Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Ok this on is a bit left-field but one I consider a success. 60k miles for one week rental of a Suburban in SLC in January. Best cash rate I could find was $1258 all in making this a > 2cpm redemption. This is actually on top of scoring 4 25k level coach tickets roundtrip from RDU to SLC. 160k miles for family of four to go to SLC and hire a car big enough to lug us and all the ski gear works for me
Are you renting through Hertz? Hope you were able to use this somehow. Still, 60k miles for a Suburban, in January, at SLC, is a very good deal ^

-J.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Are you renting through Hertz? Hope you were able to use this somehow. Still, 60k miles for a Suburban, in January, at SLC, is a very good deal ^

-J.
Through Alamo. Yep i am very happy with this deal
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Getting HKG-SGN-NRT on VN should not be a problem. You can use the Wandering Aramean tools to check their award inventory.
Thanks for the hint! Wandering Aramean seems like a great tool for searching award availability. I used the Wandering Aramean tool and it showed plenty of availability on 6/12 HKG->SGN (4 flights x J=4) and 6/16 SGN->NRT (2 flights x J=4). Called the Platinum desk, she saw the same tickets, same availability. But was unable to book!!!!

Are there limitations/restrictions with Delta (or Skyteam partners) booking awards on Vietnam Air. Why would Wandering Aramean/Vietnam Air show availability but PM desk can't book?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL SM, AA, BA, WN, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
Scored 2 F/J awards Norfolk to Australia 150K each.

8/31/13 ORF-ATL-MSP-LAX-BNE (last leg on VA)
9/14/13 MEL-LAX (on VA)
9/16/13 LAX-DTW-ORF

Lots of VA availability. The hard find was the domestic legs.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Selendia
Thanks for the hint! Wandering Aramean seems like a great tool for searching award availability. I used the Wandering Aramean tool and it showed plenty of availability on 6/12 HKG->SGN (4 flights x J=4) and 6/16 SGN->NRT (2 flights x J=4). Called the Platinum desk, she saw the same tickets, same availability. But was unable to book!!!!

Are there limitations/restrictions with Delta (or Skyteam partners) booking awards on Vietnam Air. Why would Wandering Aramean/Vietnam Air show availability but PM desk can't book?
I've not booked VN before, but all the reports I recall reading indicate that it's bookable if WA shows it. I'd try again, as maybe the agent didn't quite know how to complete the booking.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Booked DTW-SLC-LAX-MEL-CHC (Christchurch, NZ), with a return of ZQN(Queenstown, NZ)-SYD(stopover)-LAX-MSP-DTW, all in F and C (including the tougher to find domestic segments) for 150K and $156 in tax PP for myself and the wife for 2 1/2 weeks out.

Total time invested in education about finding VA metal to NZ, finding over the water segments (easy), and DTW-LAX and back, about 10 hours.

Had to cancel my originally booked ticket for $150 PP, as I learned I could get to NZ from the friendly people on this board after I already booked to Australia.

Cancellation fee well worth it, as the RT tickets to NZ were pricing between $1100 and $1300, for the two of us.

If you don't have free cancellation, use the hold feature time to tweek your itinerary over 2 days. Remind the agent to move the hold time back to what was originally promised, otherwise the hold time is 12 hours from their change.

Mine was cancelled, but was able to be reconstructed, which shocked me.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: A few
@Bikeguy that is a great use of Delta points. Nice one ^
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
@Bikeguy: That was beautiful, everything. Except the 10 hours part
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
@Bikeguy: That was beautiful, everything. Except the 10 hours part
I view the 10 hours as an education that will pay itself forward. I will be happy to explain to friends and family in detail how to complete their search in under 2 hours, which I believe to be great. It was partly the learning how to find which days VA flies from each major AU city to which cities in NZ (use VA timetable, which shows direct flights, look for flights with 2 or 3 numbers, if 4 numbers, it is a NZ codeshare).

There are 3 cities on the north island and 3 cities on the south island that VA flies to.

Then, the majority of time was the Rubiks cube searching of finding all the pieces that would go together. I was hoping to either get to or get back from NZ, but not both.

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
@Bikeguy that is a great use of Delta points. Nice one
Thanks.

So, this award booking exceeded expectations, which is something I've never heard anyone say about a Delta award booking EVER!

And I do want to thank the attendees and presenters at the Chicago DO for inspiring me to book this. I was originally planning on going to Florida before the DO. Boy, was my wife surprised when I told her we weren't going to Florida anymore.

Last edited by Bikeguy; Nov 19, 2012 at 10:33 am
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
I'm glad to hear everything worked out! Let us know how the trip goes!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Yeah, man. Sounds like a great trip. The 10 hrs invested is IMHO time well spent learning the ins and outs of the DL award booking system. It took about the same about of time for me to put together a similar trip a few years back and I learned a great deal along the way.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL SM
I was able to book an economy ticket for my fiancee on Aeroflot KBP - SVO - IST. Was suprised that the redemption was at the 25k level.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:16 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I am so busy with my darn blog I have not had time to get more credit cards!

Last edited by gpapadop; Nov 20, 2012 at 8:12 pm
Old Nov 20, 2012, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by notyouravgjt
I was able to book an economy ticket for my fiancee on Aeroflot KBP - SVO - IST. Was suprised that the redemption was at the 25k level.
I'm surprised too. Nice redemption.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Diamond
Did my first reward booking in July for a trip I took last week. ATL-SLC-LAX-SYD all first F and BE on the way out, and then SYD-LAX-ATL all BE the way back. 195k Miles. I think it was decent minus the extra stop in SLC on the way out there. Really easy to book too, got all on the dates I wanted first try. I guess every once in a while you get lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.