Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:28 am

Just booked 4 coach seats to JFK-FCO and VCE-JFK on Alitalia in August 2013for 60K each. I am very happy to get all 4 seats together since it is for a family with younger children.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: DL PM, FB PM, Gamer/Trickster.
120k each on CZ/DL, in business intl / domestic first. a380 lie-flats from LAX-CAN .

12/30:
MSP-LAX-CAN-SGN

1/18:
SGN-CAN-LAX-SFO-MSP

It took about 1.5 hours on the phone with a very nice Gold line representative. She asked me for the possible date range that would work, and then had to "go into CZ's system, to see if the seats were actually unavailable", whatever that means.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:48 am

CVG to BRU in J

CVG to BRU RT in BE for 150K miles and $58 in fees for travel in May, 2013
Old Oct 9, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL - Silver, AA - EXP, Marriott - Platinum Premier
I realize that posting this might not be really a "success" story since redeeming miles at the low price on AS is significantly easier than on DL, but I was definitely ecstatic about getting my in-laws their dream Alaska vacation.

PHL-SEA-FAI in F
ANC-SEA(stopover)-PHL in Y

70k total (35k each) plus $20 in fees.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by csdripps
I realize that posting this might not be really a "success" story since redeeming miles at the low price on AS is significantly easier than on DL, but I was definitely ecstatic about getting my in-laws their dream Alaska vacation.

PHL-SEA-FAI in F
ANC-SEA(stopover)-PHL in Y

70k total (35k each) plus $20 in fees.
AS has a PHL-SEA?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by javabytes
AS has a PHL-SEA?
Announced in February.

http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsr...207_045122.asp
Old Oct 9, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
VA for LAX-BNE

I got this for wife and me around first week of Sept 2013:

SAN-LAX-BNE-LAX-SAN for 150k miles + $142 tax each

Over water is in VA biz class. The last LAX-SAN segment is a 30 hour stopover at LAX, but I figure I can change it later or just beg a gate agent to let us on an earlier flight.

I noticed around that time (almost 330 days out) LAX-BNE and LAX-SYD look wide open. Can add domestic flights on DJ if available, but I didn't need it for this trip.

I also asked Delta about LAX-ICN on Korean, but availability in biz class was more spotty -- no first choice days and only one seat in biz per flight.

For awards, I just let Delta's availability gods decided for me where I shall go.
The gods said "Australia".
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by flargley
120k each on CZ/DL, in business intl / domestic first. a380 lie-flats from LAX-CAN .

12/30:
MSP-LAX-CAN-SGN

1/18:
SGN-CAN-LAX-SFO-MSP

It took about 1.5 hours on the phone with a very nice Gold line representative. She asked me for the possible date range that would work, and then had to "go into CZ's system, to see if the seats were actually unavailable", whatever that means.
What were the taxes/fees? I'm curious if YQ still being collected...(more like hoping it will stop being collected soon...I can only hope)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by roknroll
... last week there were 4 seats in J on the DTW-LHR route (plus many others in June/July), as well as low inventory to get us to DTW. Plenty of space for us on AF in J returning through CDG/LAX.

Of course when I got the miles together this week, DTW-LHR along with all the other routes had dropped to 3 seats in J at low miles . What I ended up with was:
3 seats: SFO-(DL/F)-MSP-(DL/F)-DTW(DL/J)-LHR
1 seats: SFO-(DL/F)-MSP-(DL/F)-DTW(DL/Y)-LHR

3 seats: DUB-(AF/J)-CDG-(AF/J)-LAX-(DL/Y)-SFO
1 seats: DUB-(AF/J)-CDG-(AF/J)-LAX-(DL/F)-SFO
We'll have 8 nights there, probably doing 4 in each city, taking the train/ferry from London to Dublin.

I'm really hoping that 1 more seat opens up on DTW-LHR in low J, but I'm not holding my breath. I may just book the 200k medium J to make sure we are all together rather than chance the medium going away and never seeing a low. It only adds 50k miles to a 400k trip, so I guess I'm okay with averaging 112k miles per person for round trip in business.
This is getting frustrating, but I think over time it will end up working itself out to a successful outcome. It is sad that it takes this much work and finessing the system to get 4 tickets in business.

