Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:26 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Booked for October about a month and a half out... simple MSP-SFO-MSP at 25k. Really wanted the non-stop flights and the cash price was high enough to use miles.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'm so bummed. Had to cancel a KE J RT award just now. It's been so hard to find any low level KE J for me using DL miles. Couldn't pass up $300 F tickets out of RGN, though.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in, again.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
Originally Posted by wco81
Originally Posted by OLYflyer
My latest

SFO-LAX (DL Y)
LAX-FCO (AZ J -777 refurb)
FCO-BCN (AZ J - 321) dest + o/j
CDG-FCO (AF J - 320) stop/ovr
FCO-LAX (AZ J - 777 again)
LAX- SFO (DL Y)

100k + $115tx (x2 pax)
What dates?

Did you find it online or call?
Booked for next summer. AZ seems quite good about releasing 2-3 J seats on most US TATL flights at t-330. J space on East coast routes is even more plentiful.

Tricky part was getting the routing to fall under MPM. MAD or VLC were bust while BCN fits by ~50 miles. All partner flights were found using Expertflyer and then I called in to PM line to book.

Entire call took 17 mins from dial tone to receipt of email confirmation. Agent remarked it was the easiest time booking AZ she had ever had.

Amazing how much knowing the inventory before you call teamed with a useful phone agent helps.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Booked for next summer. AZ seems quite good about releasing 2-3 J seats on most US TATL flights at t-330. J space on East coast routes is even more plentiful.

Tricky part was getting the routing to fall under MPM. MAD or VLC were bust while BCN fits by ~50 miles. All partner flights were found using Expertflyer and then I called in to PM line to book.

Entire call took 17 mins from dial tone to receipt of email confirmation. Agent remarked it was the easiest time booking AZ she had ever had.

Amazing how much knowing the inventory before you call teamed with a useful phone agent helps.
Thanks I called in and got the international segments okay. But when they add the SFO-LAX and LAX-SFO segments, the mileage required goes from 100k to either 180k (business) or 132k (coach).

That's odd, I flew that LAX-FCO segment in 2011 and I had to fly down to LAX on my own dime.

But this year, I flew LAX-CDG (followed by CDG-FLR) and they gave it all to me at 100k. The tricky thing was, initially it was coach and then later it got upgraded to business. Not that it matters much on those small planes and short flights between Northern and Southern CA.

There definitely was no availability on AF for the TATL.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
Originally Posted by wco81

Thanks I called in and got the international segments okay. But when they add the SFO-LAX and LAX-SFO segments, the mileage required goes from 100k to either 180k (business) or 132k (coach).

That's odd, I flew that LAX-FCO segment in 2011 and I had to fly down to LAX on my own dime.

But this year, I flew LAX-CDG (followed by CDG-FLR) and they gave it all to me at 100k. The tricky thing was, initially it was coach and then later it got upgraded to business. Not that it matters much on those small planes and short flights between Northern and Southern CA.

There definitely was no availability on AF for the TATL.
If you can do OAK look at the DL flights OAK-LAX for add'l chance to find LOW lvl space.

If you can do STS or SJC look into AS flights to LAX as well (Y only birds).
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If you can do OAK look at the DL flights OAK-LAX for add'l chance to find LOW lvl space.

If you can do STS or SJC look into AS flights to LAX as well (Y only birds).
I was able to get SFO-LAX and LAX-SFO legs added to the itinerary at the same 100k level. They're economy but I may get upgraded and even if I'm not upgraded, it's a short flight and I don't have to deal with getting a Southwest ticket and checking bags at LAX.

I just have to book the whole itinerary by midnight EST Saturday.

But I've since found out that a lot of the attractions I was interested in are still closed at the end of May when these flights are scheduled.

So I checked a month later and they say there's no LAX-FCO availability on Saturdays or Sundays.

The first guy I talked to said DL and AF are in some kind of negotiations and AF upgrades are suspended for the time being, which may also affect AF award availability to DL customers.

Maybe the later dates will become available in later. It would cost me $150 more but may be worth it.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:50 pm
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by Deemus7
Be sure to check LHR as a connecting point to catch the KQ red-eye to NBO. Not sure what a 16 hour layover in NBO would be like, but Mrs. Deems and I decided that the overnight flight and 2.5 hour layover would work better. My preliminary research seemed to indicate that NBO airport hotels were not very plentiful nor luxurious. I highlighted my booking success in an earlier post.

FWIW, I had to press the agent several times about my flights, as she kept trying to tell me that I couldn't do what I wanted to do. I knew I had a valid routing that was within MPM, and she eventually came back with everything confirmed. If you don't like the first answer, call back!

Good luck with the booking! The Seychelles have been a dream destination of ours for a long time, and we're stoked to have made it happen with points & miles!!
Thanks for the input. I think the LHR connection is much more feasible- I changed my itin now.

I just fed my new itin to the agent and she simply refused to see any flights NBO - SEZ at all. I'm booking 310 days out. airfrance.us shows them in the date overview (can't go to details for flights more than 10 months out).
Will call again now...

Update: Second agent tried a long sell but said no availability using Skymiles NBO-SEZ although SEZ-NBO is readily available...Very odd - the same segment was available just 2 days ago.

