Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 12:32 pm
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by ffay005
Wow. I guess that's one more reason to preassign yourself an exit row seat for free, right?
So it seems. I like to be out of the plane as quickly as possible after a working day full of travelling, that's why rows 2-4 have so far been my preferred seating.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by ffay005
Wow. I guess that's one more reason to preassign yourself an exit row seat for free, right?
No. it’s one more reason for why light fares are a bad idea.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:43 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
So I am back on AY after 6 months hiatus. I am positively surprised about food which has improved, but I can't say I am impressed by the tier recognition. Perhaps I have too low a tier to be recognized.

BUD-HEL J, 4 rows filled (ie around 16 J pax)
Zero recognition. No greeting, no priority food order taken. No priority boarding (after gate opened and flooded, a call was made to say "elite members can board at their own convenience" which practically meant the end of the line)

HEL-NKG, J ≈100% full.
Priority boarding.
Zero recognition. No greeting, no priority food order taken. No chats or Slow service, no offers of drink refill.

NKG-HEL, J 14 pax in front cabin.
Priority boarding was called and enforced.
Very attentive and positive crew of the older cadre. Quote: "It is so nice to fly on a route opening and be part of something new, usually it is just the 25 y.o. girls who fly this".
Priority food order was taken. Frequent and well timed questions about refill of drinks.
Different members of staff returned several times for relaxed and unforced chats. Staff was also able to talk abit about food and was anxious for me to try options (like the "fika"/cookie-assortment) and hear feedback.

HEL-BUD, J, 6 rows filled (ie around 24 j pax)
Priority boarding was called and enforced.
Priority food order was taken, and I guess this counts as my plat chat too:
"So you have this platinum card, you can choose food now."

Last edited by intuition; May 15, 2018 at 1:00 am
Old May 15, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by intuition

BUD-HEL J, 4 rows filled (ie around 16 J pax)
Zero recognition. No greeting, no priority food order taken. No priority boarding (after gate opened and flooded, a call was made to say "elite members can board at their own convenience" which practically meant the end of the line)
Yep, BUD is horrible when it comes to priority boarding. About 1.5/2 years ago they've modified the layout of a handful of the gates, so if AY happen to leave from there, then there is possibility for proper priority boarding. Otherwise it is eather you "fight" your way to the front of the line, or you board last...
Old May 15, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
I had one of the most awkward plat recognitions a few weeks ago on EDI-HEL. Before takeoff the young stewardess came with newspaper to our row in the back of the E90 and addressed with loud voice the whole row on both side of the aisle "who of you has the plat card"? (Kenelläs teistä on se platinakortti?). I actually felt enbarrassed to raise my hand as the looks I got from other passengers were not very pleasent at that point or later during the flight.

Anyway nice that they always nowadays consider my BA OWE card a plat. Though, when getting drinks there has been no mention of free drink whatsoever lately, they just don't charge anything. Feels like they try to not provoactively offer anything but water and blueberry juice
Old May 15, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
I had a "different " recognition on AY9 on Sunday. Traveling alone, sitting on the last row of Economy Comfort. A party of three had gotten their seat selections messed up, and ended up in normal Y even though they had paid for Comfort. So the chief purser decides to approach me about it, asking me if I would be willing to move to a normal Y seat "since these people have paid money for their seats". I politely told her that I would not, and that as a Plat I don't have the possibility to pay for my seat even if I wanted to. Oh how I felt the appreciation...
remymartin likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 6:41 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by haapalainen
addressed with loud voice the whole row on both side of the aisle "who of you has the plat card"? (Kenelläs teistä on se platinakortti?). ...
Wow. Just wow.

It is like they don't know why there is a loyalty program at all. I guess we all found a platinum card in the cereal box and decided to use it to punish people... "Someone here has a platinum card and they got it just to spite me and force me to work harder".
In best case, this is a reflection of the process oriented minds at AY. "Platinum card => do some stuff", instead of a customer oriented mind "there is an important customer onboard, I want to make sure he/she is satisfied"
Worst case this is passive aggressive, thinking plats equals bully who thinks he is above average-joe. Let's hope not!

