Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by vulle
haapalainen, BA Gold always treated as AY Plat? Finally got my BA Gold and have been wondering if I will get Plat recognition in AY economy..
Japan Airlines Diamond as OWE certainly gets the plat recognition in AY economy.
vulle likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:57 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by FFlash
Yeah but I've got diners, PPass, amex, 2 star cards and a lumotic smile which all can afford many access to free lunches, as a poor man cannot afford airport food
Off the record, I have two PP:s allowing one free guest both. Still I can not bring in three guests to Aspire or Almost Home, unless I pay for the 3rd and 4th person - says the attendant. Although by the book it should be possible?
Old May 16, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Japan Airlines Diamond as OWE certainly gets the plat recognition in AY economy.
Thanks CPH-flyer, good to hear that OWEs are treated equally.
Old May 16, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by vulle
haapalainen, BA Gold always treated as AY Plat? Finally got my BA Gold and have been wondering if I will get Plat recognition in AY economy..
Yes it's a very nice thing that AY treats oneworld Emeralds as well as their own Plats ^. Even worked perfectly on CX-codeshare last week.

Just be prepared that some FAs don't really understand the difference or even know what emerald is and thus it is just easier to tell them that you have Plat than you are emerald, especially when ordering drinks and if there is some confusion. Recently a purser brought me an "emerald-newspaper" though!
vulle and SPBanker like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by _ra_
I had a "different " recognition on AY9 on Sunday. Traveling alone, sitting on the last row of Economy Comfort. A party of three had gotten their seat selections messed up, and ended up in normal Y even though they had paid for Comfort. So the chief purser decides to approach me about it, asking me if I would be willing to move to a normal Y seat "since these people have paid money for their seats". I politely told her that I would not, and that as a Plat I don't have the possibility to pay for my seat even if I wanted to. Oh how I felt the appreciation...
What a terrible experience, and way out of line! The only good thing to come out of this was that you gave the purser a firm "No", perhaps that taught her something. Of course she should have moved you up to J (had there been any seats free).

Out of curiosity, what would you have said if she had approached you with the suggestion of moving to a Y seat + €150 gift card? Considering that AY will have to return €90 (?) cash to the downgraded pax, an offer of a €150 gift card wouldn't be unreasonable from AY's point of view.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Originally Posted by ffay005
Out of curiosity, what would you have said if she had approached you with the suggestion of moving to a Y seat + €150 gift card? Considering that AY will have to return €90 (?) cash to the downgraded pax, an offer of a €150 gift card wouldn't be unreasonable from AY's point of view.
I would've still said no. I'm over 2m tall and absolutely need the legspace.
ffay005 likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
And the purser asks someone who is not only Plat but also 2 m tall to move from Y+ to Y. Appalling. I hope I never have to fly with her.

And I certainly hope it was her own thinking rather than AY policy.
on22cz likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by haapalainen
Just be prepared that some FAs don't really understand the difference or even know what emerald is and thus it is just easier to tell them that you have Plat than you are emerald, especially when ordering drinks and if there is some confusion.
I have been told "I see that you are ex-plat" on domestic AA. I assume that meant executive platinum (not former platinum) so the problem is not exactly AY-specific.

Last edited by Courmisch; May 19, 2018 at 1:33 am
Old May 16, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I have been told "I see that you are ex-plat" on domestic AA. I assume that meant executive platinum (not former platinum) so the problem is not exactly AY-specific.
As long as there is proper status recognition, I don't really care if they see me as OWE or Platinum/Executive Platinum/Diamond/etc. so wouldn't really call it a problem
Old May 16, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: AY GOLD, HH GOLD
Originally Posted by Courmisch
Yep few days ago I was "EXP" and enjoyed 2x free snack&drink on AA LGA-MIA-CUR.

But no name on the upgrade list of AA App 😂
Old May 17, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
As long as there is proper status recognition, I don't really care if they see me as OWE or Platinum/Executive Platinum/Diamond/etc. so wouldn't really call it a problem
My proper status recognition on AA was in short like this:

Flight 1: Round 1 - "It is not free, you will have to pay." ... "Can you please double-check?" ... /served without a word/, Round 2 - another FA - "Was it just one drink included?" ... "No, it's absolutely fine."
Flight 2: Snacks and drinks offered proactively. When I woke up I found a bottle to refill on my table. Well done!
Flight 3: "It will be 8 bucks." ... "I'm Emerald." ... "It will be fine!"

Reading all the stories and experiencing many myself as well, I'm wondering how airlines communicate to their FAs and ground staff the existence of their loyalty programs.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by on22cz
My proper status recognition on AA was in short like this:

Flight 1: Round 1 - "It is not free, you will have to pay." ... "Can you please double-check?" ... /served without a word/, Round 2 - another FA - "Was it just one drink included?" ... "No, it's absolutely fine."
Flight 2: Snacks and drinks offered proactively. When I woke up I found a bottle to refill on my table. Well done!
Flight 3: "It will be 8 bucks." ... "I'm Emerald." ... "It will be fine!"

Reading all the stories and experiencing many myself as well, I'm wondering how airlines communicate to their FAs and ground staff the existence of their loyalty programs.
It does vary quite a bit with AA. In the early days it seemed that the FAs shouted at the top of of their voice "THANK YOU FOR YOUR LOYALTY TO AA, AS AN EXECUTIVE PLATINUM YOU CAN CHOOSE WHAT YOU WOLD LIKE FROM THE MENU FOR FREE" I supposed it was for the benefit of the other passengers as in 'this is what you can get for your loyalty'

I had a very fun FA on a longer domestic flight, "Mr CPH-FLYER, thank you for your loyalty to AA. You rock. If you need anything from the menu, just let me know and I'll bring it."

I have also had the completely indifferent FA who did not really say anything, just skipped charging me after I selected.
SPBanker likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I had a couple of domestic AA segments last week and was not charged anything as an OWS. I don’t know if this was an exception or a new benefit?
Old May 18, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AX
Originally Posted by remymartin
I had a couple of domestic AA segments last week and was not charged anything as an OWS. I don’t know if this was an exception or a new benefit?
DId you have a seat in main cabin extra on AA? AA announced earlier this year that they are starting to serve free alcoholic drinks (and maybe also something else) in MCE although this change has been subsequently postponed to Summer 2018. However, it has happened to me every now and then in MCE that the FAs don't charge for the alcoholic drinks (last time last week) and right now there seems to be a lot of inconsistency on this on AA (might vary depending on FA/status/route etc.).
Old May 18, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Guillou
DId you have a seat in main cabin extra on AA?
Nope. More like 58Ö auto assigned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.