Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Very happy with my award recently booked. For the wife and me.

DTW-LAX, F
LAX-SYD on VA, C

SYD-Brisbane, ?, I assume F.
Brisbane- LAX, VA C

LAX-DTW, Y

Found everything using OW searches DTW-LAX and LAX-SYD.

A ton of availability on KE, with up to 23 hour stopovers in Seoul.

Booked everything but the LAX-DTW return on line and placed it on hold.

Called internet support and had the last LAX-DTW added on in Y. Got 2 exit row by themselves on a 767.

Total per person was 150,000 and $149. Seeing as how fuel surcharges were $800 on VA until June, I'm extra excited.

I used 2 calendars with November and December for both outbound and return overwater availability. Then, I found the overwater that matched the amount of time I wanted to be in Austrailia.

Probably 2 hours total time. OW search is a must per segment if anyone is trying to duplicate this. If you can't get this to work, PM or ask questions here. Leaving on a Wed and coming back Tues helped low domestic availabilty, IMHO.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:21 pm

Just put this on hold for 60k in economy:

JFK-MXP-SVO(destination)-open jaw-LED-CDG-JFK

The dates are 12/29-1/9.

The exercise was to avoid SU because of YQ, so this comes out to a total of $95 taxes/fees.

My problem now is that I'm trying to tack on a flight JFK-MSY on the return leg with a stopover in NY of ~2 months, I want to fly 3/18. This shows up as low availability direct on DL640 on delta.com, but the agent I talked to says the whole thing prices out at 85,000 with that extra leg.

I thought Delta rules allow a free one way even though I have the open jaw? Can't I have a stopover on the way back?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by drbobguy
Just put this on hold for 60k in economy:

The dates are 12/29-1/9.

The exercise was to avoid SU because of YQ, so this comes out to a total of $95 taxes/fees.

My problem now is that I'm trying to tack on a flight JFK-MSY on the return leg with a stopover in NY of ~2 months, I want to fly 3/18. This shows up as low availability direct on DL640 on delta.com, but the agent I talked to says the whole thing prices out at 85,000 with that extra leg.

I thought Delta rules allow a free one way even though I have the open jaw? Can't I have a stopover on the way back?
You get one open jaw and one stopover. You already have an open jaw in Russia, so you can't have another one in the US.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by drbobguy

An open jaw from JFK means returning to JFK. Delta award rules do not permit a 'double open jaw'.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
An open jaw from JFK means returning to JFK. Delta award rules do not permit a 'double open jaw'.
Thanks, I know United allows this, wasn't aware Delta didn't.

EDIT: Still have a question but I'll post in the routing thread.

Last edited by drbobguy; Oct 24, 2012 at 9:52 pm
Old Oct 25, 2012, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Did they show up on delta.com?
Yes, but it was very quirky. It took persistence to book it.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum
I'm trying to schedule two low one way tickets that are a month apart creating an open jaw. They price out as a low round trip, however I will probably have some paid round trips from my "Destination" during that month. Will this cause any problems?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mr_burdell
Will this cause any problems?
No.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
I'm amazed at how easy the following booking was:

TUL-SLC-LAX-BNE-ZQN (DL-Y/DL-Y/VA-J/DJ-J)
CHC-MEL (DJ-J)
MEL-LAX-SLC-TUL (VA-J/DL-Y/DL-Y)

150,000 miles / person

I held LAX-BNE // MEL-LAX online and then called in to add the other legs. On my first call, I was able to add the US domestic legs without an issue, but the agent (CVG based) didn't sound like he was familiar with how to book the NZ portions (when I said, "I'd like to add legs from AUS-NZ" before I stated destinations he said "that's not available." Haha!). So I went ahead and ticketed the trip at $134 / person in taxes. Total of a 4 minute call. I immediately called back and reached another agent (HIB based), explained what I wanted with flight numbers, and was put on hold. After maybe 2 minutes she came back and said that those flights were available & booked, mileage would be the same, and that the new taxes were $82 / person... Cool ! Another 4-5 minute call. Less than 10 minutes all in and all low miles without any fuel surcharges. Life is good! ^^^

Also, I can finally say that I've had a great experience with a HIBRES agent! Just today in another thread I mentioned my terrible HIBRES luck, well it looks like it's finally turned around!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 5:18 am

I just booked MNL-SFO-MNL for 95,000 miles + $50 for taxes!

MNL - SFO Business Class
SFO - MNL KE.X

Great deal!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by EssentialGaL
I just booked MNL-SFO-MNL for 95,000 miles + $50 for taxes!

MNL - SFO Business Class
SFO - MNL KE.X

Great deal!
What carrier(s) for MNL-SFO? I notice the lack of "foreign origination surcharge".
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
Just got 3 for 80k each:

BOS-AMS-BUD (J)
BUD-AMS-JFK (Y)

BUD is a big pain to get out of on ST. Connection times are very poor for many MSP, DTW and JFK flights.

We were trying to get in/out of BDL, but DL nixed the 7pm DTW-BDL, and got rid of all JFK connections.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by michael_v
What carrier(s) for MNL-SFO? I notice the lack of "foreign origination surcharge".
There has never been an IOS on ex-Asia itineraries, it was just ex-Europe. It now appears to be just ex-Europe/Middle East if travel is via AF/KL (and maybe AZ).
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v

MNL - NRT DL 172 747-400
NRT - SFO DL 618 767-300ER

Do you think its a steal? This is my first time to book an award ticket.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
Super excited!! i booked my first international business class award ticket.

IAD-AMS-NBO A330, 747
ADD-AMS-IAD A330, A330

120k miles.....How did I do??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.