Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free drinks for AY Plats [and other experience reports of Plat recognition]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Flew to MUC and back. It worked well to order a drink for a collegue sitting a few rows behind me.

I also noticed on the half full flight back that all non-status pax were alloacted to row 15 and behind. The plane was packed there while further in the front some even had a row on their own.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:11 am

Last week on Finnair: "as a valued platinum member we would like to give you a drink"

Yesterday Norra after I order :"you have euh... a platinum card..... Right?"

Don't know what I like most
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
So what can you get on HEL<->ARN ? No French region-marked sparkling
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Courmisch
So what can you get on HEL<->ARN ? No French region-marked sparkling
Water, blueberry juice, tea and coffee. Just like everyone else.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Flew AA on three flights recently.

HAV-CLT, got a very personal welcome by name from the FA, who wondered why I wasn't upgraded and promised to take good care of me in Y. She saw me as EXP on her list, and they had lots of upgraded pax in the F cabin. Free snackbox.

CLT-MSY. I had a three hour connection comming from HAV, but managed to get from jetbridge to new gate in only 26 minutes, arriving on an international flight. Try to break my record! This included US immigration, customs and security. Wow! Asked to be put on the standby list for an earlier flight. GA saw me as EXP in her system, too, and my standby cleared, so I got to MSY two hours earlier (I wish AY allowed these standbys, too). No particular onboard recognition. No snackboxes on this short flight.

MSY-MIA. Since the GA would see me as EXP in her system, I wondered whether I could ask to be put on the upgrade list at the gate. EXP don't need to use the 500mi stickers, so it might have worked. But I never found out because I got an op-up instead. Flight was oversold in Y and apparently not very elite-heavy. F service consisted of drinks and snacks (crisps, cookies etc), flying time scheduled as 1 hour 55 minutes. I think they used to serve a hot snack, like pizza, on such flights before. No particular onboard recognition.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:35 pm

One of the worst Plat recognitions on today's HEL-LPA. And no, it's not the route. I've had wonderful crews on this route before.

Today
• Boarding was not by group numbers but by row; they didn't send me away, though, when I boarded with the back-of-the-bus crowd
• No Plat welcome / talk.
• The only time the purser talked to me during the whole flight was when she forbade me from using the lav "as she was just about to go to the cockpit". So there I stood, behind the curtain, long enough to have been able to make three lav visits before she finally did open that door. And when she did, the door stayed open for almost ten minutes. Must have been the slowest cockpit meal service ever – usually they just hand the tray, coffee or whatever and close the door. Takes less than a minute. I suppose she enjoyed having her Plat and a long queue of other pax standing in the aisle behind the curtain.
• No newspaper. Explanation was departure time of 5:55 am. They didn't even sell papers on this flight, which is a little strange considering that the papers are delivered to paperboys throughout the metropolitan area well before 2 am.
• I did get my free drink. The FA served me my water and my smoothie and then started scribbling away on her tablet. Only then did she probably realise that I wasn't going to pay her anything, because after some scribbling she just started serving the next pax.
• Didn't dare ask for a free drink during the second drink round. I've been offered it proactively many times on these longer Euro flights, and sometimes I've asked nicely when the crew has been accommodating. This time they probably would have thrown me in the Atlantic had I dared open my mouth.
• The waste tanks became full and all lavs were closed about 35 minutes before landing. According to FA, it is not uncommon on these long flights.

A trip back memory lane to those early 1990s charter flights, for sure. Except that those charters had free tilliliha for all...

Last edited by ffay005; Mar 8, 2018 at 4:16 pm Reason: forgot to mention boarding process
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:42 pm

If you sit on a window seat you will rarely get anything else than free newspaper...

-sulkkis
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:48 pm

This was an exit row aisle. On my way back, I have an exit row window seat because the aisles were taken
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:25 am

My preference is window, as I have motion sickness and like to rest and not be disturbed, I have had no particular problems with the free drink. I usually do get the newspaper (albeit language has been an issue, especially to/from BRU).

I don't think the greeting happens on short haul services. At least, I have never had a separate greeting, from the newspaper offer, on short haul.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE)
Flew this week HEL-LHR with AY in Y, although on a BA ticket. While waiting for the push-back, did see the crew handing out some newspapers for some customers...however passing me. During the drink service I ordered the coffee, water and a bottle of NF. Then offered my AY Plat Diners as a payment method...I silly look from the stewardess, and she saying "Oh, you are a platinum member, naturally no payment needed! Would you like to have a paper?" For some reason my status was not shown on their devices/PIL, even it was shown on the BP. Later during the flight the purser came to greet me, being sorry that my status was not initially recognized. Let's see if the same will happen on my inbound flight next week.
SPBanker likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by Hessu
Flew this week HEL-LHR with AY in Y, although on a BA ticket. While waiting for the push-back, did see the crew handing out some newspapers for some customers...however passing me. During the drink service I ordered the coffee, water and a bottle of NF. Then offered my AY Plat Diners as a payment method...I silly look from the stewardess, and she saying "Oh, you are a platinum member, naturally no payment needed! Would you like to have a paper?" For some reason my status was not shown on their devices/PIL, even it was shown on the BP. Later during the flight the purser came to greet me, being sorry that my status was not initially recognized. Let's see if the same will happen on my inbound flight next week.
Yes, it will happen... AY's inflight POS terminal does not recognise tier members, when flying on codeshare tickets. This has been reported on CX on AY and AA on AY tickets at least. Have already sent them feedback in October about this, obviously nothing has changed.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by Hessu
They have had some issues with pax status on their sales devices lately and apparently it has not been fully fixed yet. Amadeus issue, I presume.
EDIT: Mr S. was faster this time...
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Courmisch
I don't think the greeting happens on short haul services. At least, I have never had a separate greeting, from the newspaper offer, on short haul.
Might vary a lot. On LPA-HEL yesterday I received a very cordial greeting, by name, from the purser (separate from the newspaper).
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Yes, it will happen... AY's inflight POS terminal does not recognise tier members, when flying on codeshare tickets. This has been reported on CX on AY and AA on AY tickets at least. Have already sent them feedback in October about this, obviously nothing has changed.
Err? I flew JFK-HEL under AA codes due to involuntary reroute this week, and received the Platinum greeting after initial climb. The purser even asked if Internet was working before I had the time to point out that it was not.

So either NordicSky did not recognize me, or it mangled my name. But the pax manifest certainly did recognize me, as did the automatic seat assignment.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
My take is that the purser used the passenger manifest, where status is always visible. However, if the nordic sky portal doesn’t recognize you, neither does the POS terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.