Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's for dinner? -- 2022 onwards

What's for dinner? -- 2022 onwards

Old Sep 27, 2022, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I wouldn't say it's unheard of, but not common, that's for sure. Personally, as much as I like butter, it's a tad too far for me. Same with crab or lobster. I don't mind a little au jus on the side.
I suppose, it's just one of those habits from my early childhood that has remained with me throughout adulthood, e.g., dipping McDonald's fries into my sundae, butter and sugar in baked potatoes, peanut butter & Nutella.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
I suspect dipping steak in butter is a pretty unusual, and dare I say eccentric, culinary practice. I don't ever recall ever having seen anyone else do it or anyone who just wasn't stunned when they see me engage in it.

A little OT - when I was a kid, I kept complaining that my steak didn't have enough flavor or fat; my grandma got so tired of my whining, she just placed a cup of melted butter, told me to dip my steak in it and be quiet (she actually used "shut-up, if I recall).
It is...I didn't do a dip but I know a lot of restaurants do put a pat of butter on a steak. I also like making a blue cheese or herb butter and letting it melt on top. Dipping in butter is way too extravagant for me.

I suppose, it's just one of those habits from my early childhood that has remained with me throughout adulthood, e.g., dipping McDonald's fries into my sundae, butter and sugar in baked potatoes, peanut butter & Nutella.
You had a weird childhood.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by corky
You had a weird childhood.
One person I know... Slice of bread... Butter it, then sprinkle sugar on it. Heard of others doing it, but up to that point, never knew anyone who did it...
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One person I know... Slice of bread... Butter it, then sprinkle sugar on it. Heard of others doing it, but up to that point, never knew anyone who did it...
That isn't unusual. Dipping fries into a sundae is weird IMO.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:27 pm

Really? I've seen the fries with ice cream in one form or another all over the internet. I haven't tried it myself as I usually don't have the two within reach of each other... But is out there. Maybe next time I pass a mcd I'll grab some and try it.

Now if you had said onion rings and ice cream....then it'd be awkward.
corky likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:31 pm

I can't recall ever having seen anyone else do it. Even now, at McD's, I'll order a 1/4 pounder with cheese, fries and chocolate sundae, and, well, you know where my fries go--in the burger and dipped into my sundae. I should have that for dinner, actually.

Now if you had said onion rings and ice cream....then it'd be awkward.
Ketchup all the way on this one! Not even mayo, when it comes onion rings.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I've dipped fries into a frosty from Wendy's.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 7:21 pm

Ketchup all the way on this one! Not even mayo, when it comes onion rings.
For me, it depends on the breading. If it's something like BK or Harvey's (Canadian chain) then I'd go ketchup. But if it's dusted (not breaded) then I'm good plain or sometimes tartar sauce. When I order fish and chips, I often try to get the fries replaced with onion rings or a salad and if they give me rings, I ask for tartar sauce. Not sure if it's any healthier, but I can always pretend.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I picked up a Greek salad, salami, provolone, a baguette, a dark chocolate bar, and a decent bottle of Shiraz at Trader Joe's for dinner tonight.

I tell myself it's the chocolate that will give me the headache tomorrow morning
corky likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
That was my Mom's solution when I was very young and wanted desert when there wasn't any. I cringe now...
Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:11 am

For me, it depends on the breading. If it's something like BK or Harvey's (Canadian chain) then I'd go ketchup. But if it's dusted (not breaded) then I'm good plain or sometimes tartar sauce. When I order fish and chips, I often try to get the fries replaced with onion rings or a salad and if they give me rings, I ask for tartar sauce. Not sure if it's any healthier, but I can always pretend.
Interesting. I've never tried onion rings with tartar sauce, but will do so next time.

Originally Posted by braslvr
That was my Mom's solution when I was very young and wanted desert when there wasn't any. I cringe now...
The trick is to have the sugar sprinkled over heated or warm butter where it'll melt into it. I've had that with toast and find it very good, and better than just plain butter anyway. Plain toast, I won't even eat. Full stop.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:25 am

Interesting. I've never tried onion rings with tartar sauce, but will do so next time.
I'm often willing to try different/new condiments for various snacks. I suspect at one point, I will get tired of it and move onto the next sauce.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by braslvr
When I was a child, that was my mother's idea of a snack for us. It was never dessert, however, and we always had dessert (in the evening, not lunch). I was lucky enough to have a mother who baked.
braslvr likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Otoro, SF
before Working Men’s Club concert

agadashi tofu
eggplant

assd sushi rolls

Old Sep 29, 2022, 10:19 pm

Mutton kothu rotti

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.