Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
pyramid! Fun. Lucky. Love it. I’ve not seen triangular shapes.
also our former fridge both had water dispenser and ice cube making, and we definitely never had a leaking issue. We also have cement floors so a leak is less inconvenient.
Yes, ours does the water too. Only thing I don't like about it is that new filters are like $50 each, for a piece of plastic.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

agreed and it’s more a lack of time to make fresh guacamole for supper. Mostly I need convenience in my life. I’m extremely honest. I basically started the cooking / prep (and pico de Gallo) at 4:45 and we started to eat at 5:40. It’s easier to buy their guacamole for $5.99 than to risk paying $5 for 2 avocado that might not have the perfect level of ripeness. I’m still learning from what bensyd had suggested.
What?? You routinely make 3 completely different dinners as well as making your own hamburger buns instead of buying for your kid's cheeseburgers. I have some tips on how to make dinnertime more convenient but it involves not running a restaurant with multiple choices in the kitchen. But it looks like everyone ate the same thing for taco tuesday so .
I would never pay $5 for 2 avocados and (more like .69 for one). Just buy it a couple days ahead when it is rock hard and it will ripen at room temp in a couple days. I do understand that there are some great already made guacs and pico de gallos out there though and i was just pointing out that grilled guac is a different flavor. BTW--what are triceratops taco shells?
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Weird, I've never had a problem with icemakers in the fridge. No leaks, no breaking. Just ice on demand. Our current fridge makes nice little pyramid-shaped ice instead of the odd half-moons other ones I've had have made.
I don't still have the article but I know Consumer Reports says that the most common thing to break on a refrigerator is the ice machine. And of course it doesn't happen to everyone but I do know 2 people who had extensive damage with water slowly dripping. One of my friends now shuts off her water if she even goes away for a few days because of what happened. Anyway, I guess I am different than most on here...I easily make my own ice as needed in silicone giant cube trays...They take up very little space in the freezer (more room for food!) and I don't care what the shape is. If i ever need more ice for a party or something....$1 for a big bag at the local dollar store.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by corky
What?? You routinely make 3 completely different dinners as well as making your own hamburger buns instead of buying for your kid's cheeseburgers. I have some tips on how to make dinnertime more convenient but it involves not running a restaurant with multiple choices in the kitchen. But it looks like everyone ate the same thing for taco tuesday so .
I would never pay $5 for 2 avocados and (more like .69 for one). Just buy it a couple days ahead when it is rock hard and it will ripen at room temp in a couple days. I do understand that there are some great already made guacs and pico de gallos out there though and i was just pointing out that grilled guac is a different flavor. BTW--what are triceratops taco shells?

I don't still have the article but I know Consumer Reports says that the most common thing to break on a refrigerator is the ice machine. And of course it doesn't happen to everyone but I do know 2 people who had extensive damage with water slowly dripping. One of my friends now shuts off her water if she even goes away for a few days because of what happened. Anyway, I guess I am different than most on here...I easily make my own ice as needed in silicone giant cube trays...They take up very little space in the freezer (more room for food!) and I don't care what the shape is. If i ever need more ice for a party or something....$1 for a big bag at the local dollar store.
I missed that.

I don't make ice here (well water that isn't great, don't want to take up the freezer space). If I need it for some reason, I'll buy it. I don't care about shape.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
My parents can no longer make that long drive, but for years Dam Site was their favorite. I haven't been there in years and need to go back.

Family cottage is near Petoskey. A local favorite for whitefish is the Terrace Inn dining room in Bay View. For a splurge, I like the Weathervane in Charlevoix.
Our place was in Bay Harbor. There are certain Little Traverse Bay dishes that I crave! The buttered noodles at Dam Site Inn are probably my #1 , but also the veggie crepes at Legs Inn, American Spoon Cafe gelato, the cold cherry soup at Staffords Pier and Toski Sands' smoked whitefish spread (which was my lunch today thanks to friends who were up there) and their cheddar horseradish dip. If we didn't have two cats at home (and aren't wild about having a petsitter/housesitter these days) we'd have spent a week or two up there this summer. Maybe we'll do a fall trip, TBD. Next summer, definitely.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Tonight it’s sausages mash and peas. Real comfort food!
Old Jul 29, 2020, 5:49 pm

NYT's Middle Eastern chicken with lemon/garlic yogurt sauce (one of our favorites and we typically make it for guests and never have left overs, so it's nice to just cook it for the two of us)
​​​​​​Couscous (my mother who grew up in Morocco and insists on making it the authenticity way would hate that I make it from a cardboard box)
Cherry tomatoes from my garden
corky likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Tired from a fun sunny hot (76??) afternoon at Marin’s pool. So fun.
tartine toast
peanut butter
morello cherry jam
butter
leftover thai iced tea

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Yes, ours does the water too. Only thing I don't like about it is that new filters are like $50 each, for a piece of plastic.
yeah, our LG fridge filter (Oem) is also $50. I’m not yet ready to buy the knockoff.

safeway avocados are $5/2 - I am not going to visit other shops for avocado savings. It’s not essential like when seeking Bays :-)
We use about $5 worth of ice a day. Best to make it.

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
NYT's Middle Eastern chicken with lemon/garlic yogurt sauce (one of our favorites and we typically make it for guests and never have left overs, so it's nice to just cook it for the two of us)
​​​​​​Couscous (my mother who grew up in Morocco and insists on making it the authenticity way would hate that I make it from a cardboard box)
Cherry tomatoes from my garden
Which box couscous? We have Israeli from TJs and Near East Brand.
corky likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

safeway avocados are $5/2 - I am not going to visit other shops for avocado savings. It’s not essential like when seeking Bays :-)
We use about $5 worth of ice a day. Best to make it.

Wow---that much ice! Is this year round or just in the summer?

T

Which box couscous? We have Israeli from TJs and Near East Brand.
Fun fact---Israeli couscous is not really couscous...it is a pasta. I love it though. Regular couscous is a grain.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 29, 2020 at 9:11 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Jul 29, 2020, 9:11 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Leftover pork fried rice.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 9:13 pm

Fun fact---Israeli couscous is not really couscous...it is a pasta. I love it though. Regular couscous is a grain.
Actually, couscous is a pasta, it's just smaller.
corky and gfunkdave like this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
When I was growing up in Israel, the product that is marketed in the US as Israeli couscous was known as פתיתים, ptitim (flakes).

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 30, 2020 at 12:19 am
Old Jul 29, 2020, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Actually, couscous is a pasta, it's just smaller.
I didn't know that..i just learned something .
Old Jul 30, 2020, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
When I was growing up in Israel, the product that is marketed in the US as Israeli couscous was known as פתיתים, ptitim (flakes).
I only bought one box of Israeli couscous at TJs but we haven’t yet opened it because we enjoy the Near East brand.

Wow---that much ice! Is this year round or just in the summer?
Much ice - we just enjoy ice in our beverages :-)
Old Jul 30, 2020, 10:25 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I only bought one box of Israeli couscous at TJs but we haven’t yet opened it because we enjoy the Near East brand.
Near East makes several types of couscous, most are traditional couscous. Their Pearled Couscous is similar to Israeli couscous.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Near East makes several types of couscous, most are traditional couscous. Their Pearled Couscous is similar to Israeli couscous.
I definitely bought smaller sizes than Israeli and so yum. Surreal how fast it cooks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.