Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Official Honors FlyerTalk Ambassador

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Honors FlyerTalk Ambassador

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Hi Erin-

I know this is under discussion in 1-2 other threads, but if you can please share with your team that (in the opinion of at least one Diamond member), the idea to downgrade free Gold/Diamond internet to "standard" service and charge Golds/Diamonds for "premium" internet access is just about the worst decision Hilton could have made.

Free high-speed internet access is one of the most valuable benefits of my HH status. Is it sometimes used for personal reasons? Sure, but it's more often used as an essential part of my work.

I think the word that this is an official policy has not spread too far yet--I think many of your most frequent guests feel exactly the same way. Taking away free high-speed internet access from Golds/Diamonds is one of the stupidest changes that could possibly have been made to the HH program; I think if you ask others you will hear the same thing.
I agree. Marriott, SPG and Hyatt give top tiers free access to the highest speed available.

A big complaint on various threads is there isn't much difference between gold and diamond benefits. If you started giving diamonds the highest speed for free this would be a great added diamond benefit and would be added encouragement to remain diamond or achieve diamond status.

I someone stays in a hotel the required number of nights a year for top tier, they probably have a lot of business stays and want the higher speed for business purposes more than streaming. And for those, like me that spend more nights in hotels than our own houses we need streaming sometimes.

Last edited by ILovetheReds; Dec 5, 2014 at 9:43 am
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by elkhornne
What would it really cost Hilton to offer Lifetime Diamond say after 10 consecutive years as a Diamond? IMO nothing, and they'd gain lifetime loyalty.
+1. I would like to have the status for life after I retire and my stays will be leisure.

I'd rather see them do it after so many nights like the competition though instead of 10 years. There could be cases were someone has a medical leave and isn't able to travel enough one year for gold yet stays more than enough for diamonds the other years. Diamond can also be obtained through a credit card and it would be unfair to give lifetime diamond status after 10 years of diamond credit card status (also it would mean someone that has the status through a credit card would probably move to the spend from the Hilton card to a better rewards credit card after 10 years since they don't need the minimum spend for diamond anymore).

It also wouldn't cost Hilton much to add a guaranteed 4 p.m. checkout like SPG and Hyatt has or give additional benefits such as guaranteed suite upgrade certificates after x nights a year.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Hi Erin-

I know this is under discussion in 1-2 other threads, but if you can please share with your team that (in the opinion of at least one Diamond member), the idea to downgrade free Gold/Diamond internet to "standard" service and charge Golds/Diamonds for "premium" internet access is just about the worst decision Hilton could have made.

Free high-speed internet access is one of the most valuable benefits of my HH status. Is it sometimes used for personal reasons? Sure, but it's more often used as an essential part of my work.

I think the word that this is an official policy has not spread too far yet--I think many of your most frequent guests feel exactly the same way. Taking away free high-speed internet access from Golds/Diamonds is one of the stupidest changes that could possibly have been made to the HH program; I think if you ask others you will hear the same thing.
+1 and another way Hilton is falling behind the competition that provides this for free to their elite members.

Not only that but the internet service at Marriott is uniformly better than at Hilton properties that I stay at.

While this is certainly a narrow generalization based on my experience, when you have stays at 5 different Marriott properties and 9 different Hilton properties during the year and all of the Marriott properties had faster internet service than all of the Hilton properties you start making those generalizations.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Hi Erin-

+1 As a long time Diamond, the loss of high speed access will probably be a deal breaker for me. Not a very good idea to make a move like this when its easy to switch to another Brand. Especially since staus qualification starts on 1 Jan.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by musing
+1 and another way Hilton is falling behind the competition that provides this for free to their elite members.

Not only that but the internet service at Marriott is uniformly better than at Hilton properties that I stay at.

While this is certainly a narrow generalization based on my experience, when you have stays at 5 different Marriott properties and 9 different Hilton properties during the year and all of the Marriott properties had faster internet service than all of the Hilton properties you start making those generalizations.
And Marriott is providing basic internet to ALL MR members, even blue for free. So if I stay at a Marriott as a kettle I'll get the same guaranteed internet benefit I get as a diamond at Hilton.

Hilton should provide highest speed for free to diamonds. Diamonds already aren't getting enough perks as it is compared to SPG, Marriott and Hyatt diamonds/platinum's, this would be a nice benefit that wouldn't be costing them anything
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Argggg...
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:25 pm

Do hotels not realize that their frequent guests go to crazy lengths to stay with them. I have flown out of crazy airport connections to be loyal. I have driven miles to my work places just so I could stay with hilton. Arggg
Old Dec 5, 2014, 2:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Esltroy
Do hotels not realize that their frequent guests go to crazy lengths to stay with them. I have flown out of crazy airport connections to be loyal. I have driven miles to my work places just so I could stay with hilton. Arggg
IMO, they fully understand what you said and they anticipate it will continue regardless of slow/unusable internet speeds and no same-day cancellation.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 2:09 pm

Gotta pile on with the internet comments - any business traveler is just going to be peeved if in 2014 (almost 15) they can't get a decent connection. Hilton's going to lose a lot of money and good will trying to nickel and dime customers over something that costs them nothing on margin.

Also agree with posters that a lifetime status tier would be cool to put out there for the most valuable customers. "Thousand Nighter" isn't as alliterative as "Million Miler" but it still has a nice ring to it.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
It is frustrating to know that as a loyal guest with Hilton, I cannot receive complimentary access to their highest speed internet service, when for my stays at hotels where I have no loyalty affiliation at all, I can receive their highest speed internet for free.

Over the last 15 years, I have been Diamond many years and Gold the rest of the time, and I have always requalified on base points ($ spent) and most years also on stays or nights. As such, it should be clear to Hilton that they might want to value me as a customer. High speed internet is essential for business, and losing it is one more reason to look elsewhere.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:35 pm

I just checked in to a hilton in Boise. I did the usual log in to get to the internet. I had the 4.99 per day for good internet. Low grade for Diamond. Done! And it is really slow... I am wondering how long the spinner will take after I press Post Quick Reply. Perhaps for the Hilton thread the button below should say Post the Slow Hilton Reply.
Done, done, done with Hilton.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Three different Hilton stays next week. Let's see how it goes. May have to jump to Marriott, as UA 1K am already Gold without staying yet.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Free high-speed internet access is one of the most valuable benefits of my HH status... Taking away free high-speed internet access from Golds/Diamonds is one of the stupidest changes that could possibly have been made to the HH program; I think if you ask others you will hear the same thing.
Yup -- this is borderline infuriating. Sometimes these days it feels like Hilton is daring you to keep booking with them despite everything they throw at you.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:23 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
How about this?!?!?! Currently staying at the Grand Wailea. Not only do they have a $25/day resort charge which includes 5mps internet, they also sell a 'premium' speed of 10mps. A double whammy for Gold/Diamond members, and absolutely ridiculous.

(A speed check using my Verizon LTE is pulling down between 11-20 mps. I'm not even bothering with the hotel crap, to which I can barely connect half the time).

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Dec 8, 2014 at 1:29 pm
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:33 pm
In Memoriam

Hi Erin-

I can tell you why, some "genius" at Hilton looked at all of those nickels and dimes being collected by the airlines and said, "hey, why can't we do that?"
What that braintrust did not see is when the airlines were taxing their casual travelers, they actually enhanced the service to their best customers with better seats/food/booze/free wifi service/upgrades and they did not charge their best customers luggage fees.

This is pure crap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.