Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK

The FAs various ways of acknowledging the new plat perk of free drink reaches almost höpö levels. How many have you had?

My latest: "öööö... you have a finnair card ...pause... sorry actually you have that kind of platinum card... so you can have one free drink from the menu"

I felt amused. Not nitpicky at all, just amused.

Nobody has yet comed up with something I thought what I would say: "This is on the house for black card holders". Black is a good word to use. For Finns (low status culture) it eliminates the unwanted elitism of the word platinum, and for pax from high status cultures it raises the interest of others not familiar with the art
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
yesterday was the first time it didn't feel awkward, but then they didn't refer to the status at all. there were at least 5 plats on AY834, two FA's offering drinks. the first one (young guy, maybe mid 20's) went 'can I offer you drink on the house' ('talon piikkiin'). the older lady serving me leaned towards me and almost whispered 'can I offer you a welcome drink'.

they've come pretty far from the first 'is this the top level card? do you get a free drink?'
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
I think it varies between the persons and actually in my opinion it is one of the things where I am preferring them to do it with their own personal style. It gives the extra personal touch when the discussions isn't scripted but Finnair let's them do it with their style.

I liked it when the purser was talking to one of the FA and saying "These magazines are then for Mr. Miikka when he comes, our Platinum member on board". Or when the free drink was offered with "Would you like to have any drink of your choice, free for our one of our best customers".
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:40 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FFlash

My latest: "öööö... you have a finnair card ...pause... sorry actually you have that kind of platinum card... so you can have one free drink from the menu"

Just wow.

I guess it is in the corporate culture to not coach the staff. It is like they read it of a memo; "Uh, there is something called a platuinum card and we are supposed to say something when we see it"...
How hard is it to provide staff with a couple of sample sentences just to get them started?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:25 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by intuition
Just wow.

I guess it is in the corporate culture to not coach the staff. It is like they read it of a memo; "Uh, there is something called a platuinum card and we are supposed to say something when we see it"...
How hard is it to provide staff with a couple of sample sentences just to get them started?
Good question. OTOH, the past dozen or flights or so have been very easy for me in this regard. Either I've been informed that drinks are on the house ("as one of our frequent customers" or something to that effect), or when I've ordered something, and when I was time to pay, there was just a slight nod ("It's been take care of" or something to that effect). YMMV.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I get the amusement FFlash felt becasue I just came to think of how to respond!

"Öhh, yeah, I will have one of those... with like gas inside you know...it is in a... you know.. like a bottle or something and you like open the top or what-ever and.. yeah. bubbles comes out. You know"
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum
Sparkling water for you Sir intuition then!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:39 am
Moderator, Finnair

LOL! Indeed.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
Reg Plat free drink + magazines; yesterday on AY840 "Sir jouhka - as you have platinum card as our highest ranked customers - you know you are entitled to free drinks". I did not correct that I just have OWE. No other people had OWE in Y cabin yesterday.

That perk is a nice one.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:09 am

1. Bought a beer and paid it. 10min later received 5 euros with "The beer was on the house"
2. Bought 4 beers and when paying I was told that "I have deducted 2 beers from the bill"

3. Bought 2 beers and paid it. 10min later was offered free drinks.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lauri_fly
1. Bought a beer and paid it. 10min later received 5 euros with "The beer was on the house"
2. Bought 4 beers and when paying I was told that "I have deducted 2 beers from the bill"

Wow . So the "communication" from FAs were supposedly:

1. "The beer was on the house"
2. "I have deducted 2 beers from the bill"
3. offered free drinks in silence

No further unnecessary words would have been just "an annoying babbling of a mother-in-law"?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by Lauri_fly

Are You friend of Platinum member Cistavoda ?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Are You friend of Platinum member Cistavoda ?
"äijät tekee lennolla mitä siellä tehdään klo 18 jälkeen" (translation following the guidelines from a meet-up, referring to "old farts doing what are supposed to do on a flight after 18 o'clock")
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:21 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
"äijät tekee lennolla mitä siellä tehdään klo 18 jälkeen" (translation following the guidelines from a meet-up, referring to "old farts doing what are supposed to do on a flight after 18 o'clock")
^
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:56 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo
Well well well. It's not just beer. I had 3 servings of ice cream yesterday on AY90. (with beer)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.