If someone with KVS access could check O/W availability for 8/01/13 NBO-SEZ that would be great.

Last edited by MightyTravels; Sep 23, 2012 at 4:58 pm
Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
One-way in First:

ANC-SLC-ATL-RDU for 45,000 miles and $5.

Pretty bad I know, but I'm saving cash where I can this year for a big move next year and this was $350 I can put aside. There were numerous Y awards but I figured if I was spending miles, I'd rather do it for F, especially as the first two flights are fairly long.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by highman123
Thanks for the input. I think the LHR connection is much more feasible- I changed my itin now.

I just fed my new itin to the agent and she simply refused to see any flights NBO - SEZ at all. I'm booking 310 days out. airfrance.us shows them in the date overview (can't go to details for flights more than 10 months out).
Will call again now...

Update: Second agent tried a long sell but said no availability using Skymiles NBO-SEZ although SEZ-NBO is readily available...Very odd - the same segment was available just 2 days ago.

If someone with KVS access could check O/W availability for 8/01/13 NBO-SEZ that would be great.
Did you ask about doing the last leg in economy?

Are you PM or DM? If so, you could probably book this as an open jaw and then add the NBO-SEZ leg when it becomes available (and you could do the same if not PM/DM, but it'll cost you $150). Also make sure you don't have more than 24 hours in the UK...that departure tax is brutal, especially for long-haul F/J
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
As a regular Skymiles member:
CMH-ATL (ended up being DTW due to a delay)-HNL-DTW-CMH, August/September 2010, 40,000 miles + $10 in coach.

As a Silver:
CMH-DCA-JFK-CMH, February 2012, 25,000 miles + tax in coach
Old Sep 25, 2012, 3:17 pm
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by Deemus7
Did you ask about doing the last leg in economy?

Are you PM or DM? If so, you could probably book this as an open jaw and then add the NBO-SEZ leg when it becomes available (and you could do the same if not PM/DM, but it'll cost you $150). Also make sure you don't have more than 24 hours in the UK...that departure tax is brutal, especially for long-haul F/J
Good idea - but no economy seats either (Delta can't see any seats after 10/23/2012!!!) and no status for me Plus I already have an OJ due to the minimal availability of AF from the West Coast next year. Ditto for LHR, I avoid any long stop overs there for some time
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:55 pm

2 1/2 solid years on FT and finally living up to the handle...

Honeymoon: April/May 2013

Coach: (DL) DTW-LHR (9 hour layover)

Business Class: (KQ) LHR-NBO-SEZx

Business Class: (OK) AUH-PRGx (stopover)-AMS-DTW

Cost: 120,000 SkyMiles + $218.50 USD pp

In between I'm buying a one-way SEZ-DXB (23 hour layover)-MLEx coach seat on EK for $600 USD.

Converting 200K Club Carlson points for a MLE-AUH coach award on EY.

Accommodations
:

4 nights @ Hilton Seychelles - Northolme = 145,000 HHonors

4 nights @ Hilton Seychelles - Labriz = 145,000 HHonors

1 night @ Grand Hyatt Dubai = Chase Hyatt anniversary FREE night

5 nights @ Park Hyatt Maldives = 145,000 Hyatt points (Passport Escape- includes 3 dinners for 2)

PRG is TBD....

Thank you to all FT veterans for educating me!

Last edited by seychellesbound; Sep 25, 2012 at 8:04 pm
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:38 pm
Used to be highman123

Originally Posted by seychellesbound

In between I'm buying a one-way SEZ-DXB (23 hour layover)-MLEx coach seat on EK for $600 USD.

Converting 200K Club Carlson points for a MLE-AUH coach award on EY.

Accommodations
:

4 nights @ Hilton Seychelles - Northolme = 145,000 HHonors

4 nights @ Hilton Seychelles - Labriz = 145,000 HHonors

1 night @ Grand Hyatt Dubai = Chase Hyatt anniversary FREE night

5 nights @ Park Hyatt Maldives = 145,000 Hyatt points (Passport Escape- includes 3 dinners for 2)

PRG is TBD....

Thank you to all FT veterans for educating me!
Congrats well done!

Passport escape is the way to go in the Maldives.

I think AA allows EY one-way redemptions sez-Mel if you want to preserve cash for the Maldives.

How did you book the NBO-SEZ segment - I have 5 agents now refusing to see KQ 450 at all after Oct 2012 ;(

Also I could not get Delta agents to find KLM segments that showed available as classic on airfrance.us to see as such. Any tricks you can share?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by seychellesbound

I'm surprised the fees are that low going through LHR and with Delta charging fuel surcharges on KQ flights.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by highman123
Congrats well done!

Passport escape is the way to go in the Maldives.

I think AA allows EY one-way redemptions sez-Mel if you want to preserve cash for the Maldives.

How did you book the NBO-SEZ segment - I have 5 agents now refusing to see KQ 450 at all after Oct 2012 ;(

Also I could not get Delta agents to find KLM segments that showed available as classic on airfrance.us to see as such. Any tricks you can share?
I used AF.com to find classic availability. The key is to find space on KQ LHR-NBO not KL AMS-NBO. The first DL agent I tried couldn't find space either......be persistent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.