Originally Posted by _ra_
I had a "different " recognition on AY9 on Sunday.
While I can understand the thinking of that purser, this is just so wrong. So if AY screws up and fails to deliver a service they charge for, let's ask your most loyal customer to provide the solution..

Given the situation, she should have offered to moved you to J. If that was not possible, she should have found a monetary solution concerning only the 3 whose seat selection had gone wrong, not involving other customers.

Last edited by intuition; May 15, 2018 at 6:47 am
Old May 15, 2018, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
"Dear chief purser, I have a better offer: please accomodate these 3 people and I am very happy as a loyal Finnair platinum member to accept a seat change into rows anywhere between 1-8,( and I would be happy to share this inconvenient situation having been handled subtly by lovely Finnair purser)".
Later, after landing, I would have waited for those 3 Y pax and thanked them for the bump and offered them lounge access comp'ed as guests if valid
ffay005, Trav1970, on22cz and 1 others like this.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by FFlash
Later, after landing, I would have waited for those 3 Y pax and thanked them for the bump and offered them lounge access comp'ed as guests if valid
Just a sidenote: You would need a Lumo card to guest them all
Old May 15, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I had a "different " recognition on AY9 on Sunday. Traveling alone, sitting on the last row of Economy Comfort. A party of three had gotten their seat selections messed up, and ended up in normal Y even though they had paid for Comfort. So the chief purser decides to approach me about it, asking me if I would be willing to move to a normal Y seat "since these people have paid money for their seats". I politely told her that I would not, and that as a Plat I don't have the possibility to pay for my seat even if I wanted to. Oh how I felt the appreciation...
For the sake of the argument, you can pay for Comfort as a Platinum. Pay for ASR before filling the FQTV (not that it would make any sense)
Old May 15, 2018, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by on22cz
Just a sidenote: You would need a Lumo card to guest them all
Yeah but I've got diners, PPass, amex, 2 star cards and a lumotic smile which all can afford many access to free lunches, as a poor man cannot afford airport food
Tapio likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, GC Jade
Originally Posted by FFlash
"Dear chief purser, I have a better offer: please accomodate these 3 people and I am very happy as a loyal Finnair platinum member to accept a seat change into rows anywhere between 1-8,( and I would be happy to share this inconvenient situation having been handled subtly by lovely Finnair purser)".
Moving me to J was exactly what I offered as a solution. Her response: "Well you would need to pay for a seat up front... and it's fully booked up there anyway."
Old May 15, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
Moving me to J was exactly what I offered as a solution. Her response: "Well you would need to pay for a seat up front... and it's fully booked up there anyway."
I wonder if this was the same purser that I had words with about a year ago for a similar situation.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo+LTG, FI Gold, DL Silver, BA, SK, AX Plat, Priority Pass, Marriott Ambassador & others
Originally Posted by Courmisch
For the sake of the argument, you can pay for Comfort as a Platinum. Pay for ASR before filling the FQTV (not that it would make any sense)
For some reason, the following link seems like an appropriate reply to this idea: https://giphy.com/gifs/baby-night-naughty-nk12xotFCd0Na
Old May 16, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Originally Posted by haapalainen
I had one of the most awkward plat recognitions a few weeks ago on EDI-HEL. Before takeoff the young stewardess came with newspaper to our row in the back of the E90 and addressed with loud voice the whole row on both side of the aisle "who of you has the plat card"? (Kenelläs teistä on se platinakortti?). I actually felt enbarrassed to raise my hand as the looks I got from other passengers were not very pleasent at that point or later during the flight.

Anyway nice that they always nowadays consider my BA OWE card a plat. Though, when getting drinks there has been no mention of free drink whatsoever lately, they just don't charge anything. Feels like they try to not provoactively offer anything but water and blueberry juice
haapalainen, BA Gold always treated as AY Plat? Finally got my BA Gold and have been wondering if I will get Plat recognition in AY economy..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.