FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Ticket Success - Post It Here
View Single Post
Old Oct 18, 2013, 3:09 pm
jkatzen

Programs: UA Gold   |   Former: DL Diamond, HA Pualani Gold
Yesterday booked two tickets ATL-LHR-BOM-LHR-ATL in J for about 10 days in January.

120k miles each.

ATL-LHR-ATL on Delta
LHR-BOM-LHR on Virgin Atlantic

Phone rep couldn't find it. I found it ONLY through an economy search on the web site, and it was provided as a business option for fewer miles than the economy tickets. (When I searched business, it didn't come up exactly, and similar itineraries were over 200k miles each.)

Booked one directly online easily. Second ticket was hard. After trying to pay cash (and being told Virgin would only sell it as two separate itineraries, with the India portion on Virgin stock, for a total of $7500, compared to $4500 through KLM/AF), I managed to string it together by award booking LHR-BOM-LHR online and then calling Delta to find low ATL-LHR-ATL to attach to it.

Right now, both tickets are the same for ATL-LHR-BOM-LHR. The last hop over the Atlantic is on two separate Delta flights, but I'm hoping the second will become available in low over the next several months to be changed to match the first.

(Biggest surprise was how hard it was to pay cash for one of the tickets, such that they actually lost my money. I think they don't want Delta folks to use LHR as a Europe hub.)