Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Nice! What was the routing?
MCO-DTW-NRT-BKK on the outbound with 2:30 and 1:15 layovers on DTW and NRT (none of those 24 hour layovers unless I want it!).

BKK-NRT-ATL-DAB on the return with 1:30 and 5:10 layovers NRT and ATL.

For in BKK I will eventually be booking BKK-CMB-BKK-HKT and HKT-BKK-RGN-BKK
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PP and LT PL, National Executive Elite
Two domestic at low, 25K

For the wife and I CMH - LGA in September.

Second time this year was able to get low redemption for domestic
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
For in BKK I will eventually be booking BKK-CMB-BKK-HKT and HKT-BKK-RGN-BKK
Not with Delta Skymiles I assume?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:09 am

Cool thread! My favorite DL redemption was this past May:

SAN - SEA // SEA - ANC // ANC-SEA-SAN

All on AS for 25k Skymiles, gotta love that domestic free stopover rule...

Cheers
Old Jul 30, 2013, 1:35 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
As a DL peon, I scored JFK-LAX-JFK for 25k and $5 in taxes. I thought low level awards for non elites were non existent.

Booked in June for August outbound and April 2014 return. I will gladly pay the $150 change fee when we know return dates.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:04 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond; SPG Gold; MR Platinum :)
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
As a DL peon, I scored JFK-LAX-JFK for 25k and $5 in taxes. I thought low level awards for non elites were non existent.

Booked in June for August outbound and April 2014 return. I will gladly pay the $150 change fee when we know return dates.
U do realize that when you make the change it will cause you more miles to rebook because low awards won't be available right?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
Originally Posted by monsrt
U do realize that when you make the change it will cause you more miles to rebook because low awards won't be available right?
One would presume he would be looking for low level space again. Now finding that space is another story.

That can be a tough route to find low level on.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
As usual, availability on lowest-level Asia awards this summer was bad, even well in advance and with more miles needed at minimum than on some other airlines or alliances. I basically wanted an ATL-BKK-ATL monthlong but ended up with ATL-NRT-BKK/MNL-NGO-DTW-ATL at 105K, with the MNL-ATL in J. Much better to get something in return like the partial J if you have to spend more miles. I looked repeatedly at modifying, but no way, Jose.

As in past summers, it takes a painstaking process of querying each segment one-by-one and playing your stopover or open jaw card as necessary and then plugging the whole thing into a multi-city to see if it'll take. Which is way beyond what the average non-FTer can do or wants to do. Looking for straight RTs online or on the phone is generally futile, though that's what the system is geared to.

Also redeemed on Korean (KE miles) for the first time, even with their fuel surcharge and paranoid credit card charge verification bit. 'Twas an ICN-ULN RT at 30K for 10 days that included Naadam. Really unforgettable. Cebu Pacific provided the BKK-MNL-ICN-MNL segments that stitched the whole thing togather, and it took a 4-hour booking session in February to nail it all down. Thankfully I got only minor schedule changes in the interim.

Also recently did ATL-FAI-ATL in early June at 25K, thanks probably to late cancellations. The MSP-FAI seasonal can be a real plum, as you've got a decent chance at an upgrade if you have status.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:38 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
paranoid credit card charge verification?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott, AA, DL
Smile

Booked Sunday 7/27, for travel 5/28/14 -> 6/10-14

ATL-PIT-CDG (3.5 hr stopover)
AMS-ATL (nonstop)
All Delta metal

2 Economy, 60,000 each (low)
$62.50 each taxes, etc.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 1:20 pm

Sucess

After countless attempts, agents, time online, I have gotten a pretty insane routing for 127,500. I will go Aug 23rd TPA-OKC-HNL-NRT-ICN-OKC-TPA all on KE flight numbers! a few days in each, 10 day turn around! But feel like I got me "miles worth".
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
LAX-SEA in AS F
SEA-KIX in DL Business Elite
Stopover
KIX-ICN on new KE J
ICN-BKK on old KE J but on a 747
Destination
BKK-NRT-LAX in Delta Business Elite (747 BKK-NRT and a 777 NRT-LAX)

All for less than 90 days from now...will be great, now just need to book tickets to HKT from BKK and I'm all good.

And obviously it's all low level so just 120k miles for 6 flights and two destinations in Asia.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: DL,US,UA
In the Couldn't-Have-Done-It-Without-FlyerTalk category, I'm happy to report a low-tier European award on partner airlines.

February 2014: ATL-AMS-EDI with KLM
July 2, 2014: CDG-ATL nonstop with Air France.

I found the outbound flights in the time-tested segment-by-segment dl.com approach, put that itinerary on hold, and phoned in 331 days ahead for the return. I've been checking Expert Flyer, which consistently showed economy availability for Air France Tuesdays through Thursdays, although Delta's website shows those as unavailable.

The agent I spoke with at Delta at first only offered me First Class seats -- which, as a Kettle, I cannot afford -- but found the economy seats when I gently mentioned that EF showed plenty of availability there.

Thank you all for your good advice (but really, it shouldn't be this hard to do)!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM HH Gold Marriott Gold IHG Spire
Booked DTW - LHR low business award for 10/17. Return CDG - DTW on 10/23 low economy for two. Booked these 07/01/13. Was hoping low business would become available for the return and today it did! Took five minutes calling the platinum line. Two business seats, 200,000 miles with fees totaling $279.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: DL PM
Just booked ATL-STR BRU-JFK-ATL in June 2014 for 2 pax in BE for 100k miles and $67 each!!! Thanks go to Award Nexus. Would never have been able to piece it together without them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.