Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dude
120k + $187.30 for two people in May booked online.

LAX-BNE-MEL VA J
SYD-DPS VA J
DPS-SIN-ICN-LAX KL J & KE J

ICN-LAX only had one seat available in J per flight so we're on different flights on the last segment.

I tried to add low level LAS-LAX & LAX-LAS, the online engine would spit a higher amount for miles. I called 3x to price it out. The agents would quote more than 120k miles so I gave up and booked on DL.com instead.

When GA joins SkyTeam, I plan to change the SYD-DPS segment to GA instead of VA as the GA 330 seats are lie flat as opposed to VA's recliner seats on their 737. I'll attempt to add the LAS segments then as well.
Nicely done!

I am surprised the website let you price this out with an Open Jaw in the middle and other obvious. May be having DPS after the OJ, makes it a SE Asia instead of Australia. That is a long connecting flights home though.
Is only the DPS-SIN segment on KL?

How do we find out KE's blackout dates?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Nicely done!

I am surprised the website let you price this out with an Open Jaw in the middle and other obvious. May be having DPS after the OJ, makes it a SE Asia instead of Australia. That is a long connecting flights home though.

There's a link here in the section about blackout dates: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:29 am

Nicely done!

BNE/MEL/SYD as a connection city for DPS is a valid routing for DL/VA. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Yes, the only KLM segment is on on the DPS-SIN tag flight. The KL/KE combo is only about five hours longer than taking VA through Australia. Connecting in SIN is only two hours but the ICN connection ranges from 6-11 hours. I actually don't mind as I have a friend in ICN that I plan to visit with while I'm there. Plus I wanted to take KL & the KE 380 on the way home so it all worked out for the most part.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dude
BNE/MEL/SYD as a connection city for DPS is a valid routing for DL/VA. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Yes, the only KLM segment is on on the DPS-SIN tag flight. The KL/KE combo is only about five hours longer than taking VA through Australia. Connecting in SIN is only two hours but the ICN connection ranges from 6-11 hours. I actually don't mind as I have a friend in ICN that I plan to visit with while I'm there. Plus I wanted to take KL & the KE 380 on the way home so it all worked out for the most part.
Thanks for the explanation. Sweet to only pay 120K to achieve the OZ visit. Friend just sent me an email on their current trip down there, (150K but they also go to NZ).

How do we find out KE's blackout dates? Is there a list somewhere we can check?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:05 am

Thanks for the explanation. Sweet to only pay 120K to achieve the OZ visit. Friend just sent me an email on their current trip down there, (150K but they also go to NZ).

There's a link in my previous post to a set of the threads on blackout dates. The specific ones for 2014 are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-airlines.html
Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:00 am

The Trans-Tasman routes to NZ aren't bookable online. Otherwise I would check if it would work with a DPS itinerary.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:11 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Booked MSP-SFO, SFO-SEA-MSP(stop)-DLH; 25k in coach, for next month, exact dates we wanted.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold   |   Former: DL Diamond, HA Pualani Gold
Yesterday booked two tickets ATL-LHR-BOM-LHR-ATL in J for about 10 days in January.

120k miles each.

ATL-LHR-ATL on Delta
LHR-BOM-LHR on Virgin Atlantic

Phone rep couldn't find it. I found it ONLY through an economy search on the web site, and it was provided as a business option for fewer miles than the economy tickets. (When I searched business, it didn't come up exactly, and similar itineraries were over 200k miles each.)

Booked one directly online easily. Second ticket was hard. After trying to pay cash (and being told Virgin would only sell it as two separate itineraries, with the India portion on Virgin stock, for a total of $7500, compared to $4500 through KLM/AF), I managed to string it together by award booking LHR-BOM-LHR online and then calling Delta to find low ATL-LHR-ATL to attach to it.

Right now, both tickets are the same for ATL-LHR-BOM-LHR. The last hop over the Atlantic is on two separate Delta flights, but I'm hoping the second will become available in low over the next several months to be changed to match the first.

