Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Official Honors FlyerTalk Ambassador

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Honors FlyerTalk Ambassador

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Hi Lauren, and a belated welcome!

I was shocked to see that a key Diamond benefit, enhanced WiFi, is now only to be available for direct bookings. Given that most of my travel is for work, and we are required by policy to use our corporate travel site, this negates a significant reason for me to choose Hilton family properties over nearby counterparts when they are otherwise both compliant such that my personal preference can be a factor. It also makes me wonder what else I will lose going forward when I elect to obey the policy rather than further my brand loyalty, since that loyalty appears to be ever less valued.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by WoodyWindy
Hi Lauren, and a belated welcome!

I was shocked to see that a key Diamond benefit, enhanced WiFi, is now only to be available for direct bookings. Given that most of my travel is for work, and we are required by policy to use our corporate travel site, this negates a significant reason for me to choose Hilton family properties over nearby counterparts when they are otherwise both compliant such that my personal preference can be a factor. It also makes me wonder what else I will lose going forward when I elect to obey the policy rather than further my brand loyalty, since that loyalty appears to be ever less valued.
What did your corporate travel rep say? They can negotiate WiFi (or enhanced WiFi) to be included in corporate rates. Could save your employer a lot of money if WiFi charges are reimbursable under corporate travel policy.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by Segments
What did your corporate travel rep say? They can negotiate WiFi (or enhanced WiFi) to be included in corporate rates. Could save your employer a lot of money if WiFi charges are reimbursable under corporate travel policy.
I don't have an answer on that yet, but I can't help feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg, and that other benefits, or even status qualification itself, may eventually hinge on using direct channels to book.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Not making Gold/Diamond show ID when eCheckIn is done is a fairly recent change. The 2013 brand standards are outdated.

I find most properties in California still demand ID even when I do the eCheckIn. Other states, not so much. I have questioned a couple of California properties and was told that ID only has to be shown on your first stay and then they won't ask again? Another California property asked me to verify my address on file in lieu of ID and when I asked about that they told me they were not allowed to ask for ID anymore for HHonors Members as long as I could verify the address on file in the account.

The check-in experience with Hilton and eCheckIn is noticeably better and more efficient than other chains with a similar offering (such as Hyatt, surprisingly pointless implementation there). I really appreciate the 15-20 second check in and check out process at Hilton properties.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Not making Gold/Diamond show ID when eCheckIn is done is a fairly recent change. The 2013 brand standards are outdated.

I find most properties in California still demand ID even when I do the eCheckIn. Other states, not so much. I have questioned a couple of California properties and was told that ID only has to be shown on your first stay and then they won't ask again? Another California property asked me to verify my address on file in lieu of ID and when I asked about that they told me they were not allowed to ask for ID anymore for HHonors Members as long as I could verify the address on file in the account.

The check-in experience with Hilton and eCheckIn is noticeably better and more efficient than other chains with a similar offering (such as Hyatt, surprisingly pointless implementation there). I really appreciate the 15-20 second check in and check out process at Hilton properties.
I honestly don't see what the big deal is about showing ID when you check in. I have it out and ready when I get to the front desk. Usually get told don't need it but I have it ready in case. No big deal and what, 5 seconds to pull wallet out and take ID out of wallet? Meh, no big deal.
Old May 25, 2016, 6:20 pm

Question for Lauren

Dear Lauren,

I always book online with the Hilton AMEX card and pay with the same card at check out. I would guess that about 25 to 30% of the time, the 500 AMEX co-branding points do not post. I would call in and the Diamond Desk would always manually add the 500 points to my account.

Today I called with the same issue. A Diamond Desk rep told me that the 500 points have nothing to do with Hilton and that I need to contact AMEX. When I informed her that the Diamond Desk has always added the points, she kept me on hold for 20 minutes while she researched the problem.

The rep finally returned to tell me that Hilton adds the points as a courtesy, but that the points really originates with AMEX. She also told me that the "rules" stipulate that, if the hotel touches my reservation by upgrading me, I would lose the 500 points.

With all the newly-minted Diamond members, it is difficult enough to get an upgrade. Hilton is now telling me that, if I were to benefit from an upgrade, I would be penalized by 500 points???

I asked for a written copy of the "rules" and the rep said I need to contact AMEX for the "rules."

Please tell me that the above cannot possibly be true. And if it is true, can you please tell me where the written "rules" are located?