First, I found 4 seats in J for low miles to get us to London and back from Dublin. Over the weekend while I made some moves to get all the miles, DL reduced inventory to 3 seats at low. And it wasn't due to someone booking a single seat, there were 20+ days with 4 seats available in J at low, and every single one changed to 3 seats over the weekend.

Rather than hope for a low seat to open, I figured I'd just book one seat at medium with the other 3 at low and take the 50k skymiles hit. Now while I waited to build up 50k more miles (made it 2 weeks ago), DL removed the mid-tier J seat that I was planning on changing my wife to. It's now at high miles . I literally checked it multiple times per week for a month and there was always a seat available at medium.

Twice now DL rev management has made changes to inventory JUST before I had the miles in my account to book. Now once again it's time to play the waiting/watching game in hopes of a change.

In more positive news, I was able to improve the return with more direct routing. Now we go DUB-CDG-SFO instead having to route through LAX. One less stop and we get to avoid the mess that is LAX.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta GM; Fly Clear; Amex Reserve
Just joined this forum so I thought I'd share a good awards redemption using Delta Skymiles during summer 2010.

100,000 miles each pax:
MCO-JFK-CDG (DL to JFK and Air France A380 to CDG ) Business class

CDG-Athens Air France Business class

Athens-ATL-MCO Delta Business class

Only fee was the $120 or so each for taxes.

It was a sweet trip and this was all during prime weather period of mid June. Was great to use all the Int'l first class lounges and the ones with Air France. A380 was so cool...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wpxstar
Just joined this forum so I thought I'd share a good awards redemption using Delta Skymiles during summer 2010.

100,000 miles each pax:
MCO-JFK-CDG (DL to JFK and Air France A380 to CDG ) Business class

CDG-Athens Air France Business class

Athens-ATL-MCO Delta Business class

Only fee was the $120 or so each for taxes.

It was a sweet trip and this was all during prime weather period of mid June. Was great to use all the Int'l first class lounges and the ones with Air France. A380 was so cool...
Well Done! ^ Oh and welcome to Flyertalk, I hope to see many more posts from you.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: WoH Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Business Class award

I just saw this thread! I redeemed this award back for april - may (april 6th and returning may 1st.

100,000 skymiles for:

IAD - LHR (layover in CDG) and the return trip was FRA - IAD also with a layover on CDG.

Business class on Air France. This was my first award redemption. I read a lot about how the miles are not really worth the effort but this trip just made my dreams come true and I only had to pay $140 for redeeming the trip. Otherwise the trip would have cost over $5000 with the different airports and all x_x.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta GM; Fly Clear; Amex Reserve
Originally Posted by CMK10
Well Done! ^ Oh and welcome to Flyertalk, I hope to see many more posts from you.
Thank you!

One more good redemption I just booked last week with DL miles...

25,000 each pax (coach)

MCO-Vail, Co via ATL rountrip in late January 2013.

This ticket starts at $560 or so and only gets higher so for 25k miles, it thought it was a good deal.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
I just booked a flight from London to Korea and Japan, for February 2013.

120,000 miles, all on KE
$323.60 in taxes/fees ($259.60 was UK Air Duty)

LGW-ICN
ICN-NRT
NRT-ICN-LGW

That was my first experience with Chisholm, and now I'm hooked!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton, HI
Jun 2013 in J on DL for two

ATL-VCE (DL metal)
BCN-CDG-ATL (AF metal) overnight in Paris for dinner and strolling along the Seine

100K miles, $98.50 (taxes/fees) each
40K HH points/night for Hilton in VCE and BCN
25K PR points/night for HI in Paris
If only I have points to use for the 12-day VCE-BCN cruise, then this would have been the ultimate award trip for me.
This is what keeps me sane with all these biz travel and going thru airport security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.