Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's for dinner?

What's for dinner?

Old Aug 1, 20, 9:02 pm
  #1801  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Northern California
Programs: UA Premier Gold, Million Mile Flyer
Posts: 2,921
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
Took out a loan and bought Alaskan King Crab legs for dinner. Amazingly good.
Fresh pineapple
Cranberry Walnut bread

Happily stuffed
Probably my single favorite protein. My usual pairings are steamed jumbo artichokes and sourdough bread.
As much as I love king crab, I have feeling if it was 2.99/lb, it would become so-so after a while.
braslvr is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 9:23 pm
  #1802  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: PHX and LIH
Programs: AA: 2 MM
Posts: 75,572
Originally Posted by csufabel View Post
THOSE LOOK STELLAR!
Didyou make your own dough?
There are a few pizza forums, like FT, which have threads on dough and there is a Dough Doctor on one of them.
Didn't see this earlier. Yes, I made the dough. It's a NYT recipe.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...n=pizza&rank=2
csufabel likes this.
ILuvParis is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 9:30 pm
  #1803  
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 12,782
Dinner out:
Tuna poke bowl with one tempura shrimp, seaweed salad and sunomono
chgoeditor is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 9:42 pm
  #1804  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 5,737
Originally Posted by ILuvParis View Post
Didn't see this earlier. Yes, I made the dough. It's a NYT recipe.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...n=pizza&rank=2
I am trying this tomorrow. You did yours on the grill though, right? How long did it take and dod you put the pan directly on the grate?
Finkface is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 10:19 pm
  #1805  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 19,334
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
I am trying this tomorrow. You did yours on the grill though, right? How long did it take and dod you put the pan directly on the grate?
You have to post photos...it sounds similar to Chicago or Detroit. I am not sure i could remove it from the cast iron skillet though ....sounds tricky.
corky is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 11:19 pm
  #1806  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: PHX and LIH
Programs: AA: 2 MM
Posts: 75,572
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
I am trying this tomorrow. You did yours on the grill though, right? How long did it take and dod you put the pan directly on the grate?
Originally Posted by corky View Post
You have to post photos...it sounds similar to Chicago or Detroit. I am not sure i could remove it from the cast iron skillet though ....sounds tricky.
I've done it in the oven and on the grill several times. But, it is sooo good, we've been having it once a week and since you bake at 450į, that can heat up the kitchen pretty fast in the summertime. I'm not familiar with Detroit pizza, but the comments on the site suggest that's what it is. It's very doughy but really crisp on the bottom and edges.

I have a gas grill with three burners. I start with all of them on and get the temperature to 450į and set the pan over the middle burner. Close the lid and bake for 7 minutes. Then, I turn the middle burner off and bake, with indirect heat for 8 minutes, adjusting the other burners to maintain 450į. When the cheese on top is turning brown, it's done. These are the times that work for me, but I presume all grills are different.

One thing you must be very careful of is making sure you take a silicon spatula and loosen the pizza from the sides of the pan immediately after you take if off the grill (or out of the oven) or the cheesy caramelized edges stick and you'll really mess up your beautiful pizza. (And you don't want to scratch your pan with a sharp knife.) The first time I made it, I tried to use a plastic knife and it melted.

Once the edges are loosened, because you've put the dough in the pan with lots of olive oil, it slides right out of the pan - but it's very heavy.

It is really fun to make and just delicious. I use Chris Bianco's no cook tomato sauce - ridiculously easy and delicious.

Edited to add link for tomato sauce.

https://parade.com/608975/alison-ash...-tomato-sauce/
corky and Finkface like this.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Aug 2, 20 at 8:57 am Reason: Added link
ILuvParis is offline  
Old Aug 1, 20, 11:59 pm
  #1807  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 7,714
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
Took out a loan and bought Alaskan King Crab legs for dinner. Amazingly good.
Fresh pineapple
Cranberry Walnut bread
Happily stuffed
in December Iíve bought the king crab legs at Costco. Super yum.

Originally Posted by braslvr View Post
Probably my single favorite protein. My usual pairings are steamed jumbo artichokes and sourdough bread.
As much as I love king crab, I have feeling if it was 2.99/lb, it would become so-so after a while.
I used to have to go to Europe to go shop at Muji - I still use their omelette pan that I bought at muji DŁsseldorf in 2006. Then muji recently opened up in sf about 5-6 years ago and now Iíve gone about 2-3 times if that often. So I sort of know what you mean by Alaska king crab legs although Iíd still love it.

