especially exec lounge at Conrad Tokyo, certain management at Grand Waikikian but
most of all to customer care folks. My mom, bless her, always said, "Ask nice, then ask twice(still nice)."
When the ball is dropped, Hilton, my home away from home is quick to pick it up-service recovery at Hilton is to be emulated by all in the hospitality business. Thanks again!
Thanks for this feedback, jake108! ^

Cheers,
Erin
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Erin,

Have you gotten any feedback from the-powers-that-be on Lifetime Diamond or some sort of "retirement" benefit from HHonors?

I'm a longtime actual-stay Diamond (not a credit card one), and I've made status again for next year already... But my travel for work is sunsetting. I look forward to travel just on my own without it being a work trip, but once I lose Diamond and am dumped unglamously to nothing-status, I guess I don't see any reason to stay loyal to any chain.

For illustration, on airlines, I used to be United Gold, and went out of my way to book only that brand. Now that my points are used up, I'm not going to make status with them anymore (but still fly a decent amount), I just book whatever's convenient / cheapest / best for that particular trip.

I imagine hotels will be the same way for me in a year or so. Right now, if I'm spending a week in Hawaii with my family, darn betcha I'll go out of my way to be at the Embassy Suites Beachwalk. But without some sort of lifetime benefit, I suppose I'll look into other brands in the area.

Any thoughts or whispers of promise for those that have been loyal to the program all these years that want to stick with it in retirement?

TDM

PS: yes, I know, I could just lean on my credit card. Kinda lame though.

Erin,

There's been a number of folks chiming in that this is a request we'd like addressed: have you heard any feedback, pro, con or otherwise?

Thanks!

TDM
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Erin,

There's been a number of folks chiming in that this is a request we'd like addressed: have you heard any feedback, pro, con or otherwise?

Thanks!

TDM
Hi Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant,

Please find more information here!

Cheers,
Erin
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:40 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative

Cheers,
Erin
Thanks Erin!

Any news on the "Late Check in"

Thanks,

UP
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by elkhornne
What would it really cost Hilton to offer Lifetime Diamond say after 10 consecutive years as a Diamond? IMO nothing, and they'd gain lifetime loyalty.
Looky here!
http://www.ausbt.com.au/hilton-hotels-introduces-lifetime-hhonors-diamond-status-tier-membership
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative

Cheers,
Erin

Thanks for the update and listening!

Hope I get the email and actually qualify for this thing!

TDM
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by underpressure
Thanks Erin!

Any news on the "Late Check in"

Thanks,

UP
Hi underpressure,

I don't have any new information currently, but I'll be sure to share any updates that come my way!

Cheers,
Erin
Old Dec 23, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
Just got told by the Bloomington Hilton that they didn't upgrade me because I didn't select it as an option for 15.00 night to an executive room, and since I selected a room on check online I wasn't eligible for an upgrade. Is this correct? Also hold time greater than 37 minutes.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by philfna
Just got told by the Bloomington Hilton that they didn't upgrade me because I didn't select it as an option for 15.00 night to an executive room, and since I selected a room on check online I wasn't eligible for an upgrade. Is this correct? Also hold time greater than 37 minutes.
I had the emboldened font part happen to me at the SEA Airport Hilton and Conference Center earlier this year when I arrived to pick up my key. I did OLCI for that stay.

The iPhone app online check-in process specifically has a statement assuring the customer that selecting a room via the online process will in no way jeopardize the chance for an upgrade - if it's available when you arrive at the hotel, you'll get it. I've also seen that assurance stated in this thread by Erin.

The truth is out there somewhere. Can someone tell us exactly where?

Last edited by dave1013; Dec 23, 2014 at 2:54 pm Reason: thread assurance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.