(Biggest surprise was how hard it was to pay cash for one of the tickets, such that they actually lost my money. I think they don't want Delta folks to use LHR as a Europe hub.)
Old Oct 18, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum
3 tickets at 60,000 miles each from Washington Dulles to Rome for end of june beginning of july last summer, and 3 tickets at 30,000 miles each from Boston to the Bahamas for last week of february this year
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:07 pm

Just managed to book the following routing for 2 in January 2014:

DL JFK-LAX
DL LAX-HND
KE HND-ICN-SIN
VN SIN-SGN-HKG
CI HKG-TPE-JFK

Everything except for the JFK-LAX flight are in J. JFK-LAX has no low J available, but it's the beginning of the trip, so we'll be ok. Total cost is 120k miles + $295/person for 240k + $590. Total cost for this trip if booked revenue would be around $12k/person, so I'm rather pleased.

My friend and I are starting out of BOS, so I was looking to get as far east as I could with the 4 segments in each direction. My other big wishes were to fly KE, VN, and CI. We wanted to go to Asia, though we didn't have specific places in mind (though nowhere that required a visa). Used wandr.me for VN availability, and KVS for everything else. Ended up with overnights in LAX, HND, SGN, and TPE. We'll have a place to go at LAX; need to investigate further into HND and SGN. In TPE we have a 20-hour layover, so will probably run into the city and explore a little (assuming we have enough energy).

Much appreciation to all the posters on FT who provided feedback and help!
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:19 pm

Untrue, I've seen ATL-LHR-JNB pricing at low with VS operating LHR-JNB. You should call back and request agents to merge it. Otherwise, try routing through one of the VS gateways - maybe you might have better luck.

VS segment logic doesn't seem to align well with DL's IT, keeps pricing as sep. awards! Most annoying.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Just managed to book the following routing for 2 in January 2014:

DL JFK-LAX
DL LAX-HND
KE HND-ICN-SIN
VN SIN-SGN-HKG
CI HKG-TPE-JFK

Everything except for the JFK-LAX flight are in J. JFK-LAX has no low J available, but it's the beginning of the trip, so we'll be ok. Total cost is 120k miles + $295/person for 240k + $590. Total cost for this trip if booked revenue would be around $12k/person, so I'm rather pleased.

My friend and I are starting out of BOS, so I was looking to get as far east as I could with the 4 segments in each direction. My other big wishes were to fly KE, VN, and CI. We wanted to go to Asia, though we didn't have specific places in mind (though nowhere that required a visa). Used wandr.me for VN availability, and KVS for everything else. Ended up with overnights in LAX, HND, SGN, and TPE. We'll have a place to go at LAX; need to investigate further into HND and SGN. In TPE we have a 20-hour layover, so will probably run into the city and explore a little (assuming we have enough energy).

Much appreciation to all the posters on FT who provided feedback and help!
This looks swell. Congrats. When you're in Singapore, happy to buy you a drink.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:26 pm

I was going to try routing through Europe to get to SGN from N.A, since I wanted to hang out with my oddfellows out in Paris. I gave up trying to price as one award, so I decided to construct this. AND VOILA!

Outbound:

DL LAX-SYD
CZ SYD-CAN-SGN
VN SGN-SIN

Return:

DL SIN-NRT-LAX (But I'm going to shoot for the 787s on AM when I have the time).

120K, and 220 USD in taxes. SO HAPPY NOW.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Yesterday I booked TLV - JFK RT in Business Elite for 120,000 miles in March...looking forward to trying out the Upper Deck.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
San Diego-Maui On Alaska

Seeing some of the recent amazing bookings to asia, I'm almost ashamed to post this very pedestrian Skymiles redemption:

SAN-OGG
OGG-SAN (stop) SAN-SEA

Two people in F on AS flights. 75,000 miles + $7.50 tax

The Alaska availability is plentiful enough that it is easily bookable on Delta.com -- assuming one has already learned its quirks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.