tonightís supper:
tartine bread - separate toasts with butter and peanut butter & Crofters morello cherry jam
I know I say itís $12 but itís 35-Oz (1000gm) loaf. Itís huge. I think I can actually get 16-18 slices. I sliced and froze 6 pieces and it was quite under half the loaf.
so one used to have to go to Tartine (very very difficult parking) at 5p to get their daily bread. Total hassle.
now they wholesale it and I can fetch it at 9:30a at a place thatís on the drive home or just 5 min drive (in San Francisco so Iím factoring traffic & parking). At 9:30a Iím usually the only client so mega convenience.
with it being easier to get Tartine bread, I get it weekly and itís just as special as when it was a very luxury item not because of cost but Because of the mega time commitment to fetch it. Before I could get it at my local gourmet grocer, I probably had it once a year because I only would go to tartine once a year if that often - itís just such a total pain and it is sized like EssA Bagel or twice that of Denise Acaboís chocolate store in Paris. Even LaDuree is bigger.
gaobest is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 1:47 pm
  #1808  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 19,334
Originally Posted by ILuvParis View Post
I've done it in the oven and on the grill several times. But, it is sooo good, we've been having it once a week and since you bake at 450į, that can heat up the kitchen pretty fast in the summertime. I'm not familiar with Detroit pizza, but the comments on the site suggest that's what it is. It's very doughy but really crisp on the bottom and edges.

I have a gas grill with three burners. I start with all of them on and get the temperature to 450į and set the pan over the middle burner. Close the lid and bake for 7 minutes. Then, I turn the middle burner off and bake, with indirect heat for 8 minutes, adjusting the other burners to maintain 450į. When the cheese on top is turning brown, it's done. These are the times that work for me, but I presume all grills are different.

One thing you must be very careful of is making sure you take a silicon spatula and loosen the pizza from the sides of the pan immediately after you take if off the grill (or out of the oven) or the cheesy caramelized edges stick and you'll really mess up your beautiful pizza. (And you don't want to scratch your pan with a sharp knife.) The first time I made it, I tried to use a plastic knife and it melted.

Once the edges are loosened, because you've put the dough in the pan with lots of olive oil, it slides right out of the pan - but it's very heavy.

It is really fun to make and just delicious. I use Chris Bianco's no cook tomato sauce - ridiculously easy and delicious.

Edited to add link for tomato sauce.

https://parade.com/608975/alison-ash...-tomato-sauce/
Yes very crispy because of all that delicious oil and high heat is the mark of Detroit pizza. Yours sounds and looks yummy. And it sounds like there is a learning curve with getting it out. no plastic knives.
corky is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 3:37 pm
  #1809  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Posts: 7,714
Originally Posted by corky View Post
Yes very crispy because of all that delicious oil and high heat is the mark of Detroit pizza. Yours sounds and looks yummy. And it sounds like there is a learning curve with getting it out. no plastic knives.
silicon ftw :-)
and metal spatula or butter knife, yes?
gaobest is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 4:18 pm
  #1810  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: SFO
Posts: 5,321
We've eaten quite well as of late, so tonight will be boneless buffalo chicken bites and a Home Run pizza or 2, both from the freezer, with crudites and perhaps a caesar salad. I'm on my first IPA of the afternoon but that's for another thread.
work2fly is online now  
Old Aug 2, 20, 7:14 pm
  #1811  
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 12,782
While buying dried fruit at TJ's today it occurred to me that we hadn't made NYT's Weeknight Fancy Chicken and Rice, which is sort of like a simplified biryani, so it's what was for dinner tonight. (We used dried mango instead of apricot because it's how we made it the first time we ate it.) Delicious! No veggies with dinner but every time I walk past my tomato plants I eat a handful.
corky likes this.
chgoeditor is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 8:05 pm
  #1812  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 5,737
Originally Posted by ILuvParis View Post
Didn't see this earlier. Yes, I made the dough. It's a NYT recipe.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...n=pizza&rank=2
This is an absolute winner! I made it tonight and it was gorgeous to look at and even better to eat. Delicious. And I am not normally a fan of deep dish pizza. I have never really liked it and much prefer Napoletana style. But this was awesome and I will definitely make it again.
corky likes this.
Finkface is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 8:14 pm
  #1813  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 19,334
Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
While buying dried fruit at TJ's today it occurred to me that we hadn't made NYT's Weeknight Fancy Chicken and Rice, which is sort of like a simplified biryani, so it's what was for dinner tonight. (We used dried mango instead of apricot because it's how we made it the first time we ate it.) Delicious! No veggies with dinner but every time I walk past my tomato plants I eat a handful.
A handful? lol. I ate one pear tomato today...the first one all week. I might have another cherry tomato by thursday.
Aren't tomatoes a fruit because they have seeds?

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
This is an absolute winner! I made it tonight and it was gorgeous to look at and even better to eat. Delicious. And I am not normally a fan of deep dish pizza. I have never really liked it and much prefer Napoletana style. But this was awesome and I will definitely make it again.
Pictures or it didn't happen.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 4, 20 at 6:57 pm Reason: merge
corky is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 8:24 pm
  #1814  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 5,737
Originally Posted by corky View Post
Pictures or it didn't happen.
Yeah, too late, sorry. But it looked exactly like ILuvParisĎs pics. And tasted awesome.
Finkface is offline  
Old Aug 2, 20, 8:54 pm
  #1815  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 19,334
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
Yeah, too late, sorry. But it looked exactly like ILuvParisĎs pics. And tasted awesome.
It's completely gone?
corky is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: