Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by xxpert
Super excited!! i booked my first international business class award ticket.

IAD-AMS-NBO A330, 747
ADD-AMS-IAD A330, A330

120k miles.....How did I do??
very well - gold star
Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Super excited!! i booked my first international business class award ticket.

IAD-AMS-NBO A330, 747
ADD-AMS-IAD A330, A330

120k miles.....How did I do??
Very nice. Total taxes and fees?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Very nice. Total taxes and fees?
$23.20 now i just have to figure out if I get lounge access in AMS with an award business class ticket
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
$23.20 now i just have to figure out if I get lounge access in AMS with an award business class ticket
No need to figure out anything... a J (paid or award) ticket gets you into any of the KL lounges that you would like.

Nice job!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by EssentialGaL
I just booked MNL-SFO-MNL for 95,000 miles + $50 for taxes!

MNL - SFO DL Business Class
SFO - MNL KE.X
How did I do?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by EssentialGaL
I just booked MNL-SFO-MNL for 95,000 miles + $50 for taxes!

MNL - SFO Business Class
SFO - MNL KE.X
Yes, this is a great deal. Pretty much ANY Delta award booking in low/low is considered a great deal nowadays. (I'm not so sure about a Hawaii-San Diego trip for 75k in F that I recently booked, but that's another story).

The 95k miles is a biz/coach award matching the chart on Delta.com for "Northern Asia to USA" The chart for "SE Asia to USA" specifies more miles. It seems odd that Delta considers MNL to be northern asia, but in this case it works to Essential Gal's favor.

The OP may want to monitor availability on the return to see if biz class availability opens up later, assuming the additional miles and a change fee is not a problem.

Finally, ^ Good Job! ^ and welcome Essential Gal!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:08 pm

Anyone aware of Korean Air not showing/releasing award availability more than 9 months out at all?

I have a trip (for 2 pax) booked to BKK/SIN 6/22 - 7/6 to and from LAX. Currently booked on CZ, but that has a decent YQ. The fee + desire to try a different airline has me looking for KE.

I know the 6/22 falls during a blackout, but 7/6 is clear. I called Delta, read them about 10 different flights (just from ICN-US) to see if any space was available in J. I only found 1 seat in total for 7/6, and the agent remarked that they probably hadn't released any space. This doesn't sound right to me (as evidenced by the fact that I found 1 seat) and that it's well under 330 days, but figured I'd double check with this group.

Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
OGG-LAX-DTW(stopover)-ATL-SJO(dest)-ATL(overnight connection)-SEA-GEG

All in the back and SEA-GEG are on Alaska. I'm pretty happy for 50K/person considering I've changed my dates and final destination half a dozen times already.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by nittany987
Anyone aware of Korean Air not showing/releasing award availability more than 9 months out at all?

I know the 6/22 falls during a blackout, but 7/6 is clear. I called Delta, read them about 10 different flights (just from ICN-US) to see if any space was available in J. I only found 1 seat in total for 7/6, and the agent remarked that they probably hadn't released any space. This doesn't sound right to me (as evidenced by the fact that I found 1 seat) and that it's well under 330 days, but figured I'd double check with this group!
KE releases 330 days out (or perhaps a few days later for when Delta can see them). Weeks ago, I called and the agent saw some transpacific availability around end of August/first of Sept.

Check other US gateways including LAX.

Last edited by Bowgie; Nov 2, 2012 at 3:08 am
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
I'm amazed at how easy the following booking was:

TUL-SLC-LAX-BNE-ZQN (DL-Y/DL-Y/VA-J/DJ-J)
CHC-MEL (DJ-J)
MEL-LAX-SLC-TUL (VA-J/DL-Y/DL-Y)

150,000 miles / person

I held LAX-BNE // MEL-LAX online and then called in to add the other legs. On my first call, I was able to add the US domestic legs without an issue, but the agent (CVG based) didn't sound like he was familiar with how to book the NZ portions (when I said, "I'd like to add legs from AUS-NZ" before I stated destinations he said "that's not available." Haha!). So I went ahead and ticketed the trip at $134 / person in taxes. Total of a 4 minute call. I immediately called back and reached another agent (HIB based), explained what I wanted with flight numbers, and was put on hold. After maybe 2 minutes she came back and said that those flights were available & booked, mileage would be the same, and that the new taxes were $82 / person... Cool ! Another 4-5 minute call. Less than 10 minutes all in and all low miles without any fuel surcharges. Life is good! ^^^

Also, I can finally say that I've had a great experience with a HIBRES agent! Just today in another thread I mentioned my terrible HIBRES luck, well it looks like it's finally turned around!
DJ flight can be booked using skymiles?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pbd456
DJ flight can be booked using skymiles?
Yes, but IIRC, while VA-operated awards can (notionally) be booked online at delta.com, DJ-operated is through DL reservations only.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Next April. LAS-LAX-SYD (2-day stopover) -ZQN - (open jaw) - AKL-SYD-LAX-LAS. All BE or F except AKL-SYD in coach. 2 seats @ 150K SkyPesos each. All overwater flights on VA/DJ. 777-300ER flat beds LAX-SYD-LAX. Itin took about 10 date-flight changes to get it all in place, with help from DL agents from 4 different call centers, all of whom worked hard and did their best. VA/DJ 737-800s (used for the trans-Tasman routes) only have -8- biz seats! About $170 each in taxes & fees.

Lesson learned: just because VA/DJ has award seats available doesn't mean that they're willing to give them to DL pax using SkyPesos tix!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
First Intl Award tkt.

2 in Business (O) DTW-ICN-DPS-ICN-DTW 120,000/ ea.

1 day stop over to see Seoul and then on to Bali for our anniversary. I'm happy, but....I spent WAY too many hours on EF, Award Nexus, and delta.com to get it.

Maps
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by mapsgl
First Intl Award tkt.

2 in Business (O) DTW-ICN-DPS-ICN-DTW 120,000/ ea.

1 day stop over to see Seoul and then on to Bali for our anniversary. I'm happy, but....I spent WAY too many hours on EF, Award Nexus, and delta.com to get it.

Maps
Congratulations on your success, I m looking the similar routes, but no lucks on July 2013. Any advise for 4 business for 120,000. Dtw-icn-Kul-icn-dtw.

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by coco11
Congratulations on your success, I m looking the similar routes, but no lucks on July 2013. Any advise for 4 business for 120,000. Dtw-icn-Kul-icn-dtw.

Thanks in advance
The best bet for four J TPAC tickets is CZ's LAX-CAN on the A380. You're unlikely to find it on a KE flight and I don't think I've ever seen someone report four seats on one DL TPAC flight in J (at low mileage).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.