Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:25 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Booked May 2015
Scheduled Apr 2, 2016

ROC-JFK-AMS | 67,500
JFK-AMS | 67,500

Unfortunately I had to change the above tickets this week. I've heard how awful SM pricing close-in is, however...

Booked Feb 22, 2016
Scheduled Mar 19, 2016

JFK-LHR-AMS x2 | 67,500 each

The married segment availability thing is total B.S., but we only paid $80 for ROC-JFK on DL. The taxes went up about $35 each, and we lost the nonstop, but given such short notice, I am very pleased.
I always regret doing a connection in LHR when flying to AMS. Albeit, I always do it from Boston. I'm starting to feel that BOS-AMS in Y is better than BOS-LHR-AMS in J due to the elapsed travel time and inconvenience of terminal 3 to terminal 4 at LHR and re-clearing security. Perhaps, JFK-LHR is better. I've done JFK-AMS a number of times in the past year, and along with Boston departures they are just such short convenient flights.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I always regret doing a connection in LHR when flying to AMS. Albeit, I always do it from Boston. I'm starting to feel that BOS-AMS in Y is better than BOS-LHR-AMS in J due to the elapsed travel time and inconvenience of terminal 3 to terminal 4 at LHR and re-clearing security. Perhaps, JFK-LHR is better. I've done JFK-AMS a number of times in the past year, and along with Boston departures they are just such short convenient flights.
I see where you are coming from. I think I was most disappointed about losing the nonstop.

In this case, I am traveling with my 67 year old mother, and while she is completely able-bodied, the better seat helps reduce overall fatigue. We don't have time constraints so why not.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I see where you are coming from. I think I was most disappointed about losing the nonstop.

In this case, I am traveling with my 67 year old mother, and while she is completely able-bodied, the better seat helps reduce overall fatigue. We don't have time constraints so why not.
I think about this a lot (well, not a lot.. but you get the point).

If you can swing a 1 hour (or slightly over 1 hour) connection at LHR, perhaps it is not so bad. But, that also requires you "hustle" to your connection (and through security). Not to mention, it just always seems the runway time (taxi) at LHR is so long (not that it's so great at AMS when they use the Polderbaan).

Anyway, if the connection is longer (2-3 hours) you sort of are stuck with the "meh" SkyTeam Lounge at Terminal 4 and a flight to AMS that is now an elapsed travel time of 50%++ (more time) to AMS (by transiting LHR). Anyway, I am just not a fan. Exception, is AMS-LHR-BOS which allows access to the VS ClubHouse prior to the LHR-BOS flight. That makes up for the inconvenience a bit; but then again, I tend to do the shortest connection anyway so not much time for more than a manicure in the VS ClubHouse.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I think about this a lot (well, not a lot.. but you get the point).

If you can swing a 1 hour (or slightly over 1 hour) connection at LHR, perhaps it is not so bad. But, that also requires you "hustle" to your connection (and through security). Not to mention, it just always seems the runway time (taxi) at LHR is so long (not that it's so great at AMS when they use the Polderbaan).

