Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2020, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
What’s the difference of Detroit style? Other than the shape, which kind of defeats the point of cooking it in a cast iron skillet?
You are correct. The pie that you made was Detroit style. Other than gaobest doing it in a square pan I don't know what he is doing different to call it that. In Detroit they use square pans because the corners are the best part---they use a steel pan.

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
There's a place here in Chicago that makes Detroit style, and I almost describe it as school cafeteria pizza. About an inch thick and doughy. I can't say what certainly how representative that is, but that's my take.
It is thick but so is Chicago deep dish. The beauty of it is the super crispy edges. It is not school cafeteria pizza. How dare you!!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 4, 2020 at 6:58 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 3, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by corky
You are correct. The pie that you made was Detroit style. Other than gaobest doing it in a square pan I don't know what he is doing different to call it that. In Detroit they use square pans because the corners are the best part---they use a steel pan.
That’s what I thought after I googled. This seems like Detroit style except it is round. The cheese is baked into the edges like Detroit. Whatever it was, it was delish!
corky likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
It is thick but so is Chicago deep dish. The beauty of it is the super crispy edges. It is not school cafeteria pizza. How dare you!!
I didn't mean it as an insult! I think Detroit style uses a much yeastier dough and deep dish uses a shorter (as in fat content) dough.
corky likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
It is not school cafeteria pizza. How dare you!!
Agreed, that deserves it's own special, delicious food group! For some reason I fondly remember school cafeteria pizza with ground beef and yellow cheese .

I have to be in the mood for Detroit style, same with deep dish. I tend to stick to Chicago tavern style or Neapolitan. But I do think Detroit style is unique and good when done right.
corky likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
On a 1 - 10 scale, in my book almost all pizza starts out at a 5 and just gets better. I've had a few in my lifetime that I'd rank lower, but that's it. I even liked Chef Boyardee out of the box when I was a kid. I would "modestly" give this one a 7.5.

Speaking of school cafeterias, I love CPS butter cookies.
corky, Finkface and JBord like this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
On a 1 - 10 scale, in my book almost all pizza starts out at a 5 and just gets better. I've had a few in my lifetime that I'd rank lower, but that's it. I even liked Chef Boyardee out of the box when I was a kid. I would "modestly" give this one a 7.5.

Speaking of school cafeterias, I love CPS butter cookies.
I agree---even bad pizza is good pizza.
I am more of a NY style but I love me some Buddy's when I go to Detroit. Technically you are supposed to put the cheese and sauce in rows. https://www.buddyspizza.com/
My parents were too cheap to get take out or delivery pizza so we had that Chef boyardee crap. I think that might be the exception to the good/bad pizza rule. As I recall it was disgusting but TBH I haven't had it in ages.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
FWIW, the Home Run Inn frozen pizza was pretty good, as far as frozen pizzas go.

An unusually buttery and flaky crust, lots of cheese, and a slightly sweet sauce.

It's certainly no substitute for a decent freshly made pie, but it was definitely better than most frozen and some of the crappier fresh alternatives.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I had a nice luncheon for our friend’s birthday so I would prefer a light supper. Hmmm.

Originally Posted by JBord
Agreed, that deserves it's own special, delicious food group! For some reason I fondly remember school cafeteria pizza with ground beef and yellow cheese .
I have to be in the mood for Detroit style, same with deep dish. I tend to stick to Chicago tavern style or Neapolitan. But I do think Detroit style is unique and good when done right.
I like barnabys pizza a bit - i‘m not a huge barnaby’s person but sometimes go there.

Originally Posted by work2fly
FWIW, the Home Run Inn frozen pizza was pretty good, as far as frozen pizzas go.
An unusually buttery and flaky crust, lots of cheese, and a slightly sweet sauce.
It's certainly no substitute for a decent freshly made pie, but it was definitely better than most frozen and some of the crappier fresh alternatives.
I forget if this is the brand used for the kids cheese pizza at Claims Company.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest

I like barnabys pizza a bit - i‘m not a huge barnaby’s person but sometimes go there.
I just love Barnaby's - hardly any left anywhere. It was the place we went to when I was in college - after somebody finally had a car. Otherwise, we'd order for delivery from places near campus.

