Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by ffI
How did you skip the 150$ non US booking fee? or did you do it online?
$150 non-US booking fee?

I know there's fuel surcharges and other fees that make Europe/ex-Europe awards very pricey in comparison to ex-US bookings, but I've never heard of a "non-US booking fee".
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ffI
How did you skip the 150$ non US booking fee? or did you do it online?
WhatchutalkinboutWillis?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:32 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by fredq2
3X CDG-RSW-CDG 25K SM +$5 fee each July
3X CDG-RSW-CDG 32.5K SM +$5 fee each Aug
20K SM upgrade Y fare to BE, DTW-LAX (agent added that one) and LAX-SYD
CDG-RSW is TATL. How are you getting that for domestic coach looking rates? (25-32.5k)
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:48 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Australian desk charges a fee i think or something
Old Sep 29, 2013, 2:37 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Plat
Was able to land a good redemption covering Australia, Bali and India in December over the busy Christmas and New Year period. 3 PAX.

Seattle-LAX (DL F) -> LAX-Brisbane (Virgin Australia Biz) Stopover -> BNE- DPS Bali (VA Biz) Destination
Open Jaw: Delhi-Paris (AF Biz) -> Paris->Seattle (DL Biz)

Will use a non-DL J redemption Bali-Delhi.

Had to chisel this one out over several months since April to get to current form. Free changes as a PM helped a lot. Purely for entertainment value, apparently my redemption is worth $17K :-)

For 3rd time in 4 yrs, I was able to get a high-value international J redemption (low) from my SkyPesos but still, the stingy availability means big compromises and TONS of time spend working and re-working the system.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gmttr1
Was able to land a good redemption covering Australia, Bali and India in December over the busy Christmas and New Year period. 3 PAX.

Seattle-LAX (DL F) -> LAX-Brisbane (Virgin Australia Biz) Stopover -> BNE- DPS Bali (VA Biz) Destination
Open Jaw: Delhi-Paris (AF Biz) -> Paris->Seattle (DL Biz)

Will use a non-DL J redemption Bali-Delhi.

Had to chisel this one out over several months since April to get to current form. Free changes as a PM helped a lot. Purely for entertainment value, apparently my redemption is worth $17K :-)

For 3rd time in 4 yrs, I was able to get a high-value international J redemption (low) from my SkyPesos but still, the stingy availability means big compromises and TONS of time spend working and re-working the system.
Wow, that must have taken forever to piece together.

I just redeemed 2 J tickets on Virgina Australia for LAX-BNE (stopover), BNE-CNS (destination), and SYD (open jaw)-LAX. Will probably use Avios points for the CNS-SYD flight I need.

I'm hoping that once I hit platinum I can tack on some JFK-LAX domestic legs to the beginning and end of the itinerary, but given Delta's availability am not counting on it. I expect to just have to buy them. Was still a great use of 300k Skymiles.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: Foodland Maika'i Plastic Card, DL GM when it meant something
Finally burned 'em good

Since 2008 I've been looking to redeem my Pesos at a decent value. Just managed to book my family of 5 from East Coast to Oz. DL to LAX, VA across the water. The Mrs. and I in F/J, the kids will sit in back on the way out but get to join us in the front cabin on the return. Never saw 5 Biz class on a VA flight before, but there they were. And OMG, low-level availability to LAX whereas before all I ever saw was an endless sea of yellow.

The only thing I am bummed about is not getting to fly on the CZ A380. I kept going back-and-forth: 24 hours via CAN in A380 or 13 hours direct on a 777? In the end the time savings won out.

