Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by gaobest
oooh lovely scotch fillet (aka Rib eye in USA) - what did you drink with it?
Funnily enough it's called ribeye in Australia only when it's on the bone otherwise it's scotch fillet.

Just a few beers. Nothing to big, it was a school night.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:42 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
corky has been telling me about this thread, and since I like to both eat and cook decided to chime in. Let me know if I'm doing this wrong.

Tonight's dinner:
  • 100% homegrown salad (minus the dressing): Green and red lettuces, mint, basil, tomato and cucumber, plus poppyseed dressing. The first completely homegrown salad I've done this year.
  • Halibut veracruz: We subscribed to Sitka Salmonshares (an Alaskan seafood "CSA" where we're buying directly from a collective of fishmen/women) and halibut was our first delivery. I've never been a huge halibut fan because I often find it to be dry, but this batch was great. Next week we get black bass, pacific cod and lingcod, then we'll have 3 months of various varieties of salmon before some non-salmon and shellfish.
  • Margaritas: Because we had some already batched. Now I realized why I got drunk on them last time. They pack a punch!
corky, bensyd, gaobest and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Cooked those ribeyes last night for dinner. They were so bad. Very disappointing. My butcher usually gets quality but these were fatty and tough. Not sure what happened!
Old Jul 23, 2020, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

romaine with chinese chicken salad dressing
Grimaldi's pizza with prosciutto and kalamata olives as toppings
Peroni beer
Old Jul 24, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Meatball sandwiches on brioche buns - drowned in pizza sauce and mozzarella

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
  • Halibut veracruz: We subscribed to Sitka Salmonshares (an Alaskan seafood "CSA" where we're buying directly from a collective of fishmen/women) and halibut was our first delivery. I've never been a huge halibut fan because I often find it to be dry, but this batch was great. Next week we get black bass, pacific cod and lingcod, then we'll have 3 months of various varieties of salmon before some non-salmon and shellfish
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the quality and affordability as you receive more on the list. We eat fish about twice a week, but of course are limited to Chicagoland grocery stores, unless we splurge at one of the fish markets. Have found some good quality and prices at the Fresh Farms grocery stores, but I think we'd be interested in something like this CSA.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Outdoor poker play date last night. Brrrr
“indian” pizza - super ace. One chicken; one cauliflower. There’s a lot of great indian pizza in our area. alas no cauliflower pizza because I know 2 of the guys are vegetarian and I didn’t want to “take” away from their sole choice.
some shrubby garden cocktail - very ace.
chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips

i drank a ton of water after returning home. I’m just too unable to ask about using a friend’s bathroom right now.

Originally Posted by bensyd
Cooked those ribeyes last night for dinner. They were so bad. Very disappointing. My butcher usually gets quality but these were fatty and tough. Not sure what happened!
ugh total bummer. Sorry to hear this, esp after you had those nice scotch fillets.

Originally Posted by JBord
Meatball sandwiches on brioche buns - drowned in pizza sauce and mozzarella
I'd love to hear your thoughts on the quality and affordability as you receive more on the list. We eat fish about twice a week, but of course are limited to Chicagoland grocery stores, unless we splurge at one of the fish markets. Have found some good quality and prices at the Fresh Farms grocery stores, but I think we'd be interested in something like this CSA.
Meatball sandwiches sound so nice!

does your semi-weekly fish include smoked fishes? Yummy.
does Mariano’s or sunset foods have nice fish?
Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by corky
romaine with chinese chicken salad dressing
Grimaldi's pizza with prosciutto and kalamata olives as toppings
Peroni beer
I love Grimaldi’s! My favourite pizza ever, and that is saying a lot considering I lived in Italy. I had no idea they had other locations. I have only been to the one in Brooklyn. Is it as good as the Brooklyn Grimaldi’s? I may need to make a trip to LA.
corky likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

Meatball sandwiches sound so nice!

does your semi-weekly fish include smoked fishes? Yummy.
does Mariano’s or sunset foods have nice fish?
Any smoked fish is in addition to the other 2 times. We are meeting friends next week who are bringing some smoked trout that they caught, and looking forward to it. Some day, I'll get that smoker I've been talking about for years and will try smoking my own too.