Sincerely,
Bamboola
Old May 25, 2016, 11:27 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by 747FC
Hi Lauren,

I have a question for Hilton: Why do my "Request Upon Arrival" Orders NEVER get fulfilled? Not once have my requests for extra pillows or towels ever shown up in my rooms without me first having to call housekeeping after I check in. Kind of makes me feel that putting in the Request is a waste of my time.

Why does Hilton set up the expectation that service will be delivered and continually fail to deliver?

Just last week this [didn't] happen at a Hilton and a Doubletree. Found the same problem at Conrad. It appears to be a system-wide problem, at least for this Gold member.

Just wondering. Thanks.

And, Welcome to FT!
Update: I am in Germany now, and it appears that the Germans actually follow procedures, as my requests were actually waiting for me in my room! Add to upgrade to EL, wow!
Old May 25, 2016, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by bamboola
Dear Lauren,

I always book online with the Hilton AMEX card and pay with the same card at check out. I would guess that about 25 to 30% of the time, the 500 AMEX co-branding points do not post. I would call in and the Diamond Desk would always manually add the 500 points to my account.

Today I called with the same issue. A Diamond Desk rep told me that the 500 points have nothing to do with Hilton and that I need to contact AMEX. When I informed her that the Diamond Desk has always added the points, she kept me on hold for 20 minutes while she researched the problem.

The rep finally returned to tell me that Hilton adds the points as a courtesy, but that the points really originates with AMEX. She also told me that the "rules" stipulate that, if the hotel touches my reservation by upgrading me, I would lose the 500 points.

With all the newly-minted Diamond members, it is difficult enough to get an upgrade. Hilton is now telling me that, if I were to benefit from an upgrade, I would be penalized by 500 points???

I asked for a written copy of the "rules" and the rep said I need to contact AMEX for the "rules."

Please tell me that the above cannot possibly be true. And if it is true, can you please tell me where the written "rules" are located?

Sincerely,
Bamboola
For a variety of reasons, I know more about this glitch than just about every DD rep I've ever dealt with. Bottom line is the rep you spoke with is either grossly misinformed or lying. The problem occurs when you are upgraded or your room is otherwise changed at check-in, through no fault of the property. A simple call or email to an informed rep should take care of the problem, but as you've seen, you sometimes run into trouble; in that case I would HUACA until you get the bonus manually posted. There are no rules or other such nonsense, and AMEX isn't part of the problem - it's simply an HH issue that has never been corrected. Frustrating to go through hoops for a relatively minor number of points, but if you stay at HH properties frequently, 500-point bonuses eventually add up.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:25 am

Thanks, Smmrfld. Your analysis is right on. I had to call the Diamond Desk on another unrelated matter this morning and brought up my question from yesterday. Today's rep also said that yesterday's rep was "misinformed" - which is a very tactful way to put things.

I usually wait until the 500 points are missing from 5-6 stays and then call in to get the missing 2,500 to 3,000 points. You are certainly correct that these 500-point bonuses add up. In my case, I earn at least 20,000 points every year via the AMEX bonus.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I never paid much attention to this, but I am missing at least 500 point bonuses as well. I agree Am Ex wouldn't have anything to do with the points.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:48 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Dear Lauren,

Sincerely,
Bamboola

Hi bamboola,

I sent you a private message - look forward to hearing back.

Thank you,
Lauren
Old May 26, 2016, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Dear Lauren,

Sincerely,
Bamboola
Sadly the issue with the 500 Amex points has been going on for as long as I can remember, probably greater than 10 years. The Diamond line used to be good about rewarding this right away (Hyatt is best as they always give you a 50% retro bonus if they don't post), these days more and more agents want to open cases that you always seem to have to call back in 6-8 weeks cause the case they opened doesn't fix the problem.

Originally Posted by smmrfld
For a variety of reasons, I know more about this glitch than just about every DD rep I've ever dealt with. Bottom line is the rep you spoke with is either grossly misinformed or lying. The problem occurs when you are upgraded or your room is otherwise changed at check-in, through no fault of the property. A simple call or email to an informed rep should take care of the problem, but as you've seen, you sometimes run into trouble; in that case I would HUACA until you get the bonus manually posted. There are no rules or other such nonsense, and AMEX isn't part of the problem - it's simply an HH issue that has never been corrected. Frustrating to go through hoops for a relatively minor number of points, but if you stay at HH properties frequently, 500-point bonuses eventually add up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.