As much publicity as Chicago deep dish gets, there are only a few places that do it really well and thin crust is much more prevalent. You can get any kind of pizza in Chicago. There are a lot of places in Chicago that have good tavern pizza (cut in squares). Another thing is "Quad Cities" pizza. Lou Malnati's is my favorite for deep dish, but the best pizza I've ever had has been Pizzeria Uno or Due, but I find Lou's more consistent.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Chicken thighs in a mushroom and garlic cream sauce with egg noodles on the side. Crudites as a prelude and a Seguret for the wine.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I agree---even bad pizza is good pizza.
I am more of a NY style but I love me some Buddy's when I go to Detroit. Technically you are supposed to put the cheese and sauce in rows. https://www.buddyspizza.com/
My parents were too cheap to get take out or delivery pizza so we had that Chef boyardee crap. I think that might be the exception to the good/bad pizza rule. As I recall it was disgusting but TBH I haven't had it in ages.
We got those boxed pizzas, but I don’t think the ones we used were from Chef Boyardee. Appian Way pizza, I think. That dried cheese you sprinkled on top was pretty pathetic.
corky likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I just love Barnaby's - hardly any left anywhere. It was the place we went to when I was in college - after somebody finally had a car. Otherwise, we'd order for delivery from places near campus.

As much publicity as Chicago deep dish gets, there are only a few places that do it really well and thin crust is much more prevalent. You can get any kind of pizza in Chicago. There are a lot of places in Chicago that have good tavern pizza (cut in squares). Another thing is "Quad Cities" pizza. Lou Malnati's is my favorite for deep dish, but the best pizza I've ever had has been Pizzeria Uno or Due, but I find Lou's more consistent.
I remember as a kid a pizza chain called Uno's that served Chicago style deep dish pizza. Didn't go there to often as my parents were New Yorkers. Also worked for a mom & pop place as a delivery driver for a few years for a couple originally from Chicago. They didn't do deep dish, but made the pizzas "Chicago" style. They said the difference between NY and Chicago styles was where the toppings go. Chicago would put the toppings on after the sauce, but before the cheese. NY would put the toppings on after the cheese. After all this time, I prefer the NY style, but as a driver, I would do 30 to 40 deliveries on an average night working 3 to 11 pm by myself or 20-30 deliveries working with a second driver on busy nights.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Deli sandwich purchased earlier today as potential luncheon for my spouse
fresh fettucini with Rao’s marinara and leftover meatballs & spicy sausage
grilled cheese

I was shocked to learn that Lou Malnati was the Uno’s founder. I learned this years after going to THE UNO’S and discovering their tight tables and benches. I had been going to the UNO’s in SF for ages before hitting Uno’s Mecca.

Originally Posted by teddybear99
I remember as a kid a pizza chain called Uno's that served Chicago style deep dish pizza. Didn't go there to often as my parents were New Yorkers. Also worked for a mom & pop place as a delivery driver for a few years for a couple originally from Chicago. They didn't do deep dish, but made the pizzas "Chicago" style. They said the difference between NY and Chicago styles was where the toppings go. Chicago would put the toppings on after the sauce, but before the cheese. NY would put the toppings on after the cheese. After all this time, I prefer the NY style, but as a driver, I would do 30 to 40 deliveries on an average night working 3 to 11 pm by myself or 20-30 deliveries working with a second driver on busy nights.
I like Giordano’s and Gino’s East but Lou Malnati’s is my favorite deep dish. I can’t decide what to do about deep dish so for now I’ll remain inactive. No goldbelly for now.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 8:35 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by teddybear99
(Emphasis mine.) As someone who grew up on NY pizza and has lived in Chicago for 30+ years, I strongly disagree.

First, Chicago has deep dish, stuffed and tavern style pizza. Two of those are cooked in pans, and NY style never is. And tavern is cut into squares while NY style is cut in wedges. Don't even get me started on the crusts...

My dinner tonight: NY strip steak with Montreal steak spices and horseradish sauce, WF's avocado ranch bagged salad.
corky likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by gaobest

I was shocked to learn that Lou Malnati was the Uno’s founder. I learned this years after going to THE UNO’S and discovering their tight tables and benches. I had been going to the UNO’s in SF for ages before hitting Uno’s Mecca.
I don't think that's quite correct. Lou's father, Rudy worked at Pizzeria Uno in the '40s and legend has it he had a hand in the creation of the deep dish pizza, however, he wasn't the founder of Uno's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.