Mariano's has an OK selection, sometimes better than others. It's gone downhill a little though. I haven't been to Sunset. Best fish place we've found is Fresh Farms. Huge selection, lots of whole fish included. Since you occasionally visit Highland Park, I think the closest store is probably in Niles, not too far south on I-94.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I’m in HP, I only shop at Sunset Foods although there are also plenty of WF in that area. I also mostly / only eat at restaurants and carryout. And as one can imagine, I eat seafood in sf and really not in Chicagoland :-)
Old Jul 24, 2020, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by JBord
The halibut was awesome. We're on the premium plan, which is $129 a month and includes 4-4.5 pounds of fish. Each piece was about 10-12 oz and individual vacuum sealed. Give me a nudge if I forget to update you. And if you do decide you're interested, let me know because I think I have a discount code.

When I’m in HP, I only shop at Sunset Foods although there are also plenty of WF in that area. I also mostly / only eat at restaurants and carryout. And as one can imagine, I eat seafood in sf and really not in Chicagoland :-)
Think twice next time. About 100 million pounds of fish are caught commercially in the Great Lakes each year. About 3 million pounds of fish are caught commercially in the SF area. My guess is that a lot of that is sold to local restaurants, and much of what San Franciscans buy in retail stores -- particularly at large chains -- was not caught locally.
JBord likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
I love Grimaldi’s! My favourite pizza ever, and that is saying a lot considering I lived in Italy. I had no idea they had other locations. I have only been to the one in Brooklyn. Is it as good as the Brooklyn Grimaldi’s? I may need to make a trip to LA.
It is not my favorite although very good. Funny thing is that I had it Wednesday night at a friend's. Then last night I wanted to use my free pizza birthday coupon before it expired so I got a pie and ate some, had it for breakfast and will be finishing it for dinner. The prosciutto was super salty and I love salt but this was too much for me. I think it is ok pizza but it doesn't have that foldability that I like in my NY pizzas and it doesn't ooze cheese like I want my NY pizzas to do---I like a little cheese grease dripping down my arm. I have not had the Brooklyn one...in NY I usually go to Ray's.
Actually if you are doing a layover in LA to or from Hawaii, it is not at all far from the airport.
https://www.grimaldispizzeria.com/locations/
Finkface likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thai carryout for supper - big platter of assorted Thai dishes
blue rice
pad thai
shrimp fried rice
beef rib
eggplant / bell pepper
fried spring rolls

Tom yum soup

ice cream desserts:
robbins peanut butter chocolate & Robbins rocky road on waffle cone
Biscoff chocolate brownie & Haagen daaz strawberry on waffle cone
Haagen daaz chocolate
Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Think twice next time. About 100 million pounds of fish are caught commercially in the Great Lakes each year. About 3 million pounds of fish are caught commercially in the SF area. My guess is that a lot of that is sold to local restaurants, and much of what San Franciscans buy in retail stores -- particularly at large chains -- was not caught locally.
Definitely little or no non-farmed freshwater fish being sold out here. I miss the little sliders my folks would make with fried lake perch.

There is great local fish to be had, like sand dabs, albacore, and all sorts of rock fish, but it's not at the local Safeway. We live a couple of miles from the docks, where you can buy off the boats. Other than that, I think it's limited to the specialty markets.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oops sorry for my bad wording.
In Chicagoland I prefer (jewish) deli, Israeli, “Vienna beef” / similar dogs, and deep dish. I agree that lake fish and white fish are Amazing! I just prefer these other things that I can’t get in San Francisco. We will never have lou malnattis no matter how many places try to make a great deep dish :-)
thankfully casual Mexican food in Chicagoland is really great and just as great as what I get at home :-) mind you I only go to one Mexican place in Chicagoland and it’s enough :-)
Old Jul 25, 2020, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Crackers and cheese.
corky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.