Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's for dinner? -- 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2022, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I haven’t had that experience. I can still pick the slices up.

One of my all-time favorite taste treats. Butterfish from Roy’s. It looks burnt in the photo, but it was perfection. Sadly, the last Roy's in AZ is closing early next year and there will be only three left on the mainland, two in CA, one in FL, after there once having been 20. All the more reason to go to HI, I guess.
I was just talking to a friend about Roys 2 days ago. She said the one out here is in Anaheim which is stupid. I would much rather go to Hawaii than Anaheim.
phillygold likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 11:35 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Home made lump crabcakes, remoulade sauce, salad greens with home grown tomatoes and peppers and good wine. All cooked by my first born son, who worked for many years as a chef. His plating is always beautiful and his food always delicious. Great evening
corky, FlyerEC and TWA884 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 1:41 am

Dad had a craving for dim sum so...

Siu mai
Pork cheong fun (new style, not the old school rolls)
Tofu skin rolls
Pork ribs in black bean sauce
Stir fried rice vermicelli

​​​​
FlyerEC and Visconti like this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Pork cheong fun (new style, not the old school rolls)​​​​
You mean, the ones with the miniature little cheong fun rolls? Even now, I'm still partial to the old school ones, and really love them with extra soy sauce. I love the shrimp and beef ones.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
You mean, the ones with the miniature little cheong fun rolls? Even now, I'm still partial to the old school ones, and really love them with extra soy sauce. I love the shrimp and beef ones.
Haven't seen those. We had what I call the lazy method... Pour the slurry onto a flat surface, let it set and just push it (kinda like babies kicking off a blanket) and sprinkle chunks of pork and green onions on top. This instead of the more traditional pour the slurry, place pieces on after it sets and then rolling like a sushi roll. Chop into 2-3 pieces and present.

I like the plain miniature ones with the various sauces as well as the regular filled ones as well. Shrimp, liver, pork, yu-tiao and lo-han-chai for me.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by corky
I was just talking to a friend about Roys 2 days ago. She said the one out here is in Anaheim which is stupid. I would much rather go to Hawaii than Anaheim.
Really? There is no Disneyland in Hawaii.
corky likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Wouldn’t we all! I remember going to Roy’s 33 years ago while on vacation in Maui. In fact, I fell in love with the butterfish. Shortly thereafter, I went to the Roy’s in NY. It just wasn’t the same. That species must be native to Hawaii. I don’t recall seeing it on another menu.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by phillygold
Wouldn’t we all! I remember going to Roy’s 33 years ago while on vacation in Maui. In fact, I fell in love with the butterfish. Shortly thereafter, I went to the Roy’s in NY. It just wasn’t the same. That species must be native to Hawaii. I don’t recall seeing it on another menu.
This was my first trip to Roy’s in AZ. It was the same as I remembered it in HI - well, different rice and veggies alongside. I recall Roy’s Poipu had served it with black rice. Sadly, the new Roy’s on Kaua’i (Eating House 1849) doesn’t have it other than in the Kamameshi (hot pot bowl) - much less fish, but still tasty. So, this in AZ was a real treat. Super expensive, however. $52!

BTW, it’s supposedly Alaskan black cod.
corky likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
We eat at Roy’s in Sf. We don’t go to Roy’s in Hawaii - we go to other chains that aren’t in Sf such as duke’s & their crew, merriman’s, and monkey pod. Plus one night at Morimoto’s which is also not in Sf.

i love Roy’s. I just try to eat at places that don’t have an outpost 2 miles from home.

I also love Disneyland sooooooo much.

tonight we will enjoy bagels and smoked fishes.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:56 pm

Falafel plate with greek village salad, no potatoes or rice. Also had some smoked salmon and a block of fresh tofu with homemade ginger/scallion sauce...

How's that for completely random?
corky likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Filet mignon is usually my least favorite cut of steak because it can be a little bland. Somehow a package of filets caught my eye today at Costco so I thought what the heck. I grilled one tonight---perfectly medium rare and it was absolutely delicious in addition to being like " buttah". I topped it with balsamic grilled onions.
Visconti likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 5:58 am

Filet mignon is usually my least favorite cut of steak because it can be a little bland. Somehow a package of filets caught my eye today at Costco so I thought what the heck. I grilled one tonight---perfectly medium rare and it was absolutely delicious in addition to being like " buttah". I topped it with balsamic grilled onions.
As with lobster, I like to have my filets dipped in some melted butter, preferably of the garlic variety.
corky likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As with lobster, I like to have my filets dipped in some melted butter, preferably of the garlic variety.
I did put a little pat of butter on top to melt when I took it off the grill.
For sure lobster and crab legs get yummy melted garlic butter.
cblaisd and Visconti like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:27 am

I did put a little pat of butter on top to melt when I took it off the grill.
For sure lobster and crab legs get yummy melted garlic butter.
I suspect dipping steak in butter is a pretty unusual, and dare I say eccentric, culinary practice. I don't ever recall ever having seen anyone else do it or anyone who just wasn't stunned when they see me engage in it.

A little OT - when I was a kid, I kept complaining that my steak didn't have enough flavor or fat; my grandma got so tired of my whining, she just placed a cup of melted butter, told me to dip my steak in it and be quiet (she actually used "shut-up, if I recall).
corky likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 11:00 am

I suspect dipping steak in butter is a pretty unusual, and dare I say eccentric, culinary practice. I don't ever recall ever having seen anyone else do it or anyone who just wasn't stunned when they see me engage in it.
I wouldn't say it's unheard of, but not common, that's for sure. Personally, as much as I like butter, it's a tad too far for me. Same with crab or lobster. I don't mind a little au jus on the side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.