Anyway, if the connection is longer (2-3 hours) you sort of are stuck with the "meh" SkyTeam Lounge at Terminal 4 and a flight to AMS that is now an elapsed travel time of 50%++ (more time) to AMS (by transiting LHR). Anyway, I am just not a fan. Exception, is AMS-LHR-BOS which allows access to the VS ClubHouse prior to the LHR-BOS flight. That makes up for the inconvenience a bit; but then again, I tend to do the shortest connection anyway so not much time for more than a manicure in the VS ClubHouse.
The other consideration is award space vs paid fares. I think in your case you do TATL that you can save the miles until nonstops are available at 62.5k miles to burn them. If they aren't and you're buying a Z fare, the difference between, e.g., $2500 RT with connections and $3000 RT for the nonstops isn't all that significant. OTOH, for someone booking a once-a-year trip to Europe, the connection might be 62.5k miles each way while the nonstop is 125k miles each way. I'm not willing to pay a 100% convenience factor, but I probably would pay the 20% convenience factor in my paid example.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by mattp1987
The other consideration is award space vs paid fares. I think in your case you do TATL that you can save the miles until nonstops are available at 62.5k miles to burn them. If they aren't and you're buying a Z fare, the difference between, e.g., $2500 RT with connections and $3000 RT for the nonstops isn't all that significant. OTOH, for someone booking a once-a-year trip to Europe, the connection might be 62.5k miles each way while the nonstop is 125k miles each way. I'm not willing to pay a 100% convenience factor, but I probably would pay the 20% convenience factor in my paid example.
Oh, I understand and agree. Just speaking from personal experience. I did 3x (one flight) BOS-LHR-AMS in December and it was pretty awful (and low Delta One redemption level of 62.5k miles). The flight from Boston was just over 6 hours, I believe JFK usually winds up at around 6.5 hours. So little time to sleep, but then hardly sleeping and having to deal with LHR and security again. It's just not a premium experience, IMO. So, I was just sharing my personal opinion. Been redeeming lots of nonstop LOW awards for the kids lately BOS-AMS in Y using both SkyBonus and SkyMiles. While I personally do not enjoy Y (heck, I've only flown international long-haul in Y once in the past 2 years), I just like to give perspective on the very short East Coast to Europe transatlantic flights.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: Delta - Silver
Ended up snagging 3 Delta One seats in June to Munich at low redemption. I'm quite pleased given the time of year and flights. About time I was able to put these miles to good use!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
I was gold on Delta for a couple of years when I lived in a Delta-friendly place. No more, since I moved back to DC.

Anyway, I used most of my miles for last minute domestic hops. But I just happily used the remainder for 2 one-way tickets in VS Upper Class on the IAD-LHR nonstop in late May - 62,500 miles per. (Returning in BA first using AA miles and the dreaded YQ fees.) The availability calendar was spotty but there were enough available days to piece something together.

First vacation in three years, yay!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL DM
JFK - FCO 6/11
VCE - JFK 6/21

All nonstop, all Delta one, 125k each.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I booked SEA-AMS-JRO in coach for 40K. What I'm kicking myself over is when I did my initial search as a r/t the return on the date I needed was also available for 40K. I didn't hit purchase and when I went back and searched 3 days later the return was gone.

Booked January 2016
Flying early March 2016

I'm only DL Silver (via MM status) so I didn't purchase them when I saw them because I have to pay $150 to change/refund the ticket. If I were still DM I would have done it no problem.

I used UA miles for the return and got 80K business one-way on the flights I wanted so I'm happy.

-RM
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:47 pm

PVG - DTW, 747 upper deck, 70K miles + $30.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:23 pm

BNA-DTW-NRT
NRT-DTW-BNA

In April for cherry blossom season. D1 the entire way, UD on a 747 DTW-NRT and back. 125k miles.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Booked AUS-LAX-SAN-LAX-AUS for 21.5k miles. I'll take it!
Old Mar 19, 2016, 5:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rwoman
Booked AUS-LAX-SAN-LAX-AUS for 21.5k miles. I'll take it!
People often forget the value of the Saver Y award, good find.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
TXL-BOS in J, first week of May. Website wanted 150,000 miles minimum, as the AMS-BOS & CDG-BOS nonstops were only available at high levels. But I did some extra research and LHR-BOS was available at 62.5k on VS and TXL-AMS-LHR was available in low on KL. So I called and asked about the TXL-AMS-LHR-BOS possibility and it priced out at 62.5k, all in J. Score!
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA,UA, BA, DAL, FB
SGN-ICN-DTW-ORD. Business class, KE to ICN, upper deck seats 747 to DTW. 80K miles and $70. Had we booked the Korean ICN-ORD nonstop, that would have been a mere 400K SkyPesos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.