Last edited by timstravel; Oct 1, 2013 at 9:17 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
when?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
LIR-ATL-JFK-MXP MXP-JFK-ATL -GCM all in F/J 100K Mix of DL/AZ
ATL-JFK-NRT NRT-ICN ICN-SIN DPS-SIN-ICN ICN-NRT-ATL 120K DL/KE/KL J 120K
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DLATL777
LIR-ATL-JFK-MXP MXP-JFK-ATL -GCM all in F/J 100K Mix of DL/AZ
ATL-JFK-NRT NRT-ICN ICN-SIN DPS-SIN-ICN ICN-NRT-ATL 120K DL/KE/KL J 120K
Burn before the levels go up, nice job. ^
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:01 am

Quick suggestion on the JFK-LAX. Be sure to also check on coach availability and when you do so, absolutely make sure you check the "I am travelling" option (assuming that is the case). You are able to access special Medallion coach award availability - and that extended availability applies to all your travelling companions.

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Wow, that must have taken forever to piece together.

I just redeemed 2 J tickets on Virgina Australia for LAX-BNE (stopover), BNE-CNS (destination), and SYD (open jaw)-LAX. Will probably use Avios points for the CNS-SYD flight I need.

I'm hoping that once I hit platinum I can tack on some JFK-LAX domestic legs to the beginning and end of the itinerary, but given Delta's availability am not counting on it. I expect to just have to buy them. Was still a great use of 300k Skymiles.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:05 am

Re: CS A380 - I hope you know that CZ attracts nuisance fuel surcharges - about $100-150ish per leg based on itineraries I probed. For a family of 5, those surcharges would multiply fast!

Originally Posted by timstravel
Since 2008 I've been looking to redeem my Pesos at a decent value. Just managed to book my family of 5 from East Coast to Oz. DL to LAX, VA across the water. The Mrs. and I in F/J, the kids will sit in back on the way out but get to join us in the front cabin on the return. Never saw 5 Biz class on a VA flight before, but there they were. And OMG, low-level availability to LAX whereas before all I ever saw was an endless sea of yellow.

The only thing I am bummed about is not getting to fly on the CZ A380. I kept going back-and-forth: 24 hours via CAN in A380 or 13 hours direct on a 777? In the end the time savings won out.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: A few
Just booked IAD-LHR-MAN-LHR-JFK-RDU for 100k in business class plus $342 in taxes and fees. Leaving tomorrow back Tuesday for a family event.

IAD-LHR-MAN-LHR is on VS and LHR-JFK is on DL. I really want it to be on VS and there is a perfect flight showing available on Delta.com but getting the dreaded

We're sorry. One or more of the flights you selected just sold out. Please search again to view and select alternate flights.

error message. I am thinking it is phantom availability. Virgin has the space available, but don't think DL is getting access. But is there any other explanation? I saw some stuff about married segments earlier in the thread though can't see how it could affect it, but would love to be able to get this one segment on VS so I can spend the day at the LHR clubhouse!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 6:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Just booked IAD-LHR-MAN-LHR-JFK-RDU for 100k in business class plus $342 in taxes and fees. Leaving tomorrow back Tuesday for a family event.

IAD-LHR-MAN-LHR is on VS and LHR-JFK is on DL. I really want it to be on VS and there is a perfect flight showing available on Delta.com but getting the dreaded

We're sorry. One or more of the flights you selected just sold out. Please search again to view and select alternate flights.

error message. I am thinking it is phantom availability. Virgin has the space available, but don't think DL is getting access. But is there any other explanation? I saw some stuff about married segments earlier in the thread though can't see how it could affect it, but would love to be able to get this one segment on VS so I can spend the day at the LHR clubhouse!
Well done, especially leaving tomorrow! The IAD option has helped me out on DL awards to Europe. How are you getting to IAD?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by CMK10
Well done, especially leaving tomorrow! The IAD option has helped me out on DL awards to Europe. How are you getting to IAD?
Using what I describe as the glue that holds together all other awards... 4.5k Avios to take AA to DCA. Followed by a Uber ride which I will chalk down as stealth YQ!

Just wish I could get that return to open up... hopefully tomorrow morning.

The cool thing is I only booked today, so never mind the 72 hour rule, I can cancel or change right up until departure if something changes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.